Why become a member? ×

Feedback for Sickpuppy

derrenleepoole

Purchased a SX Short Scale Fretless Jazz Bass - £85 + £10pp. Described as being in good condition and bought on description without pictures shown in sale listing.

The bass was posted in a black plastic bin bag and white plastic bin bag! Nothing else! No packing to prevent any damage of any sort! The tone knob cover was rattling around in side the packaging, and the packaging itself was snagged and torn in several places. Opening the 'packaging' revealed a bass that had suffered a sizable chuck of laminate missing from the front of the body right down to the wood. The rear of the bass has some knocks and scratches consistent with poor packing. It's a miracle that nothing else was knocked off or damaged - even the postie commented on the poor packaging!

The bass is clearly new, or newish. There is no buckle rash on any sort, and the scratch plate still has cellophane on it! So some of the damage must have come from transport!

*********************************************************************************

After some emails between myself and Sean, a price was agreed upon that reflected the condition of the instrument. I believe that Sean was perhaps inexperienced and has learned a hard lesson in how NOT to pack a bass!

In light of this, I think it's fair to say that I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again because I don't he'd make the same mistake twice :)

Edited by derrenleepoole

Bought a 62 SX Jazz copy off sickpuppy and am NOT pleased...

After sickpuppy said he would send it Royal Mail Special Delivery (and charged appropriately for postage), the bass finally arrived about 20 mins ago via parcelfroce 48 hour service.

My experience is a similar one to derrenleepoole. As can be seen in the photo's this bass simply wrapped in two thin bin liners (with a bit of tape round the neck) with no other packaging whatsoever! As you can imagine the bass did not arrive unscathed - the bin liner was ripped at the bottom exposing the body and a large chunk of finish is missing straight through to the wood. The bottom strap pin has also been damaged so it is now impacted into the body.

I did ask before buying if the bass had any marks or dings and was told it did not. I can easily count 4 or 5 areas of damage on the body alone. The seller also said the sale would include a set of chrome bridge and pickup covers - these were not included. The neck is also in a bit of a state, there seems to be some kind of green gunge on the frets (whether or not this would polish off I’m not sure)

I have PM'd sickpuppy and am awaiting a response.

It is a shame as this looks like it has been a really nice bass to begin with and just what I was after, however the whole experience has left me disappointed.

Jim

[attachment=55744:100_2936.JPG]
[attachment=55743:100_2935.JPG]

[attachment=55745:100_2937.JPG]

Edited by mrjim

In one of the images the scratch plate has been removed as I was checking the instrument over for further damage - the tone pot knob was off when the bass arrived and I want to see that no damage had occurred to the bass as a result...

Considering how the bass was packed, the damage is minor really... which is a miracle!

I too have received goods totally inadequately packaged from SickPuppy.

**** Update to feedback ****

Sean and I have agreed a partial refund which squares the deal in my mind. To be honest, it was a little naive at best to pack it so poorly, but it's a harsh lesson learnt and I am very grateful for the fact that despite this, Seans communication throughout the deal was very good.

Case closed and I would still recommend dealing with Sean, I can assume that his future packaging will be bombproof and that he will take recommendations on alternative courier companies to use.

Edited by Moos3h

[quote name='Moos3h' post='916313' date='Aug 5 2010, 07:25 PM']I too have received goods totally inadequately packaged from SickPuppy.

**** Update to feedback ****

Sean and I have agreed a partial refund which squares the deal in my mind. To be honest, it was a little naive at best to pack it so poorly, but it's a harsh lesson learnt and I am very grateful for the fact that despite this, Seans communication throughout the deal was very good.

Case closed and I would still recommend dealing with Sean, I can assume that his future packaging will be bombproof and that he will take recommendations on alternative courier companies to use.[/quote]

Oh god trust me this I'll never do again that again, thansk James.

Edited by SickPuppy

Hi Sean, The bass came through relatively unscathed, perhaps a few scratches maybe, but then i've never been into anything to shiny (Free relic service peeps). I guess you have learned your lesson from the other comments so i wont go on too much. For advice though, what i usually do is ask a local music shop if they have any left over cardboard boxes for packing which tend to be ideal for postage. I also pack the bass in bubble wrap (or should i say Mrs Rasta does this who is legendary for her packing) i get this cheaply from Tesco's. Pack out box with any old crap you can find, old newspapers etc.....and voila generally ok to post but you can never be 100% certain that things will not get damaged :rolleyes:

So all in all i'm happy with bass, plays very nice actually :brow: -read some good reviews about the SX Precision and it has lived up to my expectation. I feel i had a good deal at the price you sold....bloody heavy beast though!

Anyhow keep your pecker up mate, you learned the hard way but now you know a bit about packing. Also just to add its worth getting insurance when posting so that the damage should not cost you...this can be done at the Post Office or via Courier service.

I do commend Seans good communication through out and i am happy he is a basser and not a scammer....good beans! :lol:

All the best, Lee :)

[quote name='Rasta' post='916516' date='Aug 5 2010, 10:50 PM']Hi Sean, The bass came through relatively unscathed, perhaps a few scratches maybe, but then i've never been into anything to shiny (Free relic service peeps). I guess you have learned your lesson from the other comments so i wont go on too much. For advice though, what i usually do is ask a local music shop if they have any left over cardboard boxes for packing which tend to be ideal for postage. I also pack the bass in bubble wrap (or should i say Mrs Rasta does this who is legendary for her packing) i get this cheaply from Tesco's. Pack out box with any old crap you can find, old newspapers etc.....and voila generally ok to post but you can never be 100% certain that things will not get damaged :rolleyes:

So all in all i'm happy with bass, plays very nice actually :brow: -read some good reviews about the SX Precision and it has lived up to my expectation. I feel i had a good deal at the price you sold....bloody heavy beast though!

Anyhow keep your pecker up mate, you learned the hard way but now you know a bit about packing. Also just to add its worth getting insurance when posting so that the damage should not cost you...this can be done at the Post Office or via Courier service.

I do commend Seans good communication through out and i am happy he is a basser and not a scammer....good beans! :lol:

All the best, Lee :)[/quote]

I would kiss you right now for you thank you SO MUCH there is a god, that means the final lot will be unscathced THANK GOD - as they have uber heavy packing since I first found out about this mess, thank you so much HUGE lesson learned.

Cheers Lee, pleasure doing business! *bow*

Cheers Lee, pleasure doing business! *bow*

Edited by SickPuppy

• 2 weeks later...