Why become a member? ×

Thunderbirds? Why no Basschat Love?

Supertim

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='896326' date='Jul 16 2010, 10:34 AM']

If they're good enough for Overend. They're fine by me.[/quote]

Now that 's more like it. My all time fave - Early(ish) Mott the Hoople. Put the Thunderbird with a heavy organ and k'pow.

So that's why the fashion for "platforms" started - all those Thunderbird players needed to re-balance their own centre-of-gravity to counteract the neck dive!

PS. Only kidding.

PPS. He's still got a thunderbird and it's been customised to medium pink.

Balcro.

Neck dive on the Epi's?

Tada: [url="http://www.lysator.liu.se/~wizkid/music/thunderbird_mod/"]http://www.lysator.liu.se/~wizkid/music/thunderbird_mod/[/url]

I'm surprised that's not been mentioned already tbh, the neck dive comments appear on every T-Bird thread and this is the sure fire way to fix it on the Epi bolt on's.

[quote name='Buzz' post='896579' date='Jul 16 2010, 02:43 PM']Neck dive on the Epi's?

Tada: [url="http://www.lysator.liu.se/~wizkid/music/thunderbird_mod/"]http://www.lysator.liu.se/~wizkid/music/thunderbird_mod/[/url]

I'm surprised that's not been mentioned already tbh, the neck dive comments appear on every T-Bird thread and this is the sure fire way to fix it on the Epi bolt on's.[/quote]
Again his main problem is that his strap is TOO SHORT!

I was a bit bored this afternoon - forgive the sloppy MS paint job, but if I were to ever have a custom thunderbird made, it would be something like this. Essentially just a bit of body streamlining - something between a mockingbird and a thunderbird.

Edited by Wil

Too bad that I had to let my ´64 Thunderbird IV go for financial reasons in the 90s. It was custom coloured in metallic green and looked so glamrock. The only bass which I seriously regret having it sold.
In combination with my silverface SVT + 8x10 cab every guitarplar turned pale about the output. The only other basses that could cut through in a similar manner were WAL and Precision basses.

I am not a fan of thunderbird basses for playing as I did a practice session on one a while back, but they do sound great

If I am allowed to mention guitars though, stephen stills played one with one central pick up in the 70s and I think it is one of the coolest guitars ive seen

[quote name='Wil' post='896710' date='Jul 16 2010, 05:28 PM']I was a bit bored this afternoon - forgive the sloppy MS paint job, but if I were to ever have a custom thunderbird made, it would be something like this. Essentially just a bit of body streamlining - something between a mockingbird and a thunderbird.[/quote]

That top horn screams 'Schecter' at me, and I could swear that I've seen one of their basses that looked exactly like that - Google gives me nothing though, I might have dreamt it.

My first (and only) bass which I've only had a couple of months is an Epi Thunderbird. With a cheapo synthetic Ernie Ball strap, the neck dive was pretty bad, but I've now got a nice Levy's leather strap on it, which is rather wide and padded, so not much of an issue.

More of an issue is not having a bass amp, and even more of an issue is not having the money for a bass amp right now. Doesn't stop me loving my T'Bird though.

[quote name='daniel2001' post='897014' date='Jul 17 2010, 12:27 AM']My first (and only) bass which I've only had a couple of months is an Epi Thunderbird. With a cheapo synthetic Ernie Ball strap, the neck dive was pretty bad, but I've now got a nice Levy's leather strap on it, which is rather wide and padded, so not much of an issue.

More of an issue is not having a bass amp, and even more of an issue is not having the money for a bass amp right now. Doesn't stop me loving my T'Bird though.[/quote]

plenty on sale on BC
keep checking it out :)

[attachment=54397:DSCN3634.JPG]
just thought a photo was the ticket of these much unloved darlings would be nice.
Neckdive -shift the strap button,leather strap with suede back(inside bit on shoulder) and what are you talking about -fixed
I,m glad people like marmite basses just goes to show that we all are individuals and not Dolly the sheep

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='896978' date='Jul 16 2010, 11:20 PM']That top horn screams 'Schecter' at me, and I could swear that I've seen one of their basses that looked exactly like that - Google gives me nothing though, I might have dreamt it.[/quote]
[url="http://www.spectorbass.com/bass_perf_rex4_1.html"]this is probably what you're thinking of[/url].

