Why become a member? ×

Amp sharing at gigs?

Bananaman

Just wondering how people tend to deal with the issue of amp sharing at gigs- for unsigned bands its usually expected that the bass amp will be provided by one band and shared with others.

This never used to bother me, but having now got a very expensive ampeg valve amp setup (V4BH with SVT 410he) i'm a lot more protective than i was with a cheap combo.

At a recent gig we played with a totally novice band and the bass player plugged into the passive input (turned out he had an active bass despite me asking him) & cranked the volume way higher than needed, overpowering the guitar. In the sound check alone one of the valves went fully red, rather than glowing slightly as they usually do. I had a word with him and he kept the volume down and plugged into the active input, but i still spent the entire gig worrying!

What do you tend to do if you're expected to provide an amp for other bands? take a cheaper spare amp/insist other bands bring their own amp/lecture them fully on how to use it etc!? I'm not that technical myself- what are the most important things to watch with valve amps- not turning them off or on without leaving on standby for a while etc.? Any advice would be allow me to fully lecture people correctly!

some venues these days have their own backline, but this is a problem, i hate when other bassists mess about with your settings, im not anal, but graphic eq is something i just dont want to remember when ive got it right. maybe if your the headline band, insist the venue find an amp for the supports if your worried, or just ask the other bands if they have a spare second amp
i doubt the lecturing will help though, if they are stupid enough to do not know they own an active instrument then your not going to get through, and people who do know how to use the gear will think your a t*t

Ive had to lend my amp a few times, basically i tell the other bassists that nothing will need adjusting after soundcheck, and if they try to adjust anything i will turn the amp off. Sounds harsh but ive seen people abuse the backline. Some people need to respect other peoples gear more.

Edited by WarPig

Either take your rig and tell them to bring a head... or let them now before the gig that you will be doing the swapovers with them and stand with them while they change the bass and while they change eq levels etc check them afterwards to check there not gonna damage your amp... Or just say they can use it but not change the levels etc...

[quote name='Bananaman' post='101090' date='Dec 7 2007, 07:37 PM']Just wondering how people tend to deal with the issue of amp sharing at gigs- for unsigned bands its usually expected that the bass amp will be provided by one band and shared with others.

This never used to bother me, but having now got a very expensive ampeg valve amp setup (V4BH with SVT 410he) i'm a lot more protective than i was with a cheap combo.

At a recent gig we played with a totally novice band and the bass player plugged into the passive input (turned out he had an active bass despite me asking him) & cranked the volume way higher than needed, overpowering the guitar. In the sound check alone one of the valves went fully red, rather than glowing slightly as they usually do. I had a word with him and he kept the volume down and plugged into the active input, but i still spent the entire gig worrying!

What do you tend to do if you're expected to provide an amp for other bands? take a cheaper spare amp/insist other bands bring their own amp/lecture them fully on how to use it etc!? I'm not that technical myself- what are the most important things to watch with valve amps- not turning them off or on without leaving on standby for a while etc.? Any advice would be allow me to fully lecture people correctly![/quote]

MB1. :huh:
"Its usually expected that the bass amp will be provided by one band and shared with others? :) :huh:
While Dr Marten says....... "A swift kick in the balls often offends!"....when i leave the stage so does my gear,im not running a hire firm,and i dont purchase amplification/basses with others in mind. A little Extreme perhaps but it saves on repair bills,if you havent got your own gear you shouldnt be on the stage.

There was a thread about this recently - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7619"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7619[/url]

I don't tend to mind if people want to use my amp, as long as they've bothered to get in contact first. It's taking the mick to just turn up and expect to use someone else's gear without checking it's OK.

But then I don't own a nice old Ampeg.

[quote name='Musky' post='101105' date='Dec 7 2007, 08:20 PM']There was a thread about this recently - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7619"]<a href="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7619" target="_blank">http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7619[/url]</a>

I don't tend to mind if people want to use my amp, as long as they've bothered to get in contact first. It's taking the mick to just turn up and expect to use someone else's gear without checking it's OK.

But then I don't own a nice old Ampeg.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Even if you dont have an old ampeg the fact that youve turned up with any gear at all, surely speaks volumes (sorry about the pun!). W.T.F are these people thinking?,you cannot think much of the band you play for, if you dont even turn up with the necessary gear to play the gig.If however you know its a hired backline the decision,is yours,but turning up and expecting to use somebody else's gear is just inexcusable.

Edited by MB1

I had a problem with this at a performance in september, i let one band use it as they asked in advance however they hjadn't told me that none of the bassists had bothered to bring amps, they were rubbish anyway so i made sure they didn't touch my settings and kept them on my 10db safeguard so they wouldn't blow up my combo, i felt obliged to stand on the edge of the stage making sure they didn't fiddle, one of my drummer buddy has the same problem and gets very nervous when other people play on his kit.

