Why become a member? ×

Set to learn - What do you think?

steantval

I have been offered a job as second/depping bassist for a band who play covers to a very high level i.e exact as the songs were recorded.

It will probably involve up to twenty gigs a year so its well worth doing and I really like the material.

What worries a bit, is that I need to learn all the set in my own time but only have the opportunity of one rehearsal with the band before going out playing live with them.

I know I have the competence to play the songs to the level they require but I don't think I would feel comfortable only having the opportunity to rehearse once with the band before going out live.

Here is the set list, what are your thoughts?

HANGING ON THE TELEPHONE – BLONDIE
SHE SELLS SANCUARY – THE CULT
YOU KNOW MY NAME – CHRIS CORNELL
FEELING GOOD – MUSE
ALIVE – PEARL JAM
AINT NO LOVE – WHITESNAKE
RHIANNON – FLEETWOOD MAC
WHAT IS AND WHAT SHOULD – LED ZEP
KASHMIR – LED ZEP

MISIRLOU – PULP FICTION/DALE
KNIGHTS OF CYDONIA – MUSE
HYSTERIA – QUEENS OF STONE AGE
ONE WAY OR ANOTHER – BLONDIE
LITTLE WING – HENDRIX/SRV
VOODOO CHILE/WHOLE LOTTA LOVE – HENDRIX/LED ZEP
BARRACUDA – HEART
ROXANNE – POLICE
UNIVITED – ALANIS MORISSETTE
ROCK AND ROLL – LED ZEP

LIVE AND LET DIE – WINGS/GUNS AND ROSES
CALL ME – BLONDIE
FOOL FOR YOUR LOVING – WHITESNAKE
WHITE RABBIT – JEFFERSON AIRPLANE
BLACK DOG – LED ZEP
ZOMBIE – THE CRANBERRIES
YOU OUGHTA KNOW – ALANIS MORISSETTE
HIGHWAY TO HELL – ACDC
NO ONE KNOW – QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE
CHAIN – FLEETWOOD MAC

SWEET HOME ALABAMA – LYNYRD SKYNYRD
PURPLE RAIN – PRINCE

My advice is: it should be ok.

If they are doing the songs exactly as recorded and you are playing them exactly as recorded, then one rehearsal will be sufficient. All you'll need to do is sort out intros/endings that by their nature cannot be reproduced exactly live as they were recorded, e.g. fade outs.

If you are really worried, see if you can arrange to play through the songs with just yourself and a key member or two of the band before you do the rehearsal with the full band.

Jennifer

You really have a problem if they re arrange the numbers, but as the songs are played "as recorded" then it's dead easy. You really don't need a rehearsal, just learn by playing along to the records and write a chart for each.

Bands usually try to big themselves up a bit to test potential new recruits. I'd put money on them not being absolutely 100% the same as the originals on every song so don't get intimidated. If they are the usual 2 sets 45 min per set band they won't be doing every song on that list so ask them what a full actual recent set list was and concentrate on those songs first. I've joined bands in the past that get me to learn a 'set' only to find they hardly play 3 or 4 off the list any more! Looks a good set, I'd hapily dep for them myself!

[quote name='chris_b' post='917839' date='Aug 7 2010, 11:36 AM']You really have a problem if they re arrange the numbers, but as the songs are played "as recorded" then it's dead easy. You really don't need a rehearsal, just learn by playing along to the records and write a chart for each.[/quote]
I think the way I would approach it, if in the same postion, is take a note of all of the songs that have tempo changes, or stops in them, then e-mail them/speak to them, to request going through these first at the rehearsal. Straightforward start/stop songs you`ll probably be fine with leaving til last.

And, as [b]you`ve [/b]been asked to join [b]their[/b] band, I`d also ask [b]them[/b] which songs they would prefer you to concentrate on. A bit of willingness is always looked upon favourably.

