Why become a member? ×

John Giblin on fretless bass

molan

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1426096268' post='2714372']

Cor. I never knew that wasn't Tony Levin.
[/quote]Me neither, but now I listen to it I can hear Babooshka. Peter Gabriel does have great taste in bass players: Tony Levin, Mr Giblin, Larry Klein, Danny Thompson...

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1426096893' post='2714386']
So, do you think it's the MB200 built in chorus he used on that fretless sound? Seems very similar to me, although I've not had one for a few years.
[/quote]

No idea as I never asked :o/

At the time he was using this great double bass that had a lions head on it.... great looking instrument.

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1426099575' post='2714422']
Ive listened to and learned ( to the best of my limited ability) quite a bit of Kate Bushs back catalogue in the last couple of years
[/quote]
Yes and I bet you've had a whale of a time with it. Lucky sod, I would [i]love[/i] to have your current gig :)

It is very enjoyable yes, I am quite a lucky guy. Last gig we did, about 4 songs in it struck me what an excellent position I was in, playing this incredible music with a bunch of very talented musicians, and I couldn't help but grin

Uglydog, love that avatar, is that off a t-shirt?

Edited by sprocketflup

JG is the man, not the only great fretless player in the world but he should get much more recognition than he has......... Sick to death of reading about fretless "beast" Tony Franklin, to me he is to JG what Dacia is to a Bentley. Sure it gets you there, but that is about it.

rant over :)

• Like 1

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1426105272' post='2714548']

He had a big Harley.... used to strap the MB to the back and bass in a soft case on his back.....
[/quote]

I've tried that on a sports bike - bass on your back forces your helmet forwards and you end up staring down at the ground the whole time.

Not the safest mode of transport to a gig :)

[quote name='HazBeen' timestamp='1426105864' post='2714558']Sick to death of reading about fretless "beast" Tony Franklin, to me he is to JG what Dacia is to a Bentley.
[/quote]

They play very different styles of music and their personal styles differ massively too. In fact, the only thing they seem to have in common is their preference for fretless basses! :)

Horses for courses. I think it's a bit unfair to suggest that one is "better" than the other though. Enjoy both! B)

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1426102642' post='2714472']
Uglydog, love that avatar, is that off a t-shirt?
[/quote]
It certainly is :) current skintness precludes me from owning the actual shirt, but I couldn't resist grabbing the image :D

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1426111544' post='2714652']
I've tried that on a sports bike - bass on your back forces your helmet forwards and you end up staring down at the ground the whole time.

Not the safest mode of transport to a gig :)
[/quote]

I did it once, GK 200MB combo strapped to the pillion seat, headless cricket bat bass, bag of leads, and sleeping bag all bungeed and cargonetted to the rack on my Tiger. Tamworth to Maidstone and back...

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1426205984' post='2715779']
I did it once, GK 200MB combo strapped to the pillion seat, headless cricket bat bass, bag of leads, and sleeping bag all bungeed and cargonetted to the rack on my Tiger. Tamworth to Maidstone and back...
[/quote]

Slightly more upright position on a Tiger. I tried it on my old SV650 with clip ons - because my head was already tilted forward the neck, and headstock, was literally forcing me to stare down at the front wheel.

Had to ride most of the way one handed with my body skewed sideways on the bike, lol.

I recall several years ago JG sold off a fair bit of his stuff on eBay but there was no hint of 'Do you know who I am' in the listings and iirc the gear was all listed at sensible prices for what it was for year/condition etc just like any member of the public. Had even more respect for the guy after that.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1426346869' post='2717188']
He's selling some more at the moment - a de-fretted Roscoe Beck, a Tokai and a very nice upright...not a hint of the "recently used on" line...
[/quote]That RB was for sale in The Gallery years ago, obviously it didn't sell back then.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1426346869' post='2717188']
He's selling some more at the moment - a de-fretted Roscoe Beck, a Tokai and a very nice upright...not a hint of the "recently used on" line...
[/quote]

Yes, the upright looks very tasty indeed. Hm.

• 5 years later...
On 25/12/2010 at 23:04, cetera said:
On 08/08/2010 at 08:45, RhysP said:

He didn't play on the first Kate Bush album either. On "Wuthering Heights" it's probably David Paton.

I just found out that the album Producer 'Andrew Powell' actually wrote AND played the bass part on 'Wuthering Heights', much to David Paton's chagrin....

Yep, Andrew Powell on Wuthering (originally recorded on Paton’s Rick I believe, then went back and re-recorded it on a Jazz), everything else on the first album David Paton except for Saxophone Song (Bruce Lynch). I can only suspect many here don’t own the album as it’s in the notes for each song. John (who is possibly my favourite fretless player, along with Mick Karn) didn’t appear on a KB album until Never For Ever.

I believe John played on the Before The Dawn gigs, which I couldn’t get tickets for and which haunts me to this day, as KB is without question one of my absolute favourite artists and I’d have given almost anything to see one of those gigs. A friend managed to go and he said it was the best thing he’s ever seen. 

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

On 06/03/2021 at 16:54, 4000 said:

I believe John played on the Before The Dawn gigs, which I couldn’t get tickets for and which haunts me to this day, as KB is without question one of my absolute favourite artists and I’d have given almost anything to see one of those gigs. A friend managed to go and he said it was the best thing he’s ever seen. 

He did indeed! I was in the 3rd row and it was an amazing show!

• Like 1

On 06/03/2021 at 16:54, 4000 said:

He did indeed, and it was one of the best gigs I've seen. I saw the show, dug the basses, ended up buying one of them.

• Like 1

First came across John Giblin on Brand X albums and was astounded. Quite different to Percy Jones and loved his style ever since. Was a bit surprised he joined Simple Minds but he made quite an impact with their sound IMHO

Was never able to quite capture his smooth flowing fretless technique. 

Dave