Dear guest,

Welcome to the biggest community for bass players in Europe. You'll find the site a great source of information and advice.

Why not sign up now and:

• Say hello - tell us about your playing, your gear and where you're from.
  • Search the database for inspiration or to find out more about your instrument
  • Upload an avatar and profile picture
  • Buy one of the thousands of items in our marketplace
  • Safely sell your items to a community of proven enthusiasts
  • Upload pictures, audio and videos
  • Buy exclusive items at discount through our shop (coming soon!)

Go on, click the button and become part of it today!

Sign in to follow this  
Johnebass

Trying to understand the lingo? Acronyms explained!

[quote name='Neko' post='978035' date='Oct 5 2010, 09:03 AM']Be careful with W/E and WE - W/E is generally accepted as meaning weekend, where WE usually means whatever! Doesn't always follow but still :lol:[/quote]

I find it's all to do with context really. For example "have a good w/e" doesn't really say whatever.

[quote name='hamster']LJBF Let’s Just Be Friends[/quote]

I seriously hope no-one EVER breaks up with me like that :) certainly wouldn't think about being "friends" with them anymore! :) I just read through that whole post at the start of a 7 minute long iron maiden song and it finished just as i got to the end of it lol. Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='BobTheBassist' post='1054550' date='Dec 10 2010, 09:58 PM']I've seen ERB - Extended Range Bass refering to 5 or more strings.

But WTF is EUB? :)[/quote]
an electric erection.

u = upright.

[quote name='robocorpse' post='770813' date='Mar 10 2010, 07:21 PM']but has recently been appropriated by internet kiddies to mean "For Teh Win" (sic).[/quote]

What's with people writing 'teh' instead of 'the' lately? I don't get it?
I'm looking at you,Mrs T. :)

[quote name='BobTheBassist' post='1054550' date='Dec 10 2010, 09:58 PM']I've seen ERB - Extended Range Bass refering to 5 or more strings.

But WTF is EUB? :)[/quote]
I hate those acronyms. I think calling uprights URBs is the worst though.

I've found a few times that I've typed teh by accident when spellcheck isn't on auto. I think it's something to do with the way my fingers go if I'm typing fast (when I say fast, I mean fast for me).

[quote name='Stuee' post='1099235' date='Jan 23 2011, 12:12 AM']TIM, anyone?[/quote]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=111461&hl=Tim"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=111461&hl=Tim[/url]

Or more to the point - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=111461&view=findpost&p=1028460"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...t&p=1028460[/url] :) Edited by Musky

[quote name='HeavyJay' post='376220' date='Jan 10 2009, 04:54 PM']Cheers!

Welcome buddy!!

Reminds me of "there we are then"![/quote]

FTW is also a band called For The Weekend. Another few acronyms you may come across are Squier VM (Vintage Modified) or CV (Classic Vibe) and RW (Road Worn) may pop up every so often too. There are also many for Fenders diferent finishes, ie CAR (Candy Apple Red) but i'm not going through all of those, as there are quite a lot.

Liam

[quote name='muttley' post='1340436' date='Aug 15 2011, 11:02 AM']NBD = ?

New Bass Delivered?

TIA :).[/quote]

New bass day :)

[quote name='yorick' post='1340484' date='Aug 15 2011, 11:22 AM']New bass day :)[/quote]

Cheers, thanks. Makes sense now.

[quote name='Leemarc Ferguson' timestamp='1321543968' post='1440448']
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum. My name is Lee Ferguson been playing the bass for over 20 years now. Im a full time musician and teacher.

Look forward to chatting with you all
[/quote]
You'll need a TLA for this thread.

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1327328166' post='1509340']
If there's a definition of "pwn" here I haven't seen it. Is it rude?
[/quote]
It's a deliberate mistyping of 'own', so 'pwned' means 'owned' in the sense of defeated.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1327339285' post='1509592']
It's a deliberate mistyping of 'own', so 'pwned' means 'owned' in the sense of defeated.
[/quote]

Just to clarify: [b]pwned [/b]On the qwerty keyboard the 'O' being next to the 'P' sometimes get misstyped thus. [i]pwned[/i] instead of owned

1. The origins of "pwned" are debated but there are two possible sources:
a. A prominent quake player mis spelled "owned" and the new word "pwned" was adopted by people who thought it was "1337".
b. A warcraft map designer misspelled "[url="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=owned"]owned[/url]" and thus people started using "pwned" instead.

It hasnt been around that long. I can remember seeing it for the first time maybe 12 years ago. Edited by daz

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1328042284' post='1520886']
What's GAS? Seems like everyone around here has a "GAS list."
[/quote]
Gear Acquisition Syndrome. ;)