Why become a member? ×

MXR BlowTorch For Fuzz, What For Grit?

Phaedrus

Hi Gang,

I love the gritty tones I can get with my Hartke VXL Bass Attack, but the inability to control its volume boost when the Harmonics is engaged is a problem I can't work around.

I'm using an MXR BlowTorch for fuzz (think Muse's Starlight), but I also need something for dirty grit (think Roundabout, Siberian Khatru etc). The VXL does Roundabout etc really well, and I love the Shape control of the VXL, but what's out there that can replace the VXL for that gritty tone? I only need the tone, not the connectivity functionality of the VXL.

Tech 21 Bass VT? It's pretty expensive, but I'd consider it if it was the right pedal.

FWIW, I bought an MXR El Grande for fuzz, but the noise is atrocious when I pump the gain to get the fuzz tone I want - the BlowTorch doesn't seem to suffer anywhere near the same amount of noise.

Thanks,

Mark

I use an MXR M-80 for general drive, it pairs with fuzz pedals nicely and is blendable with the clean signal. I replaced my ailing Hartke pedal with it after trying a few different ones, it seemed to do what the Hartke did and more (also built a lot better!)

Another nice drive pedal i had was the Owen Bass Gremlin, big hefty pedal but it does sound great and is built like a tank

• 4 weeks later...

I use a dha vt 2 std for added beef and grit. Chuck it in before my blow torch and get some massive tones! Goes from a light fat grit to quite a gnarly overdrive. Its two stage a true bypass. Only drawbaack i guess is size (quite large) and mains power. Its lso a preamp/ di. Im

Also waiting rrival of a turbo rat to see what that does!

[quote name='Salt on your Bass?' post='954302' date='Sep 13 2010, 07:23 AM']I use a dha vt 2 std for added beef and grit. Chuck it in before my blow torch and get some massive tones! Goes from a light fat grit to quite a gnarly overdrive. Its two stage a true bypass. Only drawbaack i guess is size (quite large) and mains power. Its lso a preamp/ di. Im

Also waiting rrival of a turbo rat to see what that does![/quote]

+1 on the dha, its a great pedal

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='930318' date='Aug 19 2010, 09:24 PM']I use an MXR M-80 for general drive, it pairs with fuzz pedals nicely and is blendable with the clean signal. I replaced my ailing Hartke pedal with it after trying a few different ones, it seemed to do what the Hartke did and more (also built a lot better!)[/quote]

Yeah, have a look at the M-80. Great pedal, you won't be disappointed.

they're not cheap, but the wounded paw battering ram does a fantastic job of mild overdrive, and it has a switchable fuzz in parallel with the o/d circuit.

the fuzz beats the blowtorch hands down imho - it's pretty much the only pedal i use at the mo for overdrive and fuzz

problem is you have to get them in from canada, unless you can get one second-hand.

well, in summary...if you ever get tired of the blowtorch, the battering ram might be worth a look for both fuzz and grit.

Edited by ahpook

I reckon my El Grande is faulty. I hope it is, and that I can get it repaired/replaced (still in warranty), cos I LOVE the fuzz. Nicer than the Blow Torch. I've contacted MusicStore and await their reply . . .

I threw this quick vid up onto youtube to show the hum/noise I'm talking about.

TBH, I don't really want to replace the El Grande, unless the noise is an inherent feature http://basschat.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR%23>/blink.png The Blow Torch is close, but not as nice.

Based on online videos & reviews/comments, I've pretty much settled on the VT Bass for grit, and El Grande for fuzz. Now just gotta start saving for the VT and cross me fingers for the El Grande.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhX-B84-3ik

Mark

Edited by Phaedrus
OCD