Why become a member? ×

how much for a jazz neck?

chrisd24

I have been offered a jazz neck to buy, crafted in japan with an "s" serial number,rosewood neck, nice condition, what sort of value do these normally go for? and what do i need to look for to make sure its not fake?!

Sorry im a noob when it comes to this sort of thing and any advice is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

It's whatever you want to pay for it. There are sellers that break these things up on EBay and sell them for £200 plus - if you are happy with that then fine. I've picked up Fender necks for £100 before but you have to really search EBay and strike early. What's the figure you've been quoted? In terms of fakes, pretty much what Steve said really. If it's a nice neck, it'll feel good. If you have any doubts and are not sure, just walk away.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='915482' date='Aug 4 2010, 11:11 PM']It's whatever you want to pay for it. There are sellers that break these things up on EBay and sell them for £200 plus - if you are happy with that then fine. I've picked up Fender necks for £100 before but you have to really search EBay and strike early. What's the figure you've been quoted? In terms of fakes, pretty much what Steve said really. If it's a nice neck, it'll feel good. If you have any doubts and are not sure, just walk away.[/quote]

Wise words there, its going for pretty cheap from what i can tell,I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow so i will have a good look and feel of it then.

[quote name='chrisd24' post='915478' date='Aug 4 2010, 11:05 PM']dont have pics im afraid, it has the old style logo on it,nut is fitted, no machine heads, or bushes,but has a strap button on the back of the headstock if thats any help?[/quote]

Sounds like a 62RI neck (strap button on the back)

There's two types of machine heads fitted to these, Japanese and US made. They have different sized shaft holes. If it has the smaller holes you may find it hard to get machineheads to fit and have to bore the holes out. I've not done that but I can't imagine that will be easy with hand tools...

Japanese machineheads have 11mm posts and US ones have 14mm posts

The back plates are different sizes too and so the screws holes will be spaced differently
Measure the distance between the screw holes at the very top of the neck, the G machinehead position. If the top pair are 35mm apart then it had US winders, 24mm and it had Japanese winders.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='chrisd24' post='916282' date='Aug 5 2010, 06:55 PM']just been to see it (and buy it!)

its a really nice neck and im pretty sure i got a bargain (£80)

the spacings for the holes are ten mm but the spacings for the winders are 35 mm so im guessing i need jap bushes but american size tuners?[/quote]

Yup looks like it had Japanese tuners. Not sure I know what you mean about the bushes and tuners. US tuners won't fit through Japanese bushes.

Here you go

Japanese Tuners:

US Tuners,

[quote name='OldGit' post='916290' date='Aug 5 2010, 07:08 PM']Yup looks like it had Japanese tuners. Not sure I know what you mean about the bushes and tuners. US tuners won't fit through Japanese bushes.

Here you go[/quote]

So do i have to get stock japanese tuners or are there replecement, gotoh/grover/wilkinson etc?

[quote name='chrisd24' post='916811' date='Aug 6 2010, 11:00 AM']So do i have to get stock japanese tuners or are there replecement, gotoh/grover/wilkinson etc?[/quote]

I've got 70s Fender USA tuners in my 1989 MIJ Precision neck if that helps? It all seems pretty standard & it sounds like you got a bargain

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='917572' date='Aug 6 2010, 11:47 PM']I've got 70s Fender USA tuners in my 1989 MIJ Precision neck if that helps? It all seems pretty standard & it sounds like you got a bargain[/quote]

Same here (and the set BB has also came from me and they fitted the same neck no problems)

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='917576' date='Aug 6 2010, 11:52 PM']Same here (and the set BB has also came from me and they fitted the same neck no problems)

C[/quote]

I have anther Japanese fender from about 96 with what looks like the more substantial us tuners,but the holes on the 62 ri neck seem smaller,did you have to do any modifications to make the 70s ones fit on your neck burrito?