Why become a member? ×

Wiring diagram for stacked Vol/tone x 2

Beedster

Help
I put my Precision/Jazz in to have stacked volume/tone on each PUP and it has come back with both volume controls working as master volumes! The tech says he followed the wiring diagram in his book to the letter which he seems to have done. However, I've taken a look and the wiring diagrame in question doesn't look right to me. Has anyone got one that they know works I could take in and compare?
Many thanks
Chris

[quote name='Buzz' post='98324' date='Dec 3 2007, 06:39 PM']Tried Seymore duncan's website?[/quote]

Hi, yes I have, I've tried a lot of websites. I suspect that stcked pots might work a little differently to the same combination of discrete pots, that is stacked Volume/Tone for 2 PUPs might require different wiring to seperate Volume Tone for 2 PUPs?
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='98576' date='Dec 4 2007, 05:26 AM']Hi, yes I have, I've tried a lot of websites. I suspect that stcked pots might work a little differently to the same combination of discrete pots, that is stacked Volume/Tone for 2 PUPs might require different wiring to seperate Volume Tone for 2 PUPs?
Chris[/quote]

[disclaimer] I know VERY little about electrics [/disclaimer] But...

I reckon you could get it all to work by wiring both wires from each P/U to their respective stacks, perhaps tone first, to stop it being influenced by having the volume pot before it in the signal path.

So;

Pick-up >>> Tone >>> Volume >>> Output jack.

Try this for both pots, and the only point at which wires from one meet the other is at the output jack, certainly in the case of the "Hot" wires, at any rate. Try also joining the cold wires together here, too (plus the bridge earth)
If the pot shells need earthing, do it straight to the cold side of the output jack- independently of the signal earth.

More wiring, but it [i]might[/i] work!

I want to go to 2V,2T on my Squier 70's VMJ, but I just haven't got the time at the moment!

Chris

I think [url="http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0190209C/SD0190209CPg2.pdf"]this diagram[/url] is what you are looking for. It used to be public on the Fender web site but seems to have been removed since I printed my copy. When I was building mine I found another version which had 220K mixing resistors on the output side of each pot. It's a useful addition as it should prevent any interaction between the pick-ups.

[quote name='obbm' post='98981' date='Dec 4 2007, 05:06 PM']Chris

I think [url="http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0190209C/SD0190209CPg2.pdf"]this diagram[/url] is what you are looking for. It used to be public on the Fender web site but seems to have been removed since I printed my copy. When I was building mine I found another version which had 220K mixing resistors on the output side of each pot. It's a useful addition as it should prevent any interaction between the pick-ups.[/quote]

The problem with the mixing resistors is that unless you use a very short cable, or one with very low capacitance, they will take a lot of top end off. In othr words, it'll always sound as if both volume controls are at half. Unless you put a preamp between them and the jack...

I'd agree on the mixing resistors - I used that version on a recent "old jazz" project and it does cost you a bit of output (but the two stack pots don't react to each other at all, which is the point). With the same pickups I lost a noticable chunk of power, and it also makes the single coil hum seem more problematic..but I could be imagining that bit!

BB

Hi all
Many many thanks for the advice above. I've just printed this thread and passed it on to the tech. OBBM, I think the '62 diagrame should do the trick as it seems somewhat different to what the tech had done. 99ster, if yoiur diagram is different to OBBM's, could you let me know where the difference lies? Lfalex - love the disclaimer - not sure whether vol cam before tone or vice-versa but I'll check it out
Chris