[quote name='ergon' post='101148' date='Dec 7 2007, 10:05 PM']I had a problem with this at a performance in september, i let one band use it as they asked in advance however they hjadn't told me that none of the bassists had bothered to bring amps, they were rubbish anyway so i made sure they didn't touch my settings and kept them on my 10db safeguard so they wouldn't blow up my combo, i felt obliged to stand on the edge of the stage making sure they didn't fiddle, one of my drummer buddy has the same problem and gets very nervous when other people play on his kit.[/quote]

I have a Flightcased Combo which i gig with and i dont really get bothered, it goes straight back in the case and gets wheeled offstage.Its a bit like asking for credit........a refusal often offends!,i find the main deciding factor to be, good gears not cheap,if i damage it ,i have to pay/replace it. I doubt anybody else would view this with the same importance really, so i prefer to cut out the middleman.I do feel your wallet will thank you for being uncooperative in such scenarios. :huh:

[quote name='Musky' post='101105' date='Dec 7 2007, 08:20 PM']There was a thread about this recently - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7619"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7619[/url][/quote]

cheers for that :-) - i tried searching before i started a new thread but had no joy.

I agree its very rude to turn up and expect to be able to borrow someone else's amp (not to mention risky, as if everyone took that view...and as for borrowing a bass, that is ludicrous to expect something like that!) but its usually sorted by the promoter to share- in the recent situation it was agreed that one band would take the drum kit, we would take the bass amp. so the bands were told they could share, it wasn't like they turned up and took it for granted, more their lack of understanding of things like turning down the volume/putting on standby when plugging in and out & not just turning a valve amp on or off without using the standby.

It is an issue with being in an unsigned band i guess as its part of the culture, sharing is kind of expected a lot of the time. I guess i'm going to be very reluctant to lend my amp to anyone from now unless i know them or they ask in advance & at the very least insist they don't change the dials at all, volume included.

I've done some charity type gigs with multiple bands and no changeover time. What ideally happens is that all the bassists turn up with amps and decide on whom the donor will be in an amicable way. Doesnt always happen.

I have done some gigs where people turned up expecting to use my amp and sometimes my bass. I've always dealt with it on a merit basis.

[quote name='Bananaman' post='101201' date='Dec 7 2007, 11:40 PM']cheers for that :-) - i tried searching before i started a new thread but had no joy.

I agree its very rude to turn up and expect to be able to borrow someone else's amp (not to mention risky, as if everyone took that view...and as for borrowing a bass, that is ludicrous to expect something like that!) but its usually sorted by the promoter to share- in the recent situation it was agreed that one band would take the drum kit, we would take the bass amp. so the bands were told they could share, it wasn't like they turned up and took it for granted, more their lack of understanding of things like turning down the volume/putting on standby when plugging in and out & not just turning a valve amp on or off without using the standby.

It is an issue with being in an unsigned band i guess as its part of the culture, sharing is kind of expected a lot of the time. I guess i'm going to be very reluctant to lend my amp to anyone from now unless i know them or they ask in advance & at the very least insist they don't change the dials at all, volume included.[/quote]

Mr Bananaman i understand you mean well, and dont think you could possibly take my dubious,untoward approach of wanting to kill people that may wish to even sniff my gear, but i do feel sir!, you need to make a stand!.I do not, let anyone use my Ashdown 575 210T(A rare British Beast).I like yourself have stumbled on the wonderments of Valve sound and Ampeg.I own a Ampeg SVT CL and a SVT 410 HLF (Not cheap!) and to be honest the guy i bought my CL off sold it ,for the very reasons you started the thread,He was not happy about other people using his gear.PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN(preferably in a Dr Marten boot) and just say NO!.Offending someone is always gonna be cheaper than getting a valve amp fixed! :huh:

[quote name='CS2' post='101207' date='Dec 7 2007, 11:54 PM']I've done some charity type gigs with multiple bands and no changeover time. What ideally happens is that all the bassists turn up with amps and decide on whom the donor will be in an amicable way. Doesnt always happen.

I have done some gigs where people turned up expecting to use my amp and sometimes my bass. I've always dealt with it on a merit basis.[/quote]

Asking to use my bass ,would warrant me, giving you, my mobile phone to call the police!.

I used to meet the other bands and assess the competence and attitude of the other bassists before the gig. If they were nice and caring with equipment or showed a mild interest I would offer it to them, otherwise I would take all my leads/power leads with me and disappear during the other bands sound checks so nobody could ask and nobody could assume and just use it! Very often the other bassists were great and offered me money/drink and I have made some friends through it actually!!

If I'm set up first, and the next guy seems to know what he's doing then I have no real problem sharing my rig.

If another player had turned up with no amp, or even worse no bass, then I have to say my offer would NOT stand and I would run a mile. To arrive at a gig without the basic tools of your trade is a sure sign of someone to steer clear of.

IMHO of course.

