Why become a member? ×

Anyone else got a noisy SVT-6 Pro??

mrtcat

Hey,

Anyone out there got an Ampeg SVT-6 Pro head. I'm in love with the tone but it buzzes lots especially as you boost the mids. It's driving me nuts.

It came from PMT in Oxford and they've tried hard to help and their tech guy has had a look. He said there had been the end of a 1/4inch jack stuck in an output which he reckons had probs been there from when it was displayed in the shop. He says it was removed and problem was solved but it still buzzes lots. I've tried different leads, power supplies, guitars, cabs, buildings etc etc. I've never had an amp that buzzes like this before. I can't mic it for the PA system as it is sooo annoying.

Would love to hear if anyone else has the same problem. :)

Cheers

Have one and they are monsters. Usual issues are:

- noisy cooling fan
- tripping out mains supply on start up - USA got a free 'softstart' upgrade due to design fault, UK have to pay for it.....
- taking out their own power supply or output stage - very terminal.

The noise you describe sounds like valves - have you changed them? Has the jack socket been damaged in some way? Takes a lot to snap off a jack plug IMO and wonder if the unit has been dropped?

The UK repair shop for Ampeg is in Leeds and they are very good. Suggest you contact them - if you can't get details from your muso shop, I can dig contacts out for you - got them some where.

Ok, found them:

Audiolabs, Leeds, 01132440378

Hope it helps Cat

HS

Edited by High score

Hey High Score,

Thanks so much for your help. As it happens I'm going to be in Leeds next week so will give them a call and see if it's worth letting them take a look.

Much of what you say tally's perfectly especially the tripping out the electrics on start up.

Thanks again

Tom

[quote name='mrtcat' post='913918' date='Aug 3 2010, 02:43 PM']Hey High Score,

Thanks so much for your help. As it happens I'm going to be in Leeds next week so will give them a call and see if it's worth letting them take a look.

Much of what you say tally's perfectly especially the tripping out the electrics on start up.

Thanks again

Tom[/quote]

Your Welcome 'Cat,

Tripping on start up can be cured. There is actually a thread on this site about it already. Audiolabs do a permanent internal fix but not exactly cheap - especially when the parts cost around £1.50.

Interested how you get on with this mate...........

HS

[quote name='mrtcat' post='913918' date='Aug 3 2010, 02:43 PM']Much of what you say tally's perfectly especially the tripping out the electrics on start up.[/quote]
[quote name='High score' post='914237' date='Aug 3 2010, 08:24 PM']Tripping on start up can be cured. There is actually a thread on this site about it already. Audiolabs do a permanent internal fix but not exactly cheap - especially when the parts cost around £1.50.[/quote]
Just in case you are wondering one of the threads, and solution, is [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=47105&hl=ampeg+start"]here[/url].

[quote name='High score' post='914237' date='Aug 3 2010, 08:24 PM']Your Welcome 'Cat,

Tripping on start up can be cured. There is actually a thread on this site about it already. Audiolabs do a permanent internal fix but not exactly cheap - especially when the parts cost around £1.50.

Interested how you get on with this mate...........

HS[/quote]

Thanks again HS I'm using a breaker at the mo which trips about once in every ten switch ons and usually i just reset the breaker and it works fine next time. If the problem gets worse I'll go for the Audiolabs solution. I must admit I agree with you that it's pretty disappointing that a company as well reputed as ampeg can send a product to market with a sizeable flaw. Like you say a £900 tv that did the same would be back in the shop before you knew it.
The buzzing seems to be commonplace too in many SVT-6s and I'm getting to grips with controlling it (not ideal but when it's performing is sounds great).
Ill keep any updates posted here!

Cheers

[quote name='escholl' post='914519' date='Aug 4 2010, 07:02 AM']Just in case you are wondering one of the threads, and solution, is [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=47105&hl=ampeg+start"]here[/url].[/quote]

Thanks for the link escholl - much appreciated