[quote name='OldGit' post='917915' date='Aug 7 2010, 12:48 PM']Just go to a gig or two and record the sets with a Zoom h2 or something like that.
Put it somewhere near the bass cab and you'll know all you need to know about how they start, end and play the tunes.[/quote]

was going to suggest asking for any recording of their previous gigs, but the above is probably better as you'll get to see how they are on stage.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='917923' date='Aug 7 2010, 01:02 PM']was going to suggest asking for any recording of their previous gigs, but the above is probably better as you'll get to see how they are on stage.[/quote]

I'm checking out one of their gigs next week.

I will be observing the bass player like a hawk to see if he is playing everything as per the recordings.

Ah, so it`s a funk band your joining :)

I stood in for a guy one time with a band who played the songs "exactly as they were recorded" and learned them as such, only to discover when I had a play with them that, guess what they didn`t! I got the "well we do this bit slightly different than the record". For nearly every song!!!

I think taking a recorder along to a gig is a good shout. If you know what your doing, it will be a piece of cake! Good luck!!

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

I had to do this last year for a depping situation.

My initial thought was to say no, because there would only be one rehearsal a month before the gig and there were only one or two numbers that I knew out of the whole set.

But I decided to do it and have to say it was ok. A good exercise in getting focused and added thirty or so songs to my repertoire.

They actually did do most of the numbers as recorded and in the original key, which did make the whole process easier.

I'm so glad that I did it and really enjoyed the gigs.

I have done that a few times my advice would be, home work, home work home work.
You say they are copy key but it’s worth checking.
Write the songs downs it doesn’t have to be a score and it doesn’t matter if only you know what it means but the process of writing it down helps you remember them. Try to get a live recording for the endings and if some of the songs links.
Just be yourself and enjoy

[quote name='ironside1966' post='918251' date='Aug 7 2010, 07:01 PM']I have done that a few times my advice would be, home work, home work home work.
You say they are copy key but it’s worth checking.
Write the songs downs it doesn’t have to be a score and it doesn’t matter if only you know what it means but the process of writing it down helps you remember them. Try to get a live recording for the endings and if some of the songs links.
Just be yourself and enjoy[/quote]

Ditto. I did exactly this in similar circs, about 5 months ago. That was after a 5 year lay off.
I was lucky, I got 3 rehearsals, but we only covered a dozen or so of the 37 songs.

Work at it, be confident and enjoy.
Best of luck.

Why on earth would a band stipulate you play them exactly like the recording in the first place.. would be my question..?

And then they want one rehearsal...?? nope, will not happen.

Put your time in if you like, but I'd see what 20 gigs would pay you before I'd go too far.

Why have they asked you...do they know what you do... have they seen you play?
If it is no to either of those...then they are blagging this and you can cut your workload in half instantly.

My intial thought is that they must have a hell of a vocalist! Yeah, as previous posters have said, get as close as you can to everything, but do your homework most on the ones that have definite endings on record so that you can some spend rehearsal time nailing the ends of fade-out songs. I find that usually someone's got to give a signal that the last four bars/two bars/bar/end is coming, and it's usually the singer or the drummer, so work those out early in rehearsal and make a note on the setlist...

Also make sure you know which recorded versions they want you to learn - with You Tube / Spotify etc there are so many
versions of the same song avilable. You need a definitive copy of the material on cd to make sure you're all going for the
same thing, and avoid the "Oh we do the 'Live version from 1979' argument.................

[quote name='JTUK' post='918468' date='Aug 8 2010, 12:57 AM']Why on earth would a band stipulate you play them exactly like the recording in the first place.. would be my question..?

And then they want one rehearsal...?? nope, will not happen.

Put your time in if you like, but I'd see what 20 gigs would pay you before I'd go too far.

Why have they asked you...do they know what you do... have they seen you play?
If it is no to either of those...then they are blagging this and you can cut your workload in half instantly.[/quote]

I have worked in a lot of cover bands and most wanted as per other wise they wont be covers they will be the bands interpretation of. If you cant play what’s on the record you may not get the job.
One rehearsal serves a few purposes; to make sure that you are up to the job, learn the ends and segways as well as an opertunty to meet the band.

