Why become a member? ×

Noise Gate Recommendation

theotherphiljones

[quote name='theotherphiljones' post='910422' date='Jul 30 2010, 04:52 PM']Got some hissing from my board and need to buy a noise gate/suppressor. Whats the best in your experience? (for reasonable price!!)[/quote]

The best thing in my experience is to try and get rid of the hissing by finding the source rather than buying a pedal to cover it up.

The ISP Technologies Decimator is a bit of an industry standard where noise reduction in pedal form comes in, pricey but worth iti for the results.

On the cheaper side, Boss have the NS-2, which from what I have heard also does the job nicely. Probably check ebay for a good deal on one of those second hand.

+1 with Gnasher - you can't polish a turd, I'm afraid...no offence intended.
bet to clean up signal - get high quality cables (I use George Ls) and go for qulaity over quantity when it comes to choosing pedals.
IME most chepaer pedals just don't stand up to close aural scrutiny.

If you come to the conclusion that you have no other option, then use an ISP Decimator. They're really good, and I do use one sometimes. They do take some getting used to and proper placement in your chain though, you might like the results less than your noisy rig.

Don't buy the ISP pedal, it's very overpriced.

Buy a Rocktron Hush. it was developed by the same people (until they fell out) and is much, much cheaper.

A very simple one button solution as well.

I use the noise gate section in my TC Nova Dynamics and it works really well, as does the compressor.

D.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='910511' date='Jul 30 2010, 06:26 PM']The ISP Technologies Decimator is a bit of an industry standard where noise reduction in pedal form comes in, pricey but worth iti for the results.

On the cheaper side, Boss have the NS-2, which from what I have heard also does the job nicely. Probably check ebay for a good deal on one of those second hand.[/quote]

I had a Decimator noisegate on my ISP Beta preamp - yes, it's very good! - If you use a compressor in your rig, then I highly recommend getting a TC Electronic Nova Dynamics compressor pedal that has a noisegate on it as well. It's rather good! You could then retire your compressor and have one box with both compressor and noisegate in. ( I definitely subscribe to having as few separate boxes in the signal chain!)