Why become a member? ×

What drivers for a mag 210

jumper

i have recently replaced the driver in my ashdown mag 115 (which had blown) with a celestion neo orange label 400 watt 8ohm and it sounds great.
However now my mag 210 is being shown up to such an extent that i think an upgrade is in order to balance things out a bit.
I see that the overall impeadence of the cab is 8ohm dose that mean that each of the 10's is 4ohms in series or 16 in parallel, (i think that thats the right way around) and if that is the case what about the tweeter? Dose this need upgrading or just leave it as it is? any thoughts or advice welcome.

[quote name='jumper' post='908465' date='Jul 28 2010, 05:29 PM']i have recently replaced the driver in my ashdown mag 115 (which had blown) with a celestion neo orange label 400 watt 8ohm and it sounds great.
However now my mag 210 is being shown up to such an extent that i think an upgrade is in order to balance things out a bit.
I see that the overall impeadence of the cab is 8ohm dose that mean that each of the 10's is 4ohms in series or 16 in parallel, (i think that thats the right way around) and if that is the case what about the tweeter? Dose this need upgrading or just leave it as it is? any thoughts or advice welcome.[/quote]

I think you can leave the tweeter.

16 Ohms in parallel is, to my mind, more desirable than 4's in series At least in parallel, if something happens to one of the drivers, the other will carry on working whereas in series, if one goes the cab is dead.

G.

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='908549' date='Jul 28 2010, 02:11 PM']Yep you want 16ohms. It means if both drivers are 150 watts youll get a 300 watt cab while 4 ohms wired to 8 means youll only have a 150 watt cab. I think this is right anyway.[/quote]
150 + 150 equals 300, series or parallel. What differs is the voltage and current division, not power.
As to 4 ohm drivers series versus 16 ohm drivers parallel, there will be very little difference electrically. There can be a major difference mechanically, due to different voice coil lengths. You want to use the option that has the higher xmax and xlim specs.