Why become a member? ×

Is the Bass a Guitar?

Commando Jack

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='902585' date='Jul 23 2010, 12:49 AM']Can you see the word "guitar" uttered in any of these early 50's ads? :)[/quote]

Watched an ad for an Audi estate last night. Nowhere was the word "Car" mentioned. I wonder how many people are wandering round in a state of bewilderment this morning wondering if it was a car or a van?

[quote name='SteveO' post='902997' date='Jul 23 2010, 11:28 AM']Watched an ad for an Audi estate last night. Nowhere was the word "Car" mentioned. I wonder how many people are wandering round in a state of bewilderment this morning wondering if it was a car or a van?[/quote]

Or more importantly if they can get their Amp & Bass in the back.

Good morning Norway.

Garry

[quote name='SteveO' post='902997' date='Jul 23 2010, 11:28 AM']Watched an ad for an Audi estate last night. Nowhere was the word "Car" mentioned. I wonder how many people are wandering round in a state of bewilderment this morning wondering if it was a car or a van?[/quote]
I used to have a Vauxhall Astra 1.8SXI estate car. I took it to get a new exhuast fitted. When the guy had it up on his ramp and he was underneath he said 'You know, don't you, that this is just a Bedford van with rear windows, a back seat, and a sports injection engine?'. I loved that [s]car[/s] van.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='902343' date='Jul 22 2010, 08:51 PM']Yes, correct, the bass guitar is a bass guitar and the double bass, as it's commonly known, is a bass viol.[/quote]
Or Bull Fiddle, maybe we should call ours a Bull Axe or something :) :rolleyes:

Is the Bass a Guitar?

Definition of Guitar:
A musical instrument having a flat-backed rounded body that narrows in the middle, a long fretted neck, and usually six strings, played by strumming or plucking.

That describes my bass therefore yes it is a guitar.

In my book, the Electric Bass, or acoustic basses that resemble an acoustic guitar, you know what I mean, they're all part of the guitar family. The double bass, however, is part of the Violin family (or whatever that family of instruments is called). But for the sake of the poll, I've put that it [i]is[/i] a guitar, because I'm assuming by Bass we're talking about Fenders, Musicmans, etc.

I don't actually mind what you care to call our instrument of choice.
I think that the slight vaguery over its identity (rather than the role it fulfils) has actually liberated manufacturers and luthiers alike, which, in turn have produced innovations in construction, electronics and pick-up systems. These are not necessarily exclusive to bass (some being common to guitar) but they seem more readily accepted by bass players than guitarists.

Consider;
Fanned frets, Piezo and magnetic systems combined, Graphite necks, Through Necks, longer and shorter scale lengths, active pick-ups, active EQs, fretless, half-fretless, optical pick-ups, headless designs, timber choices and so on.
It wouldn't be unusual to find a few of these on one bass instrument. One of them in a guitar would render it an oddity that many players might ignore without even trying it.

Long live the confusion!

Pardon me if similar has been posted as I haven't read all the pages, but doesn't the name Bass Guitar give the answer away slightly?
On Basschat gear we have sections called Bass Guitars & Double Bass/EUB to keep them separate.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='903814' date='Jul 24 2010, 10:09 AM']....I think that the slight vaguery over its identity (rather than the role it fulfils) has actually liberated manufacturers and luthiers alike, which, in turn have produced innovations in construction, electronics and pick-up systems. These are not necessarily exclusive to bass (some being common to guitar) but they seem more readily accepted by bass players than guitarists....[/quote]
Guitarists have kept the instrument and amps pretty constant since the 1950's, but they have added a lot of innovation to their sound in the form of the pedal board.

[quote name='dougal' post='901697' date='Jul 22 2010, 10:22 AM']Give a guitarist, any guitarist, a bass guitar, and he can play Mustang Sally in five minutes.

Give a guitarist a proper bass and... it wouldn't be pretty.

It's a guitar.[/quote]
:)
It's called a bass guitar, so I reckon that's what it is. :rolleyes:

This is a subject dear to my heart.

From my age and perspective the instrument we all play and love is definitely an electric bass.
I lIke the term and defend it's use where I can. If asked I play electric bass not a bass guitar.

Dear old Leo invented a portable and louder alternative to the upright bass – the electric bass pure and simple.

I understand it is difficult for people to appreciate this these days - of course the thing looks and plays like a guitar. But, referring to the original post and in the context of the band in question I would agree that the instrument is not a guitar .

I think the real test of whether it is a guitar is to give a guitar to a bass player. If he can play it as well as he can play the bass then obviously it is indeed a guitar. After all give a sax player a Soprano, Alto, tenor or Baritone they can play each with no problems and probably a bunch of clarinets too.