Why become a member? ×

trace elliot, problem or not?

gary mac

This may not even be a problem, but just thought I would ask.

I switched on my Trace combo a few nights back and nowt happened.
After a bit of fiddling about I discovered that the the fuse in the amp had blown.
I fitted a replacement, which did the trick.

My question is: do fuses sometimes blow for no apparent reason, or is it a sign of a potential fault?

The replacement has not blown, but I'm just wary now and worried about the same happening mid gig or rehearsal.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

All the best Gary.

Sad to say that you're rig is now beyond repair and is worthless, as I'm such a kind hearted guy I'll give you £20 for it and even cover the courier costs :)

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it - you could always carry a spare (fuse not combo) in your bag for piece of mind.

Additionally, replacing your regular 4-way block with a surge protector one is always a good idea

My SMX used to blow a fuse every time I turned it on.

Trace said it was because they'd changed the power supply to a stiffer one, and it was drawing more current at start-up than the specified fuse would permit without blowing.

The tech suggested using a slow-blow fuse of the same rating (3.15A in my case)
I tracked some down at a HiFi shop and bought 10 for £2.

That was over a decade ago, and I still have 9 left... The Tenth is still in it!

Worth a try, but mail or phone them first.

[quote name='gary mac' post='100133' date='Dec 6 2007, 12:30 PM']This may not even be a problem, but just thought I would ask.

I switched on my Trace combo a few nights back and nowt happened.
After a bit of fiddling about I discovered that the the fuse in the amp had blown.
I fitted a replacement, which did the trick.

My question is: do fuses sometimes blow for no apparent reason, or is it a sign of a potential fault?

The replacement has not blown, but I'm just wary now and worried about the same happening mid gig or rehearsal.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

All the best Gary.[/quote]
It'll probably be OK, I have several spare fuses ever since one blew once, and I've never ever used any of them! If the fuse keeps dying then, as LFalex says, it's a problem, but a one-off should just be a one-off. Hopefully. Touch wood. :)