Why become a member? ×

Wayne Brathwaite anyone?

lowdown

Does anyone remember Wayne Brathwaite?
Around in the 80/90's and sadly went to play Bass upstairs a few years ago.
He seems to be one of the session players from that era that dont get a shout around these parts.[quite a CV]
I cant find much Youtube stuff with him on.
But here he is with Herbie Hancock.
Big Rich tone and groove sim to Marcus Miller at that time.
[By the way not a post about Herbie going all Electro ]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' post='903218' date='Jul 23 2010, 02:18 PM']Does anyone remember Wayne Brathwaite?
Around in the 80/90's and sadly went to play Bass upstairs a few years ago.
He seems to be one of the session players from that era that dont get a shout around these parts.[quite a CV]
I cant find much Youtube stuff with him on.
But here he is with Herbie Hancock.
Big Rich tone and groove sim to Marcus Miller at that time.
[By the way not a post about Herbie going all Electro ]

Garry[/quote]

Remember seeing his name on quite a few LPs, he must have been playing something good to have made me want to find out who was playing.

Can't remember which songs or artists though, will have to do some digging.

Edited by Fat Rich

Certainly do!

He played bass on Glenn Jones' fine album Finesse, around '84 I think. I was still noodling around on my old classical guitar, detuned and with 2 strings missing...!

The album featured Wayne playing a cool slow slapped part on "You're The Only One I Love" - t'was one of the songs that drove me to buy my first real bass. I think the album was also produced by Wardell Potts Jr (the drummer on most of Shalamar's best known albums) and also had some input from a certain Leon F Sylvers. Can't go wrong there...

RIP Mr Brathwaite and thank you.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO-L_Bgjoqg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO-L_Bgjoqg[/url]

[quote name='Captain Bassman' post='903549' date='Jul 23 2010, 08:38 PM']Certainly do!

He played bass on Glenn Jones' fine album Finesse, around '84 I think. I was still noodling around on my old classical guitar, detuned and with 2 strings missing...!

The album featured Wayne playing a cool slow slapped part on "You're The Only One I Love" - t'was one of the songs that drove me to buy my first real bass. I think the album was also produced by Wardell Potts Jr (the drummer on most of Shalamar's best known albums) and also had some input from a certain Leon F Sylvers. Can't go wrong there...

RIP Mr Brathwaite and thank you.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO-L_Bgjoqg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO-L_Bgjoqg[/url][/quote]

That Glenn Jones track is great - stonking Tight Bass sound
Good one.

Garry

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi. Haven’t talked about my friend Wayne braithwaite in years. For those of you who don’t know,Wayne,myself another brother named victor and Alex all started playing together around the same time. The first band Wayne was in was with us four. We were known as BLACK GOLD. We were all just starting high school. I’m Perry the guitarist. All of us lived on Greene avenue in Brooklyn except victor who was the drummer. We spent many evenings in all of our basements practicing and making music together. We went to Bushwick high school on Irving ave. So if there’s anybody out there who wants to know anything about Wayne’s humble beginnings I’m sure the person to ask. He was exceptionally good and went on to levels I never imagined when we first started playing instruments. I haven’t seen or talked to Alex in years. He was the lead singer and percussionist. I believe he lives in North Carolina now. And sadly victor passed away along time ago as well. Before Wayne I believe. Anyway if anybody out there reading this would like to ask me anything please feel free to do so.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 years later...
On 02/01/2021 at 20:54, James owens said:

Hi. Haven’t talked about my friend Wayne braithwaite in years. For those of you who don’t know,Wayne,myself another brother named victor and Alex all started playing together around the same time. The first band Wayne was in was with us four. We were known as BLACK GOLD. We were all just starting high school. I’m Perry the guitarist. All of us lived on Greene avenue in Brooklyn except victor who was the drummer. We spent many evenings in all of our basements practicing and making music together. We went to Bushwick high school on Irving ave. So if there’s anybody out there who wants to know anything about Wayne’s humble beginnings I’m sure the person to ask. He was exceptionally good and went on to levels I never imagined when we first started playing instruments. I haven’t seen or talked to Alex in years. He was the lead singer and percussionist. I believe he lives in North Carolina now. And sadly victor passed away along time ago as well. Before Wayne I believe. Anyway if anybody out there reading this would like to ask me anything please feel free to do so.

This was lovely to hear about him and his early days.  My sister and I spent some time with him when he came to London on the 'Rock It' tour in 1984.  He was lovely, a real gent and good fun.  So sad he is no longer with us.  I still have his neckerchief with me, will always keep it safe along with my good memories.