Why become a member? ×

ABM 500 EVO II Head users

Tee

I've been reading up on this head (the cased one, not the RC version), with regards to what cabs compliment it. It comes as no surprise that ABM cabs are most likely to get the nod. I have a question though. The head is 575W @ 4 ohms, yet the ABM 410 cab, for example is 600W @ 8 ohms, according to the Ash site. Am i right in thinking you won't therefore be getting the most out of the head? (with regards to power). And shouldn't the ohm rating match, seeing as they're from the same series?

Edit: i guess you can have to 8 ohm cabs running.

Edited by Tee

• 2 weeks later...

I like 410s but would the 115 compact and 210 compact be a good alternative, particularly if i want to get the most out of the amp? Does anyone have this set up? I'd love to hear your thoughts on its sound. I wish i could A/B the two set ups but sadly shops are pretty crap.

That is certainly an influential factor - portability, space etc.

One 410 wouldn't be as good as the 210+115, powerwise though. Plus, i guess for smaller gigs, one could just take one of these cabs (less hassle).

At the moment, my amp is only a (heavy) 350W 210 combo (Ampeg BA500).

Hmm, what about 2x 210s?

Edited by Tee

Yeah, i've also heard about the supposed merits of 2x 210s. As i said, i'm a fan of four 10 inch speakers. 2x 210s ought to give a punchy sound, plus use the amp's full power. Ta :)

Edited by Tee

A Columbo-like,[i] "one more thing."[/i]
I know the ABM 500 head has one speakon and one 1/4" output. What do the ABM cabs have? Does it mirror the head config? If they're only 1/4", i guess i'll need one speakon to 1/4" cable then.

[quote name='Tee' post='108475' date='Dec 23 2007, 11:07 AM']Meh, which one is it? :)[/quote]
Mine? It's a full sized 410T like [url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=14"]this[/url] one only with the old square style handles. I'm fairly sure that the newer ones have speakons too but you should probably email the dudes at Ashdown to confirm this - not that it's a problem either way.

Just to jump in and add my bit.

I recently got an Ashdown Classic 500 and have picked up a used mini 1x15 and 4x8 to go with it.

I needed something light and easy to shift but could deal with a bit of power, so I went for these, otherwise a 4x10 would have been in my scope, ideally a neo one.

I'm of an old mind set where I feel I need a 15 in the mix to give that thickness at the bottom as I do use a lot of top (damn you JJ Burnel, 's all your fault!)

Anyway, I know diddly sh*t about technicalities and stuff, but I have have gigged this set up twice now with a Thunderbird and it gives me a nice big sound, a bit of dirt thrown in too and loads of head room. Whether a set up with 10s would be significantly different, I can't say, but currently I am very happy with what I've got.

Cheers y'all

Mark