Why become a member? ×

How Durable are Bassists?

Lfalex v1.1

Having seen pics from the recent Led Zep reunion, I was surprised to see how well John-Paul Jones was wearing for a man of 61.
Then I began to think of how many other bassists seem to be lasting longer and/or better than their bandmates.
Without plundering Wiki or some other source at length, I wouldn't know how old some of these are, but they're all looking quite healthy to me!

Steve Swallow
Chuck Rainey
Carol Kaye
Tony Levin
Marcus Miller
Stanley Clarke
Bootsy Collins

Those of you with encyclopaedic minds may wish to enlighten us to their exact ages...
Feel free to add more to the "durable bassists" list!

Steve Swallow - 67
Chuck Rainey - can't find out
Carol Kaye - 72 (and has been slipping into her dotage for many years judging by some of her comments)
Tony Levin - 61
Marcus Miller - 48 ( akid compared to the rest)
Stanley Clarke - 56
Bootsy Collins - 56

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='103220' date='Dec 12 2007, 01:29 PM']"Though John Entwhistle.... looking a bit rough!"

true, but if what i heard was true, he left us doing coke in a hotel room with a hooker in las vegas yes?

pretty good going for a man of his age![/quote]

I know - I , by comparison , will more likely meet my demise under a 189 bus in the pissing rain of Wakefield town centre by rushing across the road because my chips are too hot.

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='103220' date='Dec 12 2007, 01:29 PM']"Though John Entwhistle.... looking a bit rough!"

true, but if what i heard was true, he left us doing coke in a hotel room with a hooker in las vegas yes?

pretty good going for a man of his age![/quote]

I think Roger Daltrey said something along the lines of "It's a death any man could be proud of". :)

The guy from the Blockheads (Norman??) is getting on a bit too, but he's a great player!

IMHO and making a sweeping generalisation, bass players age better than guitarists or drummers because we are more chilled out in comparison.. something to do with those low frequencies :)

I'm watching a Pink Floyd documentary on BBC1 at the moment: they all look in fine fettle, but they did get an early lesson, from Syd, on how [i]not[/i] to look after yourself... :)

Edited by bnt