Why become a member? ×

A new model in the works...

alexclaber

I think this could go down rather well with a very specific niche of bass players - reggae, rocksteady, ska and dub bassists. These sounds have always been close to my heart and were one of the key drivers in designing the original Barefaced model, the Big One. However if you're a dedicated dubstyle player you don't need the extra top of the Big One and you probably don't have a massive amp to drive it, and you're not going to be going below low B and many of you won't be going below low E.

So what we have in the works is a reasonably compact 2x15" (same width and depth as the Big One but about 6" taller) which is tuned for maximum fatness in the lows and can handle absolutely tons of power but doesn't need much power to get loud. It won't go above about 1.5kHz but that doesn't matter if you're dedicated to the cause of riddim. In the region where it matters it has similar sensitivity to an Ampeg 8x10" but it can handle ten times the power before farting out (the voice coils will be thorougly melted if you put that much in for more than a short burst but you get the point). The 4 ohm load and doubled cone area makes it much easier to drive than the Big One (~6dB greater voltage sensitivity) whilst the rolled off highs make amp clipping much less obvious so you can get away with even less power because you won't hear bad noises when you run out of juice.

If you currently use two top quality 4x10"s pushed with 600W (the max the best neo ones can handle before compressing/distorting in the lows) then one Dubster will match that SPL with 1100W. If you currently use two typical 1x15"s or a typical 2x15" the Dubster will be equally loud and fat with the same power but will handle ~four times as much power and thus go as loud as four conventional (but high quality) 15"s. However most reggae bassists will get plenty of output with a ~500W amp, even one of those tiny micro-amps. If you like HUGE deep sounds but are sick of moving a huge rig, then this is the solution.

Should weigh under 50lbs, will handle 900W all day long, LF peaks up to 2800W. Peak SPL of ~135dB @ 100Hz, can continuously sustain about 130dB. Price-wise, about the same as the Vintage.

NB: No treble at all. But lots of BASS!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='893590' date='Jul 13 2010, 11:59 AM']Interesting. Could make for an awesome miced up bass drum reinforcement too...[/quote]

Could be dangerously awesome! Between that and guitars through some Mesa Dual Rectifiers the bassist would be relegated to the Jason Newsted on 'And Justice For All' position of might as well have stayed at home... :)

Edited by alexclaber

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='893696' date='Jul 13 2010, 01:38 PM']This is a 2x15 big sub roughly then?[/quote]

Not really. Different alignment and design goals.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='893696' date='Jul 13 2010, 01:38 PM']Pair up nicely with a high passed driven guitar rig?[/quote]

Yes, I suspect it would. That's another niche then!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='893784' date='Jul 13 2010, 02:53 PM']Not really. Different alignment and design goals.

Yes, I suspect it would. That's another niche then![/quote]

Hmm, when are these due? Someone is interested in my GS412 which this could potentially replace.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='893552' date='Jul 13 2010, 11:25 AM']you're not going to be going below low B and many of you won't be going below low E.[/quote]

Is this part saying its not for ridiculous sub detuning contrabass action, more of a really beefy in the lows you hear for sensitivity purposes? The Big one/sub is still the one for mad low end, but will need the juice? Would this be totally awesome with my big valve Matamp Slave, which I am fairly sure was made to power an oldschool dub rig?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='894328' date='Jul 14 2010, 12:52 AM']Is this part saying its not for ridiculous sub detuning contrabass action, more of a really beefy in the lows you hear for sensitivity purposes? The Big one/sub is still the one for mad low end, but will need the juice? Would this be totally awesome with my big valve Matamp Slave, which I am fairly sure was made to power an oldschool dub rig?[/quote]

Yes, kind of, probably!

It'll handle super-detuned tone just fine, just as an 8x10" will, but it won't reproduce the lowest content as accurately as something designed explicitly to go lower. But if you're in a LOUD context and looking to run dirty+clean rigs or similar then a higher sensitivity cab that produces more bass in general at the expense of deep bass extension makes more sense.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='894479' date='Jul 14 2010, 10:13 AM']Yes, kind of, probably!

It'll handle super-detuned tone just fine, just as an 8x10" will, but it won't reproduce the lowest content as accurately as something designed explicitly to go lower. But if you're in a LOUD context and looking to run dirty+clean rigs or similar then a higher sensitivity cab that produces more bass in general at the expense of deep bass extension makes more sense.[/quote]

I've always found 8x10s to be rubbish, pretty much blame them for the clanky rubbish metal tone that is so prevalent. Comparative lows to Aguilar GS412?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='894616' date='Jul 14 2010, 12:41 PM']I've always found 8x10s to be rubbish, pretty much blame them for the clanky rubbish metal tone that is so prevalent. Comparative lows to Aguilar GS412?[/quote]

Same ballpark in terms of the sensitivity and roll off, though the GS412 should have the slight edge on one front or the other because it's bigger. Max LF SPL of the Dubster will be usefully higher.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...