Why become a member? ×

Musicman vs Ibanez - FIGHT!

MattB

Ok - probably a lunatic question, but...

There was a young man who LOVED to play his Ibanez Ergodyne. The neck... so thin, the noodling... so sweet.
He also had a Musicman Stingray. The noise... so damn good, so bright, so yummy.

However, compared to playing the cheap nasty plastic Ibanez (which he loved, none the less) the stingray felt like playing a brick.

SO - is there a compromise?

Can something be done to the Ibanez to improve the sound? Is there a best of both worlds guitar out there with the action and feel of the ibanez but the tone of the stingray?

Help - i love how it sounds, but hate to play it. I know - I'm weird!

Matt

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='914676' date='Aug 4 2010, 10:35 AM']MM Sterling.[/quote]

+1 - the Sterling gives you all of the MM goodness with a thin 'jazz' profile neck,so the transition from the Ibanez
should be a lot easier.

[quote name='Sibob' post='915177' date='Aug 4 2010, 05:23 PM']Ibanez.....BLEUUGGGHH

that is all :).

How about the Ibanez ATK's? (think they're called something else now)....basically Ibanez' answer to MM's

Si[/quote]

Yep the ATK is a decent bass for the price but it has a P bass size neck and feels chunky compared to Ibby`s usual slender necks.

Jez

[quote name='MattB' post='914673' date='Aug 4 2010, 10:33 AM']Ok - probably a lunatic question, but...

There was a young man who LOVED to play his Ibanez Ergodyne. The neck... so thin, the noodling... so sweet.
He also had a Musicman Stingray. The noise... so damn good, so bright, so yummy.

However, compared to playing the cheap nasty plastic Ibanez (which he loved, none the less) the stingray felt like playing a brick.

SO - is there a compromise?

Can something be done to the Ibanez to improve the sound? Is there a best of both worlds guitar out there with the action and feel of the ibanez but the tone of the stingray?

Help - i love how it sounds, but hate to play it. I know - I'm weird!

Matt[/quote]
SR 5000. Simples!

[quote name='RussFM' post='915638' date='Aug 5 2010, 09:07 AM']Based on what? Clearly never played a Prestige.[/quote]

I have to say I agree. Based on that they just don't feel real. I'm an
Absolute fenderholic though.?

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='915188' date='Aug 4 2010, 05:33 PM']Ibanez basses are sh*te,[/quote]

I think there are a lot of people who would disagree with you. It's all down to personal taste over feel and sound as the quality isn't a problem. Some find them too light giving the impression that they are flimsy.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='915391' date='Aug 4 2010, 09:33 PM']Yep the ATK is a decent bass for the price but it has a P bass size neck and feels chunky compared to Ibby`s usual slender necks.

Jez[/quote]

Yep, I had an ATK and the neck was quite chunky. Comfortable though.

As an aside, it was a fantastic sounding bass, a great player and was built as well as any American Fender I've tried, despite only costing me £250. Hardly sh*te!

[quote name='RussFM' post='915638' date='Aug 5 2010, 08:07 AM']Based on what? Clearly never played a Prestige.[/quote]

I have, save yourself some money and buy a Cort A4/5/6, monorails ain't all that foo! (in a non-offensive manner) Its just my opinion, I have yet to play a good one value for money wise. The ATK was too heavy for me but if I were a big bloke maybe not. And yes there is definately something appealing about owning a guitar no one can play but yourself, but theres always that annoying guy that can't play but likes to try n dings it!

So what makes my Ibanez sh*te but not the Cort A4, built in the same factory, probably by the same people, probably with the same materials?

Anyway, I bought mine used for much less than the price of a new A4 so value for money isn't an issue :)