Why become a member? ×

driving my sunn 300t

nash

the longer harder you run anything, the faster the components (valves) wear.

that being said, I think your biggest concern should be overheating your speaker voicecoils, which can arc, creating a short, which can then destroy your transformer.

theory roughly being that a heavily clipped signal appears almost as DC current to the speaker, which is not a good thing.

I am not a tech, this is roughly the explanation I got after some misfortunes.

Isn't the signal light only showing the signal above the threshold of the compressor & glows red when this is clipped- or summink. I'm just referring to what it says in the manual. But - I'm in same boat here.... if I play lightly-light doesn't come on at all. Play normal- light -green. Whack strings HARD & light sometimes goes RED! ????!!!!!???????? I'd be interested to know more here also! Will do some enquiring this end & see what I can find. Get back 2 U.
Rod.

Hmm.... I think it all depends really on what kind of clipping is indicated by the red light...

If it is a valve pre (which I think it is...) I think that you might be OK (ish) as valves "soft clip", meaning that the waveform simply won't reach the dreaded DC pattern like a solid state pre would...

(apologies if that's all a load of crap. I'm sure someone that knows more about valve amp will correct me...)

Certainly I've never experienced any problems with clipping my head - I run the input gain pretty hard to get a little valve compression and grit from the front end, and that's without the fx running...

I think you are right, that if it is pre-amp clipping it likely doesn't matter, but that if it is the power section clipping it is a different story. I would GUESS that the light is there for power clipping, and that some isn't a big deal, but a lot is. unless the light is simply there for entertainment value :)

With the 300T-as its an ALL VALVE amp-POWER & PRE amps... wouldn't it NOT matter too much if EITHER was clipping- I mean thats what guitarists do ALL the time aint it???????? Even says in some manuals to "turn it way up for that lovely power amp saturation" I know I like it & haven't had ANY issues with MY valve amps... Anyone know more PLEASE chime in!!!!!!!

"guitarists do it all the time"
and if they don't have sufficient total wattage speakers?

all I KNOW is that after 8 trips to 3 techs, a box of shot kt88's, a rewound transformer, and a new delta lite and kappa pro replaced by eminence, is that their explanation seems plausible and some caution is worthwhile to me.

the deltalite was smoked, 0 resistance. the kappa pro measured OK, but when I tried two other heads through it they both blew their el34's - so it went back to eminence and they found "mild" arcing in the voicecoil, which would cause intermittent 0 resistance. and this would seem to be what smoked the transformer.

mr. blackmore destroyed many a marshall major - and although most blame the early transformers, I THINK it may have been due to insufficent speakers for running a big amp flat out.