Why become a member? ×

Amp sharing at gigs?

Bananaman

My 9 year old son cut his hand badly at 3pm today and I had to send my rig out to be used by.....the first band on,a Led Zep tribute and my replacement at the last minute!

I`m really worried about my lad who is still in hospital...but equally worried about the pile of sh*te I might have as a rig tomorrow!!

Does this make me a bad father??

[quote name='jammie17' post='103633' date='Dec 12 2007, 11:41 PM']I have owned SVT's for over 30 years on and off, and the most important thing I can say is...let them COOL before moving them about. I usually will give my head at least a couple minutes to warm up before switching on the high voltage....but after your finished and are on standby for a while....when you turn your V4B off...it's NOT READY to move...give it at LEAST 5-10 minutes to cool down.

[url="http://www.tweakshop.com/Tube%20care.html"]http://www.tweakshop.com/Tube%20care.html[/url]

As for sharing, I have only shared one time in over 30 years. Everyone always had their own gear. And they demanded to play their own rigs.[/quote]

Cheers for the tip there, the moving it thing is something i'd never knew or would have thought about before. Thanks :-)

Not sure where I am on this one. My rig was custom made and a bit expensive so a stranger wanting to use my amp - no way. And wanting to use my bass - f*** off! And anyone [i]expecting [/i]to use gear gear without even asking will be denied on principle. But I've met some cool people on here I know I could trust with my gear, but they would be the people who take their own gear in the first place.

A Behringer DI with amp modelling is a bit over £20.00, so there's no excuse really.

But touring with a foreign band in this country and letting them use your backline, so that when you go to their country and tour you use theirs, fair enough I suppose. So long as they have some respect for the equipment.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='103522' date='Dec 12 2007, 07:47 PM']If I were you I'd either mark your EQ on the amp (stickers, tippex, marker pen, masking tape) or write it down, and expect everyone to screw around with the EQ and to have to reset it when it's your turn... The classic situation I regularly encounter is someone applying the EQ they normally use with their rig to my rig and then expecting it to sound the same - duh!

It'll be interesting watching other bassist's expressions when they encounter my rig at future gigs, since my rack now looks like this:

:huh:

Alex[/quote]

I tend to use my old WEM Dominator & an old homemade 15" cab for gigs these days - gets me the tone I want. Though I'll probably start using a recently acquired old FAL head soon for a bit more power, if required. Both these amps only have bass & treble controls, so someone messing up my EQ isn't an issue :huh:
A lot of bassists are also put of by the look of an old setup like mine - which suits me fine :)
However, I have no problem with sharing it...