Why become a member? ×

Take two amps...

ashevans09

[quote name='jammie17' post='104467' date='Dec 14 2007, 02:32 PM']Ahhh, you see I did not know that about them. So, an an amplifier that has say, three different outputs...say 2,4,8, ohms, has three Autoformers?[/quote]
A tube amp doesn't have any. Tube amps use multiple tap secondary transformers. A transistor amp can use a single autoformer with multple taps, but no professional amps I know of do, it's an unnecessary expense and adds weight as well as cost.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

[quote name='Gazm' post='104493' date='Dec 14 2007, 08:18 PM']Only one, with two (possibly three) taps.

Pete.[/quote]

Pete, thank you...hence the answer to my question....McIntosh ARE professional power amps, Gratefull Dead toured with them for years and they are used for pa amplification....So now understand it as, a SINGAL AUTO(trans)former with multi pal taps...thanks...it's what I thought at first, and that's why I was surprised at Bills response.

[quote name='jammie17' post='104520' date='Dec 14 2007, 04:38 PM']McIntosh ARE professional power amps, Gratefull Dead toured with them for years and they are used for pa amplification....[/quote]
McIntosh makes great gear, but they have always been a high-fidelity company, never pro-sound in the vein of Crown, Crest, QSC, etc. Decades ago they were often employed in pro-sound applications, but that's because at that time all amps were hi-fi and theatrical gear drafted into pro use. While one could use current McIntosh offerings in pro-sound applications, it's not their focus and they don't specifically market their products for pro-sound usage. So doing allows them to use features like autoformers in home and studio applications where the resulting extra weight and chassis size is not a concern. But you won't find an autoformer in an amp made for the pro-touring sound market.