Why become a member? ×

Bass Player Mag

Pete Academy

I haven't bought Bass Player magazine for months, due to it's dwindling pages, heavy advertising, and bands/players I've never heard of. I saw the latest issue, featuring an interview with Mark King, and thought what the hell.

TBH it's much better, with smaller informative articles dotted about. In fact, I think they may have taken a leaf out of BGM's style.

Check it out at the news stand first, but I think they're on the way back.

Edited by Pete Academy

I always preferred Bass Player over Bassist - the latter I felt was a bit light weight. Also IMO the gear reviews generally weren't as good. I still bought every issue though!

Bass Player has been a bit of a pamphlet of late though, and the editors waffle can be tedious (both the current bloke and the previous chap). But, tbh I'm grateful that BP and BGM are there. I can remember when there wasn't a dedicated bass mag and you had to wade through a whole guitar mag and dozens of adverts for Strats, Marshalls and Les Pauls for a token bass related page.

Not sure about the current editor, there were about three editorials in a row where he apologised unecessarily to an artist or reader he thought he'd upset in the last issue. New layout is a bit odd. It's annoying when gear reviews mention a particular detail which then isn't pictured. This happens a lot.