Why become a member? ×

Jackson 'Kip Winger' Futura *SOLD*

cetera

I've decided to streamline/change-up my collection slightly so I'm moving on some basses. You've probably seen my beautiful Pedulla fretless in another sale thread....

So what do we have here then?

Well, it's a superb early 90's Japanese made Jackson 'Kip Winger' signature 'Futura' bass with active Jackson pickups/circuitry. The bass is thru-neck with a 21 fret rosewood fingerboard and black heavy duty bridge/hardware.

The bass is relatively lightweight with a streamlined 'Super-Jazz' body and a very comfortable neck. Tones are full and present and range from deep bass to a hi-fi zing. Indeed, the guy who owned this before me played it in a blues covers band... and I've used it both in a versatile function band scenario and a full-on heavy rock band.

The white colour is bold and lightly sparkly but yellowing slightly around the bass of the fretboard & lower cutaway area. There are the usual light player-knocks on the headstock & a couple on the body edges but nothing major or worthy of mention.

These Japanese Jacksons are highly regarded for their build quality and attention to detail and are, in the opinion of many Jackson afficionados, the last of the truly great Jacksons... As such, these basses are getting much harder to find and, with the resurgence of classic rock starting to become quite sought after. Not many were made in this colour either....

Anyway, with all that out of the way..... the price...

I'm looking for [b]SOLD[/b].
I will post internationally for additional courier costs.
I will accept payment in the form of a direct bank transfer or cheque (subject to clearance). No Paypal please.
NO trades.

and here it is, pictured with its brothers :) :

Edited by cetera

[quote name='lozbass' post='903052' date='Jul 23 2010, 12:11 PM']I don't know anything about these but that looks extremely cool - very sleek. A proper rockstar's bass.[/quote]

It certainly is! It's a very streamlined, comfortable and powerful sounding bass. Very underrated IMHO...

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='904298' date='Jul 24 2010, 08:36 PM']Theres a bargain! Theres literally no love for Jackson/Charvel gear on this site, tis shocking. Great build quality, must be the unorthodox shapes. I love Kip Winger and all the Glam Rock/Hair Metal that went with him.[/quote]

+1 i bloody love kip winger and this is one gorgeous looking bass ( strangely though i prefer the black one, very sexy) very skint lad otherwise id have his in a second and then turn up to jazz gigs with it - :)

Thanks for all the lovely comments chaps. A great bass is a great bass, regardless of how 'cool' the name on the headstock is perceived to be. :)

[quote name='johnnylager' post='904296' date='Jul 24 2010, 08:32 PM']What's the nut width mate?[/quote]

It appears to be approx 4.1 - 4.2 cms....

Great bass buddy. I tried one out back when, ...and it was great! I'm a bit old and fat for the spikey headstocks these days, but that's a whole lot of bass for a very reasonable price. Very underrated basses.
I'm sure whoever buys this will be well and truly satisfied!

Good luck with the sale bud!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='907693' date='Jul 27 2010, 11:04 PM']Interesting...I always thought of Winger as a "players" band who were somewhat underrated. Despite some dire songs, the boys could play![/quote]

Yep, Winger were one of the 80's rock bands who were highly respected by musicians. Kip was a classically trained pianist who was no slouch on bass or vicals, Reb Beach was/is respected as one of the finest guitarists of his generation, Paul Taylor is a multi-instrumentalist who has since gone on to MD shows for many famous artists and Rod Morgenstein is also the drummer in the Dixie Dregs! Definitely no slouches... :)

I would alo like to point out to those with a 'signature model'-aversion that the things that makes this bass a 'Kip Winger' Futura are the fact that it is of a higher grade wood with a thru-neck and a trussrod cover with his name on it! The trussrod cover can easily be removed should you so wish...:)

Edited by cetera

Have a bump on me as my dad plays one of these week in week out and he's 67 and his band do everything from Roy Orbison to Arctic Monkeys (ironically nobody in his band "look good on the dance floor" these days). It's a cool bass - FACT - and it plays really well too. Nobody is too old for a pointy headstock!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...