Why become a member? ×

Short Scale Basses!

janmaat

Hi

I just started playing in this new formation, originally was asked to dep for the bass player. Now she's a newbee on bass, playing a strat style Squire short scale. Now it looks like it's going to become a two-bass project (yes seriously we like odd stuff down here), her playing the short scale and me the long scale (Yamaha with a DiMarzio passive P pickup and Rotos through Markbass). Sounds interesting already as the two instruments really sound words apart.

Now I start wondering about short scale basses. My suspicion is that where the A on the long scale is at 110Hz, the short scale centers around 220Hz? does the short scale actually relate to the long scale like a cello to a double bass?

I am posting this since I can't find much on short scale basses here (maybe I've been missing a thread)?. What do you play, how do you string them?

And then the question for us is of course how to make an interesting sound combination with a long scale and a short scale bass. We'll be trying some odd effect things out, like routing the short scale through an envelope filter while the long scale plays sub. Ideas? Experiences?

Cheers!

[quote name='janmaat' post='916129' date='Aug 5 2010, 04:03 PM']Hi

I just started playing in this new formation, originally was asked to dep for the bass player. Now she's a newbee on bass, playing a strat style Squire short scale. Now it looks like it's going to become a two-bass project (yes seriously we like odd stuff down here), her playing the short scale and me the long scale (Yamaha with a DiMarzio passive P pickup and Rotos through Markbass). Sounds interesting already as the two instruments really sound words apart.

Now I start wondering about short scale basses. My suspicion is that where the A on the long scale is at 110Hz, the short scale centers around 220Hz? does the short scale actually relate to the long scale like a cello to a double bass?

I am posting this since I can't find much on short scale basses here (maybe I've been missing a thread)?. What do you play, how do you string them?

And then the question for us is of course how to make an interesting sound combination with a long scale and a short scale bass. We'll be trying some odd effect things out, like routing the short scale through an envelope filter while the long scale plays sub. Ideas? Experiences?

Cheers![/quote]

A short scale bass is only around 4" difference in scale length to a standard scale bass. The pitch is the same, they are tuned the same, the strings are shorter, in my limited experience of them I have found that string tension seems a bit less, but I have got some nice sounds out of them (I have used a Squier Bronco and an Epiphone EB-0) with some changes in pickups/hardware (strat lipstick pickup in the Bronco, DiMarzio Model One in the EB-0) (modified 4 saddle bridge for Bronco, Hipshot Supertone for EB-0).

I've made the move to short scale permanently after 20+ years of playing. The string length does make for a slightly less defined tone, but this nothing that can't be sorted out through good EQ, technique or indeed preamp. I find short scale really comfortable and thus enjoyable. I currently have an SX J-bass fretless, and a Tanglewood semi acoustic, and I can get all the tone I need from these basses just like I could on their long scale breathren. I'm currently on the look out for another fretted J-bass at 30" :)

[quote name='janmaat' post='916129' date='Aug 5 2010, 04:03 PM']Now I start wondering about short scale basses. My suspicion is that where the A on the long scale is at 110Hz, the short scale centers around 220Hz? does the short scale actually relate to the long scale like a cello to a double bass?[/quote]

I'm confused....... Won't the A have to vibrate at the same frequency to reach the same pitch?

I've got a couple of short scale basses-a Tokai SG style and an old Fender Bullet. I prefer long scale instruments,but the short scale
gives a different 'tubbier' tone.

[quote name='janmaat' post='916129' date='Aug 5 2010, 04:03 PM']Now I start wondering about short scale basses. My suspicion is that where the A on the long scale is at 110Hz, the short scale centers around 220Hz? does the short scale actually relate to the long scale like a cello to a double bass?[/quote]

The A on both long and short scale basses is 55 Hz, on a guitar it's 110 Hz.

A cello is tuned in 5ths, not 4ths, so it's C G D A instead of E A D G, but the D on a cello is the same as the D on a guitar.

A

• 1 month later...

The lowest note on a piano is A, at 27.5 Hz. The next A, on a piano, is 55Hz, and is the same frequency as the lowest A on a 4 string bass. This is the same as the lowest A on a double bass as well. The next A on a piano is 110 Hz, and is the lowest A on a guitar.

I started with a Framus star bass, 30" scale, same as Bill wyman, and now have a Hofner Club, same scale.

So, same notes, but with shorter strings, the 30" scale has the strings at a lower tension, so more mellow sounding.