Why become a member? ×

xlr output on bass guitar

cycrowave

hiya

im the proud owner of a westone thunder 2 with an xlr out on it. im a little confused by the xlr though..... im guessing it has a balanced out, so im unsure what type of lead i should be using with it and i'v had varying responses from different sources.

everything was great until the first time i gigged it using an unbalanced lead. got a really nasty hum through the house bass amp. i borrowed the soundmans balanced xlr to jack lead and didnt get any sound at all so had to just soldier on and cut all the mids and highs from my tone to kill the hum.

any advice on the correct type of lead greatly appreciated, thanks for your time

lewis

[quote name='cycrowave' post='903638' date='Jul 23 2010, 10:44 PM']hiya

im the proud owner of a westone thunder 2 with an xlr out on it. im a little confused by the xlr though..... im guessing it has a balanced out, so im unsure what type of lead i should be using with it and i'v had varying responses from different sources.

everything was great until the first time i gigged it using an unbalanced lead. got a really nasty hum through the house bass amp. i borrowed the soundmans balanced xlr to jack lead and didnt get any sound at all so had to just soldier on and cut all the mids and highs from my tone to kill the hum.

any advice on the correct type of lead greatly appreciated, thanks for your time

lewis[/quote]

It looks like you might be playing it the wrong way round :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='903721' date='Jul 24 2010, 03:08 AM']I'd get a meter and figure which pins carry the signal. It might be an XLR fitted just to act as a locking socket, and be wired however the chap felt, and had made a cable to match. The lack of 1/4" supports that.[/quote]

+1 to this. I'm pretty sure these didn't come with xlr as standard. I'd whip off the socket and have a look how its wired. Chances are you could simply replace with a standard jack socket.

Edit: Oh, and I'd check this out before putting phantom power into it. In fact If I were you I'd get absolute concrete definite proof that phantom power is required before trying. Although it worked for Dr Frankenstein, Electrocuting the bass to see if it brings it to life is probably not such a good idea at this point :)

Edited by SteveO

[quote name='cycrowave' post='903638' date='Jul 23 2010, 10:44 PM']hiya

lewis[/quote]

I don't think it is balanced from what you have said. If it is there will be circuit board inside or maybe a transformer. If a circuit board it will need power.

dave

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='SteveO' post='903785' date='Jul 24 2010, 09:26 AM']I'm pretty sure these didn't come with xlr as standard.[/quote]

1981 catalogue [url="http://www.westone.info/cats/81/07.html"]http://www.westone.info/cats/81/07.html[/url]

Edited by goingdownslow