Why become a member? ×

SVT v DB750

Owen

I have always used a ported cab. I did some gigs over the summer where backline was provided. Ampeg SVT rig. Was it lush? Was it ever! I realise that it is not Hi-Fi and all that, but it did it for me. Do I want to carry a fridge around with me? No. I know that the 810 does not go down as low as "all that", but the whole rig had a certain je ne sais quoi (sp?) that I can't seem to let go of. It had a real punch to it. I know there was a huge valve amp with massive headroom pumping out creamy valve goodness on top of it.

How good an imitation of an SVT stack does a Berg 610 + Aguilar DB750 do?

I know only my ears can tell me. I do not live anywhere near anywhere that will have anything like this in stock and this is just a sort of preliminary musiing.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='104058' date='Dec 13 2007, 08:28 PM']From what I've read, the Aguilars are fairly modern sounding, which I suspect is fairly removed from the lo-fi grind that the Ampeg SVT CL I once gigged through sounded like.[/quote]

I've just bought a DB750 and in my opinion it's no way modern sounding. I've got a GK1001 head also, and that most definitely is. I've never been a fan of distorted bass, so never been tempted with Ampeg valve gear! I was in The Gallery yesterday and got Alex to demo the Laney mega expensive valve head and the matching 8x10, and I guess it's their attempt at a rival to the SVT. I hope the Ampeg is nothing like this Laney head - coz it was pants!

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='104086' date='Dec 13 2007, 09:17 PM']I've just bought a DB750 and in my opinion it's no way modern sounding.[/quote]
Well, I'm going by the reviews I read, thats all. I've never played through one.

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='104086' date='Dec 13 2007, 09:17 PM']I've got a GK1001 head also, and that most definitely is.[/quote]
The GK stuff is pretty bright sounding for sure, but comparing it to a Aguilar is surely like comparing chalk and cheese? How would you compare the Aguilar to a Mesa Boogie 400+ for example?

Its worth mentioning that the Ampeg 810 alone very much has a colour and tone, almost of it's own. I use an SVP preamp with a D Class power amp, which is a fairly good replication of my ole SVT 2 Pro head. However I Use an Epifani UL-610 cab.. and it makes my whole system sound very different to an Ampeg stack.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='104105' date='Dec 13 2007, 09:55 PM']How would you compare the Aguilar to a Mesa Boogie 400+ for example?[/quote]

Never tried a Mesa 400+. Something I've always wanted to do, until I felt the weight of the thing! The DB is heavy, but the MB is worse. Yes, the GK and DB are like chalk and cheese. It was just my view that the GK sounds 'modern' and the DB doesn't. I guess it's the valves.

In my opinion the DB750 doesn't do a good impression of an SVT at all (a good thing for me, I've never been overly enamoured with the latter). It does have lots of heft and authority (and headroom) but I find it very responsive and articulate. I'm not sure about the modern/old school debate - the 750 is warm and driven but with a great deal of punch and immediacy. The one thing I haven't got it to do is break-up in a big way (though I haven't really tried - not my kind of sound these days). I think the 750 is a bit lighter that an SVT but it's still immensely heavy. I suppose the best thing to do is try a 750 and Toasted's offer is a great one (I'd offer the same but don't have the 6x10)

[quote name='G-bitch' post='104299' date='Dec 14 2007, 01:44 PM']I thought the Laney valve head was friggin' awesome!

Bangor is a bit far - you are more than welcome to try out an NV610 here in Brizzle. I've got an old Ampeg valve head (V4) and a GK700rbII to use with it.[/quote]

What does the NV sound like with the GK head G-bitch?.

I have a 750, and I sometimes wish I had the SVT (sounded great when i tried one). I have trouble getting the 750 to break up.

As a result I bought the new AGRO (distortion) pre amp, which is great for a little tubey over drive. An expensive solution I know, but it was cheaper than selling up and buying an SVT.

Th Aguilar is a great amp, it's responsive, has masses of headroom and sounds great, however if you are looking for an SVT sound, get an SVT. I doubt you will be able to get the 750 to break up enough.

As I already have a 750, there is no point selling up and going the SVT route. However if I were to start again I would get the SVT.

Lesson: ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS try before you buy... I didn't, and thats why I won't be truly happy until I have the tone I want.

Aguilar is very reliable though! I have toured all over the uk, from small pubs and clubs to arena's and my 750 is the only piece of gear that hasn't let us down. I've lost count how many times our guitarists amps have been repaired, and how many times ive seen support bands struggle with a dodgy bass head.

ed

Edited by Kaiu