Why become a member? ×

Strap mounted preamp or something?

jmccabe

I've got a Dean Edge Pro 5 string active bass and a Rockbass fretless 5 string. The Rockbass is extremely quiet compared to the Dean so I was thinking that maybe there's something I can get that will plug in to the Rockbass and mount on the strap and do a bit of amplification just to bring it up to the same sort of level as the Dean. The main aim is to make it simple just to swap from one bass to the other, mainly at practise sessions.

I've got alittle JHS flyspeck headphone amplifier I was given as a present years ago that could potentially do the sort of job I want, but perhaps there's something out there that would be more appropriate or better quality?

Thanks for any info you've got.
John

[quote name='jmccabe' post='895623' date='Jul 15 2010, 02:08 PM']I've got a Dean Edge Pro 5 string active bass and a Rockbass fretless 5 string. The Rockbass is extremely quiet compared to the Dean so I was thinking that maybe there's something I can get that will plug in to the Rockbass and mount on the strap and do a bit of amplification just to bring it up to the same sort of level as the Dean. The main aim is to make it simple just to swap from one bass to the other, mainly at practise sessions.

I've got alittle JHS flyspeck headphone amplifier I was given as a present years ago that could potentially do the sort of job I want, but perhaps there's something out there that would be more appropriate or better quality?

Thanks for any info you've got.
John[/quote]

I have a Sadowsky belt mounted preamp that is just the kind of thing you need. Could clip onto the strap just as easily. i leave it sitting on the amp, as it happens. Amazing improvement to the sound. Dunno if they still sell them though.

I'd sell you mine if I could find a DI pedal version of the same thing quickly.

[quote name='fatback' post='895625' date='Jul 15 2010, 02:12 PM']I have a Sadowsky belt mounted preamp that is just the kind of thing you need. Could clip onto the strap just as easily. i leave it sitting on the amp, as it happens. Amazing improvement to the sound. Dunno if they still sell them though.

I'd sell you mine if I could find a DI pedal version of the same thing quickly.[/quote]

Thanks for that. Has it got a model number or name or something that might help me find one online?

[quote name='jmccabe' post='895642' date='Jul 15 2010, 02:40 PM']Thanks for that. Has it got a model number or name or something that might help me find one online?[/quote]

I can't see the belt clip model at all on the Sadowsky site. Maybe it's been phased out.

[quote name='RussFM' post='896351' date='Jul 16 2010, 10:46 AM']Something like this?[/quote]

Err- yes, something like that, but preferably not discontinued :-)

Interestingly, I looked at the Aguilar site and I found the OBP-2SK which is an internal 2 band version - something like that might be worth thinking about as it's got stacked bass/treble pots. On the rockbass there's 2 volume controls, one for each pickup, and a single tone control so potentially something like that might do the job for me.

Thanks though
John

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='897125' date='Jul 17 2010, 10:14 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aguilar-bass-2-band-bass-18-volt-outboard-preamp-db-9-/170514792090?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27b3793e9a"]One for BIN on ebay.[/url][/quote]

That must've just gone recently on as I looked there yesterday. Added to my watch list for sure, thanks for the heads up. Didn't realise it was 18volt though, hopefully it's not too greedy on batteries.

[quote name='ezbass' post='897535' date='Jul 17 2010, 07:52 PM']That must've just gone recently on as I looked there yesterday. Added to my watch list for sure, thanks for the heads up. Didn't realise it was 18volt though, hopefully it's not too greedy on batteries.[/quote]

Its a buy it now, so not huge point in watching unless you are desperate to save £20 at the risk of missing it.

i have the Sadowsky and it's great little unit - I sometimes use it to bypass the nasty cheap Ashdown amps that a lot of rehearsal rooms seem to have :)

It was discontinued a few years back in favour of the floor mounted pedal. They pop up on Ebay from time to time though.