Why become a member? ×

Electro Harmonix

cris the man

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='103749' date='Dec 13 2007, 10:36 AM']It depends what you mean by "good" - can you be a little bit more specific?[/quote]

ah yeah , sorry lol

is the little big muff pedal ok
its a distortion/fuzz pedal
the probs i get with distortion is that the fuzz takes all the bass away
does this pedal keep the sound bassy?

the LBM has a better low end than most of the other muffs.
another option if you want a muff sound is to try the Metal muff (with top boost - rather than any of the smaller ones!) as it has an eq section on it.
from other forums, i see that the english muffn is a opopular choice among bass players as it uses valves for the distortion.
for another option, contact our very own Dave Hall (DHA) who makes his own popular line of valve-based effects.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='103774' date='Dec 13 2007, 11:24 AM']works grand with my stingray[/quote]

Yeah, I think it's a case of what kind of sound you're looking for. There's a sticky about an impedance buffer Tayste is having made to overcome the problem.

[quote name='Musky' post='103772' date='Dec 13 2007, 11:17 AM']Just a thought, but if you're using the Dean with a fuzz you're not going to get good results. Active electronics and fuzz don't mix.[/quote]

That's not necessarily the case - It depends on the pedal and the bass and what sound you like/want.

[quote name='Musky' post='103776' date='Dec 13 2007, 11:30 AM']Yeah, I think it's a case of what kind of sound you're looking for. There's a sticky about an impedance buffer Tayste is having made to overcome the problem.[/quote]

i was under the impression it also depended on whether you were using a fuzz with a silicon or germanium circuit. One works alright and apparently another one doesn't

This thing about high/low impedance and fuzz pedals. If you run a fuzz after a buffered pedal, are you not getting a low impedance signal anyway?

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='103789' date='Dec 13 2007, 11:46 AM']i was under the impression it also depended on whether you were using a fuzz with a silicon or germanium circuit. One works alright and apparently another one doesn't

This thing about high/low impedance and fuzz pedals. If you run a fuzz after a buffered pedal, are you not getting a low impedance signal anyway?[/quote]

I don't really know - the first I knew about this whole issue was Tayste's posts. But the way he explains it, fuzz pedals need a [i]high[/i] impedance signal to work at their best, regardless of type. Just like an active circuit, other pedals put out a low impedance signal - hence the reason he's getting some buffers made up.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='103780' date='Dec 13 2007, 11:33 AM']That's not necessarily the case - It depends on the pedal and the bass and what sound you like/want.[/quote]

totally in agreement - i use both active and passive basses and use overdrives all the time. i don't think you can say that active basses don't work well with overdrives...i get good sounds with both.

ymmv of course

I looked at the diagrams of some circuits and I don't think silicon vs germanium is really the issue.

Some circuits (as far as I know Zvex WM is one of them) use a passive filter at the beginning of the circuit. This filter changes the current that flows in the pickup with the frequency. As a result, with high impedance pickups (usualy passive), when the frequency changes, the current changes, the voltage drops in the internal resistance of the pickup and output of the pickup changes. In other terms, with some pedals, active pickups keep the output constant, passive pickups change their output with the frequency.

I have never tried but in theory, this should be easy to resolve. There are at least two ways to do it (again, in theory):

1. With a resistor in series to the circuit. It will not trasform an active pickup in a passive pickup because passive pickups have also a inductance component but it should do the trick.

2. A simple resistor unfortunately have two disadvantages. Different active pickups can have different impedances so it may be necessary change resistence value for every bass. The second problem is that if you use a passive bass in the same circuit, the resistor need to be removed. To avoid this, it is possibile build a buffer and place the resistor after be buffer. In this way, the pedal will always see the same impedance regardless of the bass/pickup. The same can be achieved placing the resistor after another (non true-bypass) pedal.

[quote name='ahpook' post='104784' date='Dec 15 2007, 10:06 PM']totally in agreement - i use both active and passive basses and use overdrives all the time. i don't think you can say that active basses don't work well with overdrives...i get good sounds with both.

ymmv of course[/quote]

I think this issue is specific to fuzz pedals rather than overdrives or distortions. Though like cheddatom says, you might like the sound - in his post tayste described it as kind of synthy or gated.

• 4 weeks later...

I use a Little Big Muff, and I love it. I did use a Russian Muff for a long time before it, but the LBM has now almost totally replaced it.

My particular Russian Muff is very bottom-heavy, and certainly a lot thicker sounding than the LBM, but the LBM wins out purely on grounds of practicality due to the side-mount jacks and proper boss-type power supply input.

I just got a USA Small Stone at Christmas as well though, so I'll be intrigued to see how it works out for me in terms of reliability etc. :)

I use two fuzzes, a USA Big Muff Pi and one on my Korg AX3000B, both of which i actually really like and neither of which lose any lowend. The sustain does get a tad stupid on the USABM but even so i have a rather nice tone using an Epiphone Thunderbird (like yours :) ) and a USA Fender Jazz, both passive ofcourse.

However i am bidding on a russian muff atm, considering the aclaim which it has amoungst bass players (check pedal boards on this site!). I would love an MXR Blowtorch though and/or a Depth Charge.

Can't go wrong with a nice big Muff though, can you?!

Rich