Why become a member? ×

To screw or not to screw??? Advice wanted!

KevinJazzBass

Hi guys,

I really want to put a pick up cover on my JV Jazz bass over the neck pick up. However I am aware that drilling a couple of holes in the body for the screws could affect the value if I come to sell it on. When i got the bass it came with a black scratchplate and I replaced it with a tortoiseshell fender 62 reissue plate. This new plates has holes for the pick up cover which i think would look fantastic on the bass but does anyone know of a good way to fix it to the bass without using screws? If i was to drill a couple of holes then putting on the original black scratchplate would actually cover them up.

Any help would be really appreciated guys.

Thanks

Kevin

Take off your drilled scratchplate & countersink the screwholes from the back. Then get some suitably small countersunk-headed machine screws & nuts, and attach the pup cover from behind, with the nuts on the front. This is how thumbrests were sometimes attached on JapCrap copies.

You'll have to take off your strings & thread them under the cover to put it all back together.

Alternatively if you don't give a sh!t about the value of your bass, do this:

[quote name='OldGit' post='901019' date='Jul 21 2010, 03:53 PM']Just screw it on and don't worry.[/quote]
:)

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='901148' date='Jul 21 2010, 06:47 PM']Take off your drilled scratchplate & countersink the screwholes from the back. Then get some suitably small countersunk-headed machine screws & nuts, and attach the pup cover from behind, with the nuts on the front. This is how thumbrests were sometimes attached on JapCrap copies.

You'll have to take off your strings & thread them under the cover to put it all back together.

Alternatively if you don't give a sh!t about the value of your bass, do this:

:rolleyes:

Jon.[/quote]

Jon
No one will think any the less of a JV jazz for having screw holes where a proper Fender pickup cover was fitted. It's not like sticking an extra thumb rest on or strap peg in the wrong place or routing it for a different bridge.
In fact sell it with the covers and it will probably be worth £20 more.

Oh, PS: Nice fix idea too.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='901189' date='Jul 21 2010, 07:13 PM']Jon
No one will think any the less of a JV jazz for having screw holes where a proper Fender pickup cover was fitted. It's not like sticking an extra thumb rest on or strap peg in the wrong place or routing it for a different bridge.
[b]In fact sell it with the covers and it will probably be worth £20 more. [/b]

:)[/quote]
Exactly what I have done in the past.

[quote name='OldGit' post='901189' date='Jul 21 2010, 07:13 PM']Jon
In fact sell it with the covers and it will probably be worth £20 more.

Oh, PS: Nice fix idea too.[/quote]
I trust you noticed the " :rolleyes: "?

Thing is, KevinJazzBass asked a specific question about value, and like it or not, "collecty" people are very anal about such things & screwholes, covers, non-original parts and all that sort of thing will devalue it. That's just a symptom of the fact that these were sold as cheapos back in the day & most have been modded, trashed or worse by now.

On the subject, I'm inclined to think the black undrilled scratchplate wasn't original - I think JV Jazzes would have come with drilled plates & undrilled bodies. Obviously I haven't seen 'em all (and Js seem much less common than Ps) so there might be exceptions.

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='901481' date='Jul 22 2010, 12:01 AM']I trust you noticed the " :rolleyes: "?

Thing is, KevinJazzBass asked a specific question about value, and like it or not, "collecty" people are very anal about such things & screwholes, covers, non-original parts and all that sort of thing will devalue it. That's just a symptom of the fact that these were sold as cheapos back in the day & most have been modded, trashed or worse by now.

On the subject, I'm inclined to think the black undrilled scratchplate wasn't original - I think JV Jazzes would have come with drilled plates & undrilled bodies. Obviously I haven't seen 'em all (and Js seem much less common than Ps) so there might be exceptions.

J.[/quote]

Yup I expect you are right.

The three JV P's I've had all had cover holes in the plates, but not in the bodies :)

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='KevinJazzBass' post='900993' date='Jul 21 2010, 03:09 PM']I really want to put a pick up cover on my JV Jazz bass over the neck pick up. However I am aware that drilling a couple of holes in the body for the screws could affect the value if I come to sell it on.
Kevin[/quote]

Don't sell it then.......keep it.