[quote name='bassmanAzz' post='897028' date='Jul 17 2010, 12:50 AM']plenty on sale on BC
keep checking it out :)[/quote]

Lack of money is the only thing that's stopping me. For now I'm using a Boss GT8 as a pre and a set of Logitech cheapo PC speakers (2.1 setup), its just about doing the job, until I get a job and am able to get a proper amp.

I've been finding this thing rather comfy, although having a bass or guitar on my right leg hurts like hell (did my knee in a while back).

[quote name='Lord Sausage' post='897282' date='Jul 17 2010, 02:01 PM']If a Fender and a Gibson had sex. This would be its retarded offspring![/quote]

Hmmm... If you'd ever played one of those early Overwaters, you'd understand how astoundingly good they are. I'm still waiting for 'X to leave me this one in his will! :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='897229' date='Jul 17 2010, 12:46 PM'][url="http://www.spectorbass.com/bass_perf_rex4_1.html"]this is probably what you're thinking of[/url].[/quote]

That's the badger, cheers Red - at least now I know I'm not going insane on that front...

• 1 month later...

[quote name='leo1' post='947607' date='Sep 6 2010, 08:22 PM']I've got a Epi T/bird pro(2009) Lovely Bass, but not for me.
I'm looking for a Tokai or even better ,if anyone's possibly got one, an Epi Elitist T/bird for swop[/quote]
Here's pics of T/bird pro...
[attachment=58271:P1150989.JPG][attachment=58272:P1150988.JPG]

Edited by leo1

• 8 months later...

I think I'd quite like a Gibson Thunderbird, but was massively unimpressed with the Epiphone 'boggo' Thunderbird I had.

Deaver's non-reverse Thunderbird V - through the hands of my and Guzzibass, is the best of the Epiphone outputs that I've yet played. I'd recommend it to anyone - cool bass, something very unique about it; the P/J combination made a bit more sense to me than the dual humbuckers; and it felt like you could bat people off with it, unlike some of the more fragile Epiphone builds.

[quote name='chipmunk_jr' post='1238352' date='May 20 2011, 04:27 PM']I have the Epiphone Pro IV and is simply the best. The sound, the look it's just yes!!!
Also you get used to the neck diving.[/quote]

It is great, but I'm keen to change the pups, not overwhelmed by the sound imo.

My new Blazer's been getting all the gigs since I bought it but the Thunderbird will be back out for the next gig.

Its more the feel of the bass for me. its the closest I've owned to my perfect bass playing wise. Still buggering around with the electronics. Currently has a set of EMG DCs but over the weekend I'm planning on removing the neck pickup and installing a Bartolini NTBT 2 band EQ and just run it with the bridge pickup

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1238450' date='May 20 2011, 05:29 PM']My new Blazer's been getting all the gigs since I bought it but the Thunderbird will be back out for the next gig.

Its more the feel of the bass for me. its the closest I've owned to my perfect bass playing wise. Still buggering around with the electronics. Currently has a set of EMG DCs but over the weekend I'm planning on removing the neck pickup and installing a Bartolini NTBT 2 band EQ and just run it with the bridge pickup[/quote]

EMG 35HZ's fitted? See my thread...

I love my thunderbird!

Its a gibson btw, i think the cheepo bog std epi's may have tarnished the specialness of the real thing.

my gibson is resonant responsive very rich sounding. and above all beautiful.

oh and very fun to play.

AND......... ARE THERE NO KINGS OF LEON FANS HEAR? the last three albums featured some great rock bass performances.

Check out the latest single 'immortals'.

:)