Why become a member? ×

Nick Oliveri's bass sound on 'Songs for the Deaf'

thumbo

Does anyone know what setup Nick Oliveri used on Songs for the Deaf? I want that tone!
I read somewhere that he used a 70's ampeg amp, I've only ever seen him using 8x10's of some kind, and 99% of the time he's got an old P-Bass in his hands. That's all I know! Can anyone fill me in on a little more info?

Cheers
Ed

EDIT: One other thing, what tuning is he in on that album? Some form of drop C isn't it?

Edited by thumbo

[quote name='bassboy115' post='9066' date='May 30 2007, 10:41 AM']iv gt a interview in bass guitar magazine somwhere ill try n find it...all i can remeber is he takes all his control knobs off his pbass and controls it all via a volume pedal and leaves the tone full.[/quote]

I think it was in Bass Guitar, he wires his pickups straight to the volume pedal, bypassing the tone controls on the bass. IIRC the volume pedal is the only pedal he uses, with any fuzz/distortion coming from cranking up the Ampeg amp.

Hamster

My mates dad does that for him, he sets up the bass and sorts his amps out.

Its as you've described, wired past the p'basses controlls to the pedal, then the 70's ampeg to the 8x10

Very middy sounds, not much treble.

I'd suggest;

Bass: 6/10

Mids: 9/10

Treble: 3/10

Hope this helps

Thanks,

Parker

He absolutely CRANKS the drive on the SVT 2's to get his tone. Think the break in No One Knows when he's playing the octave. Serious overdrive!!
When I had my SVT 2 this was one of the songs I'd very happily play along to as the tone was just dialled if I went to 10 on the drive.

I recently got a V4BH & yes U can get the 'dirt' outta it! Well too!!!!! & at a good volume!! Don't have to be blasting the house down to get it! But IMHO this amp IS loud enough & has a line out on rear for PA support.
But-yes U can get LUVLY power amp OD with the V4BH- they've been discontinued tho - so grab one quick or look 2nd hand!

[quote name='Hamster' post='9143' date='May 30 2007, 01:07 PM']the volume pedal is the only pedal he uses.[/quote]

Not sure where his distortion comes from, but I'm pretty sure he had more than just a volume pedal when he played with the Dwarves at Download Festival last year...

[quote name='ashevans09' post='12243' date='Jun 5 2007, 12:34 AM']Not sure where his distortion comes from, but I'm pretty sure he had more than just a volume pedal when he played with the Dwarves at Download Festival last year...[/quote]

Its not distortion.... it's overdrive from the SVT2. :)

[quote name='tombboy' post='12836' date='Jun 6 2007, 07:28 AM']Its not distortion.... it's overdrive from the SVT2. :)[/quote]

At the risk of sounding like Mr Punch - That's the way to do it! [url="http://planetsmilies.net"][/url]

Hamster