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='918477' date='Aug 8 2010, 12:15 AM']My intial thought is that they must have a hell of a vocalist! Yeah, as previous posters have said, get as close as you can to everything, but do your homework most on the ones that have definite endings on record so that you can some spend rehearsal time nailing the ends of fade-out songs. I find that usually someone's got to give a signal that the last four bars/two bars/bar/end is coming, and it's usually the singer or the drummer, so work those out early in rehearsal and make a note on the setlist...[/quote]

Hey yeah,, thought the same,,,,especially if he/she is sticking to all the original keys,,, looks a good set tho,,,the ol flea bassline "in you oughta know" is great fun to play......

[quote name='ironside1966' post='918757' date='Aug 8 2010, 02:17 PM']I have worked in a lot of cover bands and most wanted as per other wise they wont be covers they will be the bands interpretation of. If you cant play what’s on the record you may not get the job.
One rehearsal serves a few purposes; to make sure that you are up to the job, learn the ends and segways as well as an opertunty to meet the band.[/quote]

And the problem of interpretation would be...?? It is not a case of not being able to play the reference it is more about sounding the same as every other band. Not even the original band themselves would play as per record.
If you can't eake something out of a live performance that takes the music somewhere, then why bother. The listener might just as well put on the CD.

And I seriously doubt that most cover bands have the ability to ape more than an average decent track in the first place.. the vocal keys are all over the place so the reference is changed straight away, for a start.

I could go on but if you can't bring something useful to the party, you may as well be a disco. Nothing worse than hearing same old, same old...IMO.

[quote name='JTUK' post='919135' date='Aug 8 2010, 10:47 PM']And the problem of interpretation would be...?? It is not a case of not being able to play the reference it is more about sounding the same as every other band. Not even the original band themselves would play as per record.
If you can't eake something out of a live performance that takes the music somewhere, then why bother. The listener might just as well put on the CD.

And I seriously doubt that most cover bands have the ability to ape more than an average decent track in the first place.. the vocal keys are all over the place so the reference is changed straight away, for a start.

I could go on but if you can't bring something useful to the party, you may as well be a disco. Nothing worse than hearing same old, same old...IMO.[/quote]

Bit of a derail, JTUK.... However,

It's up to the band and many, many players don't have the skill to take a tune and create an version or interpretation which is as "good" as the original. Nor do they want to.

Close covers are popular in many places where they audience doesn't want to be challenged by versions or adaptations.

IMV that kind of audience would rather hear a DJ play record than an average band's average version of popular songs.
Close to the record is ideal and at least they are watching a live band rather than listening to a record.

[quote name='JTUK' post='918468' date='Aug 8 2010, 12:57 AM']Put your time in if you like, but I'd see what 20 gigs would pay you before I'd go too far.[/quote]

and there are many reasons to play dep gigs with bands. Money is only one of them.

I say go for it, you got nothing to lose by doing the gig and it could be a great experience.
Sometimes over-rehearsing makes the songs sound too sterile to me anyway, and none of the songs on the list are particularly difficult. (If there was a bunch of Rush or Primus tunes then I'd be concerned!)

You can get the tabs for them quickly on bassmasta and learn them all within a 2 or 3 days, then do the gig and see whats what.

[quote name='OldGit' post='919159' date='Aug 8 2010, 11:43 PM']and there are many reasons to play dep gigs with bands. Money is only one of them.[/quote]

Sure, but I'd want to see how reasonable their demands are and if they can deliver before I think about all that work

[quote name='OldGit' post='919158' date='Aug 8 2010, 11:41 PM']Bit of a derail, JTUK.... However,

It's up to the band and many, many players don't have the skill to take a tune and create an version or interpretation which is as "good" as the original. Nor do they want to.

Close covers are popular in many places where they audience doesn't want to be challenged by versions or adaptations.

IMV that kind of audience would rather hear a DJ play record than an average band's average version of popular songs.
Close to the record is ideal and at least they are watching a live band rather than listening to a record.[/quote]

I think the use of the term 'as per record' isn't really going to be all that close, in reality.