Why become a member? ×

Who's gonna buy this?

Bassnut62

I just read review of EB MM Stingray Classic for £2k.
Looks nice, but who's gonna buy it?
If you had £2k for an original Ray you could get a real one for less than that, rather than a more expensive repro version.
Am I missing something here?

Well pre-EB rays, in brand new condition are hard to come by.

It appeals to me, cause I've been gassing for the string mutes for awhile.
But for 2k I'd rather buy a SSS big all or a HH Reflex.
Atleast I get more pickups, and more electronics for that price.

The price seems a bit steep though.

Tried one at the weekend and it's nothing like the originall MM sound or feel but I guess that could be "ageing" I don't get it either I have a very clean 79 with the teardrop case and the candy. And that was valued a couple of weeks back at £1500-1600.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='906654' date='Jul 27 2010, 07:29 AM']I can understand why people might be put off by the price, but I have seen these for £1580 ish if that's any help![/quote]

I would like one very much, could you tell me where you found that please? Or is it secret?? I'm looking to shift my Cirrus for one :)

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='906955' date='Jul 27 2010, 12:32 PM']I want a blue one, tort pick gaurd, RW fretboard, white p/up cover[/quote]

IMO, with the figured maple, id get a maple board, otherwise you are covering the lovely grain. The extra price on these is mainly to do with the neck.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Waldo' post='907180' date='Jul 27 2010, 03:05 PM']I've been out of the loop for a while....MM are really churning out the new models aren't they?[/quote]

Definitely!

Big Al, Big Al 5, Reflex, Reflex 5, and the Classic Stingray/Sterling 4 + 5s!

IMO, despite the fact ive been 'safe' and gone for the obvious EBMMs, they are the best company when it comes to innovative yet effective basses. But, you cant beat a Stingray!

I was looking into a Big Al again, but I think ill go for a Reflex 4 in white with black binding. Next year though.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='906932' date='Jul 27 2010, 12:15 PM']I would like one very much, could you tell me where you found that please? Or is it secret?? I'm looking to shift my Cirrus for one :)[/quote]

MB1. :rolleyes:
...Your Hands arent Big Enough! :lol: ...Try before you Buy!...I havent seen one in the flesh as yet!... let alone played one yet!.....Think the LOCAL Shop is trying to get shut of the old stock first!

seems like quite a few might buy that then!
at £1580 it does sound a bit more reasonable; but..........
- the originals have string mutes
- I personally like my instruments run in
- I don't want the depreciation
- IMO nothing ever sounds/plays as good as the real deal, especially with Leo's designs - they all seem better when he owned the company, ref Fender, MM and G&L.

Anyway, I expect these'll be good instruments and worth the £700-900 that they'll be worth in a couple of years when they're a bit run in!

The classics have string mutes.-
If everyone thought like that there would be no basses already run in -
At the minute it's a buyers Market, I wouldn't buy a new bass right now unless it was amazing and I planned on keeping it a few years.-

Fender are doing alright, EBMM are doing alright. No experience of G&L so can't comment.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='907808' date='Jul 28 2010, 07:28 AM']The classics have string mutes.-
If everyone thought like that there would be no basses already run in -
At the minute it's a buyers Market, I wouldn't buy a new bass right now unless it was amazing and I planned on keeping it a few years.-

Fender are doing alright, EBMM are doing alright. No experience of G&L so can't comment.[/quote]

someone earlier was saying about the new classics having string mutes - it sounded like maybe people thought the originals didn't.

you're right there would'nt be any run-in basses for the likes of me; so I'm glad we all have different tastes and that there are new quality Rays out there for people to enjoy and buy. having said that I did recently buy a brand-new Sandberg California, cos it is that good an instrument that I want it for a good long while.

Mark at bass direct had some for about the £1650ish? but I have put my money into the real deal anyway.Its a different animal to an EB, The slab body makes it feel very different as soon as you pick it up.The classic is nice but much nearer to a EB than a pre EB and Im pretty confident the pre is going in the opposite direction value wise long term compared to the classic.

