Why become a member? ×

When is good, good enough??

There are a lot of bass players on the local scene and the interesting thing is. . . . . . . the best players usually aren't the best band members. 

I see bass players out there who have studied and gained music degrees and who have more talent in their little finger than the rest of us put together, but when they are playing in local bands they often use technique rather than feel. They overplay and complicate their bass lines and don't always serve the song. They know so much and seem to want to use all of it in every song!

That gives me hope that an old duffer like me will always get called for gigs, because I arrive knowing the set, lock with the drummer and don't get in anyone's way.

• Like 1

In 2007 I was 9 years absent from bass playing and music. Then started playing again around  2010, never really practised as I learned the Maiden bass lines I wanted to play. No need to impress anyone really, it's good enough for my own music.

12 hours ago, chris_b said:

There are a lot of bass players on the local scene and the interesting thing is. . . . . . . the best players usually aren't the best band members. 

I see bass players out there who have studied and gained music degrees and who have more talent in their little finger than the rest of us put together, but when they are playing in local bands they often use technique rather than feel. They overplay and complicate their bass lines and don't always serve the song. They know so much and seem to want to use all of it in every song!

That gives me hope that an old duffer like me will always get called for gigs, because I arrive knowing the set, lock with the drummer and don't get in anyone's way.

Spot on. 
There’s a documentary about BB King, taken in the 70s, that I believe is still on BBC iplayer. In it he’s asked how he chooses his band members. I may have the percentages slightly wrong but he answers “40% on musical ability, 60% on them as people”.

On right hand technique is good when You can play, let's say' - Donna Lee at a high speed. For all is good when You can develope interisting grooves and make them sound nice on different chords. The 3rd. is that that You create a good relationship with Your drummer and both of You feel the future together.