[quote name='CS2' post='101207' date='Dec 7 2007, 11:54 PM']I've done some charity type gigs with multiple bands and no changeover time.[/quote]
It isn't your problem if the promoter hasn't allowed enough turn around time in between bands. I don't share my rig and you will certainly never get to play my bass. You can't rely on people, however "nice", to look after your gear when they are borrowing it.

I dont mind really if they know what they are doing well to be honest even if they dont I tend yo give them a bit of a hand sorting out a sound.

Took me a while to sort my sound out with my Ampeg so I know where evrything lives and I ussually have a fiddle when our set has kicked of saying that I dont fiddle much and the outfront guy will be supplied with a pre eq DI for him to balls up my sound.

Most kids love it that there going through an Ampeg and they respect my wishes also I am 6ft 6 and 21 stone ha ha.....

Charity Gigs I take my DI and thats it last one there were no sound checks and twas real fun but hey its a charity gig and its about the cause and having fun an enjoying your rider....

[quote name='MB1' post='101213' date='Dec 8 2007, 12:08 AM']MB1. :)
Mr Bananaman i understand you mean well, and dont think you could possibly take my dubious,untoward approach of wanting to kill people that may wish to even sniff my gear, but i do feel sir!, you need to make a stand!.I do not, let anyone use my Ashdown 575 210T(A rare British Beast).I like yourself have stumbled on the wonderments of Valve sound and Ampeg.I own a Ampeg SVT CL and a SVT 410 HLF (Not cheap!) and to be honest the guy i bought my CL off sold it ,for the very reasons you started the thread,He was not happy about other people using his gear.PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN(preferably in a Dr Marten boot) and just say NO!.Offending someone is always gonna be cheaper than getting a valve amp fixed! :huh:[/quote]

Is it just me, or is there a marked decrease in the quality of punctuation through the course of your postings yesterday evening? :huh:

Many moons ago my band (a rock band doing originals) got to support a newly signed Swedish band. One condition was that they used our gear for the 4 date mini promo tour. We travelled to Doncaster, set up at the venue in the afternoon, sound checked with the PA hire and waited... Headline act turned up, no gear 'what-so-ever'! They did a quick soundcheck (bassist using my bass and backline) and then they bogged off to the backstage area (access denied to lowly support band). We eventually went on, did our bit to a receptive crowd, headline band came on (very Guns & Roses / Hanoi Rocks) off their t*ts on chemical substances and proceeded to stumble, thrash their way though 6-7 numbers (to a growing disgruntled crowd) before the bassist took off [b]MY[/b] bass and proceeded to sling it at [b]MY[/b] rig, at the same time the drummer kicked over the drums a la Keith Moon. They roared obscenities at the crowd and stormed off stage... backstage less than 30 seconds later said band members were knocked flat on their arses (not difficult in their condition) and were about to take a kicking from a very p*ssed off bunch of Geordies!

That was the first and last gig with said 'signed' band. We got some compen' off their manager (my well gigged Jazz may have acquired another minor ding, couldn't truthfully say but I claimed it was sh*gged) and I swore there and then never again!

Edited by warwickhunt

I have a printed sheet of A4 that can be tucked into a cabinet grille that states;

"This amplifier/cabinets are not for hire or loan. Nor are they a table for beverages to be placed upon"

It resides in my gigbag.
As you may be able to tell, I've had issues with amp sharing and abuse before...

[quote name='CS2' post='101207' date='Dec 7 2007, 11:54 PM']I have done some gigs where people turned up expecting to use my amp and[i] sometimes my bass[/i]. I've always dealt with it on a merit basis.[/quote]

Wow... if someone did that, I'd tell them you'd better get a microphone and hum your parts.

I did lend my bass once, quite recently, but the poor guy had electronic problems and I took pity. He was a top guy though, so I didn't mind doing it. Not like one time when I saw my mate's band. This other band had this really arrogant bassist. He broke a string, and then shouted to the audience "I need another bass now". I personally would have turned around and carried on with my pint and see the poor twat squeal until he said something along the lines of "please", but my friend picked up his bass and gave it to him.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='101315' date='Dec 8 2007, 11:34 AM']Is it just me, or is there a marked decrease in the quality of punctuation through the course of your postings yesterday evening? :huh:[/quote]

Writers passion..... courtesy of Carling, well it is the weekend after all! :huh:

If anyone ever asks to use my basses (no-one has yet) at an originals gig, i simply would say that they're in weird tunings, which they are (not weird but lower).
But even if they were in standard, I'd say that! :-D

That way you get to say no without the guy going around everyone say "he's a twat" lol

Just call me a diplomat!

Si

I'm bad enough with my amp if a guy turned up without a bass AND amp expecting me to lend him one i'm afraid that band would have to do the performance without because the truith is if they can't be bothered to get there own even basic equipment they aren't a commited musician and certainly don't deserve to touch the equipment i worked hard to get.