[quote name='Stealth' post='906645' date='Jul 27 2010, 08:10 AM']Tried one at the weekend and it's nothing like the originall MM sound or feel but I guess that could be "ageing" I don't get it either I have a very clean 79 with the teardrop case and the candy. And that was valued a couple of weeks back at £1500-1600.[/quote]

Rare and vintage told me they have not let a pre EB out the shop for less than £2k for over 18 months unless its a refin which is still about what you were quoted so I would get a second opinion mate! This issue came up and got a bit heated a few months ago now and resulted in someone telling me I was stupid and clearly ripped of as they would have bought it in the states for $7-800 so even after shipping and duty they would easily be better off,Well one the same as yours but without the case finished on ebay in the states last week for £1600! not even near the $7-800 it looks like them days are long gone. If I were spending £1600-2000 on another Ray it would not be a Classic but a true Classic! (rootbeer 77 if anyone wants to shift one on please!) :)

I bought one. I only play 5 strings and wanted a "proper" Stingray. Took ages to come through. Ordered it back in January - didn't arrive until June. Tobacco with birdseye maple fingerboard. Neck is nicely figured but not AAAAA or anyhthing and certainly not like some of the first photos of them. That said I wasn't really expecting it to. Fingerboard radius is nice - similar to the Marcus Miller, and as ever the build quality is excellent.

I'm very pleased with it, but I have to say I'm struggling to see where the extra cost is justified. Oh - and if anyone gets one and uses Elixirs - the standard scale B doesn't work due to the through body stringing (and no through bridge option) :)

Its cool if you are into the vintage stuff, pre EB etc, I like the sound of the newer basses as well, having owned a fair few in my time. So post EB takeover sound with 2 band eq is good for me. I like the look of these (my Jazz is sea foam green!) so I will probably buy one at some point cos I can :)

Would be good if I could get a stingray body with a sterling neck! I know they do the SLO versions of the std stingray, but would they do that on the classic series? I like the sterling neck, but the body is just a bit small for me, hence the reason for the mix!

Tony

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='908949' date='Jul 29 2010, 09:48 AM']Its cool if you are into the vintage stuff, pre EB etc, I like the sound of the newer basses as well, having owned a fair few in my time. So post EB takeover sound with 2 band eq is good for me. I like the look of these (my Jazz is sea foam green!) so I will probably buy one at some point cos I can :)

Would be good if I could get a stingray body with a sterling neck! I know they do the SLO versions of the std stingray, but would they do that on the classic series? I like the sterling neck, but the body is just a bit small for me, hence the reason for the mix!

Tony[/quote]

I'm sure I sure they had the SLO neck option on the classics on the website, but can't remember.

To be honest they should re-issue the Sabre bass.

[quote name='JD1' post='908858' date='Jul 29 2010, 07:44 AM']I bought one. I only play 5 strings and wanted a "proper" Stingray. Took ages to come through. Ordered it back in January - didn't arrive until June. Tobacco with birdseye maple fingerboard. Neck is nicely figured but not AAAAA or anyhthing and certainly not like some of the first photos of them. That said I wasn't really expecting it to. Fingerboard radius is nice - similar to the Marcus Miller, and as ever the build quality is excellent.

I'm very pleased with it, but I have to say I'm struggling to see where the extra cost is justified. Oh - and if anyone gets one and uses Elixirs - the standard scale B doesn't work due to the through body stringing (and no through bridge option) :)[/quote]

Nice choice with the colour! That colour seems to look the best from the bunch when its in the flesh. The Powder Blue would be nice if it was a little more 'sonic' blue.

I agree though, they dont look as spectacular as the press shots, which is usually the norm. If I ever bought one again Id want a close shot of the birdseye on the neck as thats part of the price. As we are in the UK, there is this big deal about them being fairly rare, which they are to us, but they are not in the USA. They get their choice as to which they want with weight and figured neck! Some of their stores carry a fair few and we tend to just get what we are given which is not a good thing when its £1600.

Dont get me wrong, Im 100% confident EB will ship a good bass, but we are allowed to be picky esp at this price point.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='908999' date='Jul 29 2010, 10:56 AM']I'm sure I sure they had the SLO neck option on the classics on the website, but can't remember.

To be honest they should re-issue the Sabre bass.[/quote]

I THINK you can only get the Classic Ray or Classic Sterling.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Music-Man-Sting-Ray-Bass-Sunburst-Made-1978-Orig-Case-/270612683187?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f01c5d9b3"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Music-Man-Sting-Ray-...=item3f01c5d9b3[/url]

[url="http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.co.uk%2FMusic-Man-Stingray-Pre-Ernie-Ball-1977-%2F180539276516%3Fcmd%3DViewItem%26pt%3DUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV%26hash%3Ditem2a08fabce4&h=fdd06"]http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F...ce4&h=fdd06[/url]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120598351575&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

These are all on the evilbay at the moment and represent the prices compared to new classic rays,I would love all of them and a Classic in blue with the white pup please,Thats just greedy isnt it? :)