Why become a member? ×

Apparently I'm to ask about Ashdown

Jono Bolton

Guest TheBigBeefChief

I don't think there is such a thing as an offensive [i]word[/i]. It all depends on who's saying it and the context. Just look at the language used in a lot of rap music. Should this be banned?

Look at swearing. Mary Whitehouse campaigned to have it banned from television. Do you agree? If so, you'd probably never watch a film or stand-up comedy again.

[quote name='Machines' post='103465' date='Dec 12 2007, 06:03 PM']Keep it on topic please. Racist terms really have nothing to do with OT.

If you wish to discuss racism in depth please start a new topic in the Off-Topic forum, but expect it to be heavily moderated.[/quote]

Oh, so just because you're from Solihull (oh arn't we posh) you think that you can look down on the rest of us and push us around? - damn racist! :huh:

....keeping on topic - the ones that have the 'Ashdown' badge on them are the dodgy ones - go for the ones with the name 'Trace' on them if you want the good stuff :huh:

:)

seriously though, to the original posting, you (and possibly your band) know what sound you like/will fit, let your ears be the judge

[quote name='colda' post='103474' date='Dec 12 2007, 06:15 PM']Oh, so just because you're from Solihull (oh arn't we posh) you think that you can look down on the rest of us and push us around? - damn racist! :huh:[/quote]

I'm not from Solihull, I just live there :).

[quote name='TheBigBeefChief' post='103456' date='Dec 12 2007, 05:56 PM']I don't think there is such a thing as an offensive [i]word[/i]. It all depends on who's saying it and the context.[/quote]

That was sort of my point in typing the list. All slang or abbreviations for certain communities which someone could find offensive, but only one deemed offensive by the automatic filter.

As for the idea that if someone somewhere might find a word offensive then it is offensive - I'm just left shaking my head in despair.

I apologise for steering this thread off topic again, but it wasn't me who started crying 'Racism'.

Clive.

[quote name='BeLow' post='103544' date='Dec 12 2007, 08:35 PM']In between the provocative posts there is a debate on Ashdown going on here. I think it was suggested by some one that those wanted to have an argument could b****r off and do it somewhere else. Seems like reasonable suggestion to me.

Celestion speaker manufacture is now off shore as far as I am aware - China I think. In a weird twist the last UK manufactured stock got sold off as job lots at prices that that no off shore manufacturer could match.

I have an 'Ashdown speaker' manufactured in Essex, it was part of the pre-production run which was not used so the manufacturer sold off a few that he had left. I am pretty impressed with how it is put together. Once a company earns a bad reputation it is very hard to throw it off even if their products are much improved.

I would be interested to hear the experience of the 'lightweight' amp range (digital amps?) and if there have been 'issues' with these.[/quote]

At the gig where I first tried an Ashdown (I used a MAG head) I had the option of using one of the lightweight heads, but opted out for ease of gear swap over. I did sound pretty good but I think setting up the EQ's a bit of a fanny about and didn't sound as good. But it's made for ease of transport, the guy carried it one hand with his cab in the other.

[quote name='metaltime' post='103141' date='Dec 12 2007, 11:17 AM']Im sorry but refering to a british person as a brit and a chinese person as a "chink" are just not the same thing. The conatations of the words are totally different the word "chink" [b]is[/b] a racist slur and to me it would be the same as calling a black person the N word.

I am all for free speech but if people cant use it to treat each other with respect then where is the point.[/quote]

MB1. :)

What?....... Nigel?

Anybody remember British Leyland in the 70s, and some of their ghastly cars? Remember how badly screwed together they were, bits falling off all over the place? Remember Alfa Romeo doing much the same thing in the 80s?
Was their quality control done by the Chinese?
No, it was just bad.
QED.

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='103534' date='Dec 12 2007, 08:08 PM']Blimey, I haven't had one of those for *ages*

Is it true you get a fistful of hazlenuts in every bite?[/quote]
No - if the ads were to be belived, the squirrels used to stalk you if you had a bar and nick them first (squirrelist, I know)

[quote name='Rich' post='103693' date='Dec 13 2007, 07:38 AM']Anybody remember British Leyland in the 70s, and some of their ghastly cars? Remember how badly screwed together they were, bits falling off all over the place? Remember Alfa Romeo doing much the same thing in the 80s?
No, it was just bad.
QED.[/quote]
I have a Triumph TR7 (convertible) which I love. There's a BL worker still sleeping in the boot I think.

Re Ashdown; never tried them, but they do look very cool :)

Edited by Shaggy

i used to go to play bass at my church (in edinburgh)
I'm from essex
I used to use a bass made in essex,
through a head made in essex into two cabs made in essex
(the cables were probably from china but i wired them together myself in scotland)

now i use a 1950's american designed bass made in japan,
through a head made in germany
into either a cab made in germany or two made in essex.

internationalism sounds better.

I own a MAG combo and a deep bass 1x15. Generally I use a Precision into a Bass POD as a front end then direct into the effects return. I've used this set up almost exclusively for about four years.

This week, I really couldn't be arsed to break all the kit down, so I left the POD at home. I have to say I was distinctly unimpressed by the standalone Ashdown setup. The sound just didn't cut through, it sounded very wooly and dull - the only real positive was that when I use the POD, my e-string really booms...through the Ashdown it was more even/compressed. My drummer remarked that when I use the POD my sound is everywhere, so next week, I'll pack the unit.

One noticable thing was that my signal into the passive input was very hot - my Precision has a SD Quarter-pounder in it - I could only turn the gain up to about position three or four before the VU meter was showing me well into the red (clip)....consequently, not much was going into the power amp stage.

I'm not about to change this setup (well, not just yet...) as ultimately I'm pretty happy with it when I use the POD working as the pre-stage. It's also very portable and loud enough for right now. When the drummer gets his DW kit, I may be moving it on.

P

Ive had a five fifteen 100w practice amp in the past, an internal fuse went a day before the years warranty ran out so we had to shoot up to birmingham to get it fixed...it was sent off to ashdown and they were great they fixed it and i was lent another while it was sent away...

Last year i got a Mag 300 115 combo which broke a month after buying it so i took it back and i think they said it was a fuse but they swapped it at the shop for the 210 combo at an extra cost of £20 they also threw in a £25 gig bag and a set of rotosound strings!! i cant fault the 210!

But with all that said I really like Ashdown stuff!! Iv always used it and i like the sound of it!!
Just bought a Hartke 3500 head so my Mag 210 combo may be for sale in the new year!!!

Watch this space...

[quote name='Rich' post='103693' date='Dec 13 2007, 07:38 AM']Anybody remember British Leyland in the 70s, and some of their ghastly cars? Remember how badly screwed together they were, bits falling off all over the place? Remember Alfa Romeo doing much the same thing in the 80s?
No, it was just bad.
QED.[/quote]

Not personally but.....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGpTw7ka9i8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGpTw7ka9i8[/url]

More to the point though, I have a Sound Control Special Superfly amp.

Fine once it decides it is going to power up but I have to d**k around with the 110-230v switch over on the back sometimes. A bit of hiss as well but not noticable once the whole band is playing and barely noticable at all when at low volumes (practice in the house).

All round not bad at all for £200 but I would not have been happy paying the original price before they slashed it.

Edited by The_D