Why become a member? ×

Ampeg B15N Info

Volume

Hi guys

I've been offered a Vintage Ampeg B15N combo, and just wanted to check with you folks about how much I should offer for it... it's in good working condition, having recently been serviced and PAT Tested, but has some damage to the Tolex covering, and has has an Altec Lansing Blowout-proof speaker fitted... how much would this affect the amount that I should pay, and also how would it affect the value that I could sell it on for?

I've heard nothing but good things about these combos, obviously it'd be too heavy for regular live work, but it would be an excellent tool for use in the studio.

The other thing I'd like opinions on would be about who I should go to, to get the Tolex replaced/repaired? and also where would be best to have it serviced in the future?

Many thanks

Rich

Rich

B15Ns come in three basic flavours

60 - 65 - Black or Blue Tolex, Square double baffled cabinet.
These are the most expensive
66 - 68 - Blue Tolex, Square single baffled cabinet.
69 - 80 - Black Tolex, rectangular ported cabinet.
least expensive (they made a lot more of them).

They all sound great.

Non original parts (e.g. speakers) reduce the value a bit.
Originally it would have been fitted with a square magnet CTS or Eminence.
Jess Oliver (the designer of the B15) recommends Eminence Deltas.
The early ones have the classic woofly Jameson sound.

The post 68 ones have a slightly cleaner sound.
Because they used a tuned cabinet design they are more sensitive to speaker changes - even getting the originals
reconed with modern materials can give you resonances which completely screw up the sound.

I think I saw the amp you're talking about on Ebay - it had a 240- 110V step down transformer which I suspect
is whats actually been PAT tested rather than the amp itself.

I'd pay £750 top whack for the amp in question.

If you want a B15 serviced I can do it for you, if you're near London.

Have a look at my website:
www.valveamp.net

Cheers
ted

[quote name='Volume' post='102998' date='Dec 11 2007, 11:41 PM']Hi guys

I've been offered a Vintage Ampeg B15N combo, and just wanted to check with you folks about how much I should offer for it... it's in good working condition, having recently been serviced and PAT Tested, but has some damage to the Tolex covering, and has has an Altec Lansing Blowout-proof speaker fitted... how much would this affect the amount that I should pay, and also how would it affect the value that I could sell it on for?

I've heard nothing but good things about these combos, obviously it'd be too heavy for regular live work, but it would be an excellent tool for use in the studio.

The other thing I'd like opinions on would be about who I should go to, to get the Tolex replaced/repaired? and also where would be best to have it serviced in the future?

Many thanks

Rich[/quote]

They're actually not that heavy & the cab is quite shallow - so they're pretty easy to move around.
Saying that - my 1965 B-15N is full flight-cased because they're definitely NOT up to being humped around in the back of a van & certainly not to loads of gigs. Mine is too precious to me to risk taking to gigs at all...
But for recording, which is what I got it for, they are THE ultimate. You simply can't get anything better. Testament to this are the countless classic LP's that have been recorded using an Ampeg B-15 over the last 40 years - & they are a feature in every important studio in the world, and are held in the highest regard by the best producers & engineers...
Though I would say that they're not best suited to active modern basses - which is no surprise I suppose! They go best with old Fenders...

You should check out this site: [url="http://www.fliptops.net/"]http://www.fliptops.net/[/url]
Bruce, the guy that runs it is very helpful, & knows all there is to know about old Ampegs...

I had Steve Rowse [url="http://www.stevesamps.co.uk/"]http://www.stevesamps.co.uk/[/url] restore mine & convert it to UK mains after I imported it from the US. He's highly recommend.

And the info from Ted is excellent....!