Why become a member? ×

Hello fellow bassists

Grandad Paul

Hello Everyone,
My name is Paul Miller, known as Grandad Paul, and I started playing the bass in 1963. Problem was I stopped playing it in 1965, and have been playing again for only the last 18 months. I am now 63.
Yes I know I am a damn fool for waiting so long, but I could tell you reasons for another 20 years why I did'nt pick the bass up again, but none of them would make sense.
I am having a whale of a time, and I am playing in a 60's band. Actually the reason we are a 60's band is because we are all over 60 years of age. My word we are having an amazing time.
I have a 70's reissue Fender Jazz, made in Mexico, which my wife of 40 years insists I love more than her. I could not possibly comment on that.
Look forward to getting to know you all.
Grandad Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gramps,

I also started in 1963 and am the same age as you. Main difference - I never stopped playing.

My former wife (clue there, former) once said I thought more of my Fender than of her. My Churchillian response was that I would think more of a Hondo.....marriage over shortly afterwards.

Hope you enjoy your playing as well as the brotherhood here.

Your first bass in 1963 was?

• 5 months later...

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='917706' date='Aug 7 2010, 08:03 AM']Hi Gramps,

I also started in 1963 and am the same age as you. Main difference - I never stopped playing.

My former wife (clue there, former) once said I thought more of my Fender than of her. My Churchillian response was that I would think more of a Hondo.....marriage over shortly afterwards.

Hope you enjoy your playing as well as the brotherhood here.

Your first bass in 1963 was?[/quote]

Hi Bass Doc,
Sorry its took so long to reply. My first bass was a Hofner, I think a Senator. I bought it second hand for about £12 10 shillings, and sold it for about £15 to £17. Sorry, its a long time ago. I often wish I had kept it.