Why become a member? ×

The long awaited Big Baby...

alexclaber

Is just being finished off! :)

And it has a bigger brother in the works, the Big Twin. Essentially a 2x12" version of the Big One it plays a bit louder (~3dB), goes quite a bit lower (-3dB point shifts down by ~7Hz), and offers a 4 ohm nominal load to get the most out of typical bass amps, which combined with the greater speaker area and enclosure size makes it usefully easier to drive. Big cab, BIG sound, big price (unfortunately!) Pretty righteous though...

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='900905' date='Jul 21 2010, 12:59 PM']Doesn't appear to be any soundclips. I can mostly hear Bolt Thrower. That isn't very funky.[/quote]

You're not very funky!

This looks awesome. Very interested indeed.. Would be great to have a pair of these to replace my pair of GS412's for small gigs. Reckon one could deal with my Sunn 1200s? Can't afford it right now but may well be worth having a clearout for.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='901011' date='Jul 21 2010, 03:38 PM']Reckon one could deal with my Sunn 1200s?[/quote]

Sunn 1200s (nice head!) puts out ~800W into 4 ohms. Big Twin can handle 900W thermally all day long and excursion-wise 1200W peaks in the lows before compression/distortion sets in. So yes!

[quote name='joegarcia' post='901011' date='Jul 21 2010, 03:38 PM']You're not very funky!

This looks awesome. Very interested indeed.. Would be great to have a pair of these to replace my pair of GS412's for small gigs. Reckon one could deal with my Sunn 1200s? Can't afford it right now but may well be worth having a clearout for.[/quote]

[quote name='alexclaber' post='901023' date='Jul 21 2010, 03:58 PM']Sunn 1200s (nice head!) puts out ~800W into 4 ohms. Big Twin can handle 900W thermally all day long and excursion-wise 1200W peaks in the lows before compression/distortion sets in. So yes![/quote]

Bear in mind this is a guideline and not a challenge.

Plus this is a cab with a midrange, with attendant micing fun, that you have previously stated you dislike. I reckon the Dubster or Big One/sub and a Vintage are what you are after. Can DI the lows, mic up the Vintage.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='901034' date='Jul 21 2010, 04:09 PM']Ah, my bad, I thought this was just a 2x12. It has a midrange driver then does it?[/quote]

Yes, all the Big Series cab have midrange drivers because their woofers are much more subwoofery than most and thus go much lower at the expense of the highs. You could cross to a BIG horn tweeter (as on nice PA cabs) but a midrange driver is much more bass guitar tone friendly, especially if you like to run lots of effects and/or distortion. And that then leaves you the option of a tweeter for true fullrange studio speaker-like response which you can then turn down if you want to get nasty with the fuzz.

For those who want a better twist on the conventional 2x12" there is the Super Twelve. But as I've said many a time, I don't believe in classifying cabs by speaker configuration, max output and low frequency roll-off points are probably the best way to divide things up, but sadly accurate specs for this are somewhat rare...

• 1 month later...

[quote name='joegarcia' post='901054' date='Jul 21 2010, 04:33 PM']Cool, Super Twelve sounds like the one for me then. Not into tweeters at all.[/quote]

I don't like tweeters either. So, after many exchanges with Alex. I ended up with...a Super Twelve T! All I can say is that the tweeter is excellent - no tinniness or zing, just clear, defined highs. It's certainly made me reconsier my own prejudices about tweeters anyway!

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='939843' date='Aug 30 2010, 11:00 AM']I don't like tweeters either. So, after many exchanges with Alex. I ended up with...a Super Twelve T! All I can say is that the tweeter is excellent - no tinniness or zing, just clear, defined highs. It's certainly made me reconsier my own prejudices about tweeters anyway![/quote]

Sounds nice but I don't like clear, defined highs and use lots of distortion. I'm over the moon with my Compact though :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='940779' date='Aug 31 2010, 11:07 AM']About 10kHz.[/quote]
Damn - I should have posted as I guessed 10 to 12kHz :)
Assuming it's the same type as in the BigOne, The mid driver is exceptionally smooth - no gritty sizzle or peaky ringing from effects units. I use a Boss GT-10B which can chuck out some weird sounds with lots of high frequency component. The mid unit handles it all with the style of Fred Astaire. Smooth, seamless and without apparent effort.

Edited by ShergoldSnickers

• 2 months later...