Why become a member? ×

Set to learn - What do you think?

steantval

[quote name='Bilbo' post='919330' date='Aug 9 2010, 10:05 AM']Write out the dots and do it without any rehearsals. :lol:[/quote]

:) :rolleyes:
again...does the band read? Does the drummer..?

Many 'reading' bands get into a bigger mess this way.
I can recall Diana Ross playing her new hit on a tour..I think it enterted the charts very late into the tour and the band played it as an encore
from charts.. Didn't work :lol: :lol:

Had to do the same a year ago, learn a new bands whole set. We did have more than one rehearsal though. Ask the guitarist if he can spare a few hours to nip round to yours with an acoustic when you've got most of it off and just run through the arrangements. Thats what I did.

It's do-able, enjoy.

IME they mean that the verses, choruses and mid sections are in the same order as the original. Keyboard and guitar patches are the same and solos are note for note.

Put the songs on your iPod in a playlist and listen to them everywhere you go until you know them inside out. Then pick up your bass and learn the bass lines.

I was once in the situation where I had learned a bunch of tunes as requested note for note. We came to play one of them and half way through the first verse the guitarist stopped us and said I wasn't playing it right..

Me: "Well that's how it is on the original"
Guit: "No, it goes like this" <plays notes very fast>
Me: "OK then - play that again, slower"
Guit: <plays notes again very fast>
Me: "Hold on - I'll get my iPod out." <play tune on iPod>
Guit: "Oh OK, but that's not how we play it."
Me: " "

We ended up doing it as per the original and it wasn't the only tune that I "changed" that night.

There are some really good cover bands out there and many do sound remarkably close to the records.
When I was audition players which I have done many times, we didn’t think what a great player he using his own line and done a nice twist to the record we just felt what a lazy sod turns up for a audition and without learning the numbers properly no good to us.

“It's up to the band and many, many players don't have the skill to take a tune and create an version or interpretation which is as "good" as the original. Nor do they want to.”
Also many players have the experience, confidence and skill to know when to leave well alone.

Also most serious bands would be honest about the commitment and reward, otherwise if it’s not what the new member expects they could be off and then they are back to square one.
All the other members of the band might sing so that’s why they have got a diverse set list.
That’s a good idea about getting together with the guitarist or keyboard player.
You can do it learning songs gets easier the more you do it, be careful about tabs they are often wrong.
Good luck

Even this thread is open to interpretation about interpretation :)

If a gtr was so intent on ripping off solos from a record, that would be like a big warning sign to me. Jezuz..!!!!
I'd be thinking we would get so bogged down with him getting that right that the rest is out of the window.

Of course, there are parts and parts but you have to know what works and what doesn't..
The number of time you see a band go for 'Jump' and gtr makes a decent fist..and the rest of the guys are nowhere.

From my POV, I am never interested in what the part is..I am more concerned with the part I play being right and working in the band context.
But if the line-up of a band is a 4 piece, then I don't know why we are even having this conversation as they will not be able to cover most set lists
without their own version.

Back to the OP.. I'd see what their version of as per record actually is.

If it is a good and worthwhile band, then put the work in. simple

[quote name='JTUK' post='919347' date='Aug 9 2010, 10:23 AM']:) :rolleyes:
again...does the band read? Does the drummer..?

Many 'reading' bands get into a bigger mess this way.
I can recall Diana Ross playing her new hit on a tour..I think it enterted the charts very late into the tour and the band played it as an encore
from charts.. Didn't work :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Then again,I play with a band where the MD(the drummer) writes out everything for the band(usually an 8 piece,but sometimes larger).
Even though the band has moved away from the charts,if a new tune is added or there is a dep,there is no need to mess around with rehearsals.
If anything,there may be a quick run through during soundcheck. The band grooves like mad and is as tight as a gnats chuff,by the way.