Why become a member? ×

OldGit

Rich

[quote name='Rich' post='929523' date='Aug 19 2010, 10:55 AM']Amazingly, so did he :)[/quote]
Absolutely priceless pics and I bet Si is at the great bass bash in the sky, having a right old giggle at his own expense looking at those pics :rolleyes: Thanks for sharing those Rich

Si Pm'd me when I was arranging the Dorset bass bash to offer some brilliant advice and to question my sanity.
He didn't need to, he just did. A genuine man. Irreplaceable.
I'm still bit shocked to be honest.

But thanks Si, you will be missed greatly. But at least we've got some wonderful posts to remember you by.

John

It's people like Si who make this place what it is, a great online community.

His posts made me laugh many times and he was obviously a real gent, always ready to help people out.

He'll be sadly missed,
whether you're a frequent poster, or more of a lurker like me.

(another) Si,

Only just found this thread. I'm shocked. When I first signed up to the forum, Si wanted to take my bass down to Jon Shuker's to get it measured up as he liked the neck on it, and he effectively chauffered me around, bought me food and coffee, and even gave me a free Jaco CD for doing pretty much nothing on my behalf. I said I'd pay him back in kind with all the snacks etc next time around, but I know he would have had none of it had the time come. That pretty much convinced me how good a place this forum is and that it was worth sticking around.

Based on my experiences with him, and what people have been saying here, I think it'd be quicker to find a list of people he didn't have an impact on than the ones he's helped with his absolute generosity and selflessness.

He will genuinely be missed :)

Edited by Finbar

This is shocking to read! I haven't been on here much recently but I always used to love reading his posts and advice.. A thoroughly caring individual that had credentials to be able to offer anyone sound advice on almost anything. Huge loss to this forum and the bass community in general. Rest in peace,you were a true gent and will be fondly remembered by many.

Nick.

I'm on here all the time and I've just noticed this!
What a sad loss this is. I never met Si, but shared a couple of PMs & a few blabs just on the forum.
I was looking forwards to having someone I recognised to talk to on Rock til you drop. Seems a bit ironic that forum now.

Well God now has an excellent chap up there (taken from how he appeared on this forum anyway) & my thoughts & prayers are with him & his family.

Edited by xgsjx

Gents, I have an update:
Si's funeral will be at [b]Canford Crematorium, Canford Lane, Westbury On Trym, Bristol BS9 3PQ[/b] at 12 noon on [b]Wednesday 1st September[/b] and afterwards at his sister's house -- PM me if you want the address. I am told that friends are welcome both at the service and the wake. Let me know if you intend to come along. It would be good to see you, and to get together and raise a BC glass to the old fella.
Awaiting details for a charity for any donations in memory of Si.

[quote name='Rich' post='930591' date='Aug 20 2010, 09:16 AM']Gents, I have an update:
Si's funeral will be at [b]Canford Crematorium, Canford Lane, Westbury On Trym, Bristol BS9 3PQ[/b] at 12 noon on [b]Wednesday 1st September[/b] and afterwards at his sister's house -- PM me if you want the address. I am told that friends are welcome both at the service and the wake. Let me know if you intend to come along. It would be good to see you, and to get together and raise a BC glass to the old fella.
Awaiting details for a charity for any donations in memory of Si.[/quote]
I - like most regulars on BassChat I guess - will be raising a glass in Si's honour next Wednesday. Thx for update Rich.

This thread is an extraordinariily moving read

[quote name='Rich' post='930591' date='Aug 20 2010, 09:16 AM']Gents, I have an update:
Awaiting details for a charity for any donations in memory of Si.[/quote]

At 12 noon next Wednesday, I'll be in the air on the way to New York, so unfortunately won't be able to attend. Last email I had from Si said "don't spent too much in the guitar shops over there, but I know that'll fall on deaf ears".

I will most definitely be raising a glass in Si's honour at 12:00. I hope it's a good send off for him.

Edited by tredders

Sad sad news, a great loss to this site, his knowledge and humour always had me gripped. I own a couple of his basses which are immaculate and will always take pride in my collection, a true gent, will be thinking of Si and his family on Wednesday.