Why become a member? ×

SGC Nanyo Bass collection

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140423473528&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

Hello. I have just purchased this bass (Click on link above)
I Have paid £90 for it + postage
Have I got a bargain? The vendor assures me it is a genuine SGC NANYO SB-301 BASS COLLECTION
made in Japan with Gotoh tuners.
Can anyone give me any info on this bass? price when new, how to tell how old it is
body material or any other info would be greatly appreciated.
I remember playing one of these when I purchased my Status 2000 early 90s
and remember how easily it felt to play so for £90 I could not let it get away.
I hope this topic is in the right place.
Ta
Ian. :)

The SGC Nanyo stuff goes for absolute peanuts on eBay considering how good they are - I think any of their basses for less than a ton is money very well spent. They're lightweight, balance well and have very slim, comfortable necks - they'll do any kind of music with ease, although IMO the look of them doesn't fit some genres.

I bought my SC441 in the late-90s for about four hundred quid, and the 301 was the 'budget' model at the time - that one definitely looks like it's got the slightly more steamlined body contours of the late-90s models as opposed to the oh-so-slightly more chunky-looking curves that came a few years after. I'm only guessing, but I think it's probably about ten years old, and for that price it'll do you great as long as you get on with the skinny neck! Certainly pisses all over anything you'd buy new for a hundred notes...

EDIT: as far as I know the serial number should be either in the neck pocket or on a sticker on the inside of the control cavity cover, and I believe that the bass player from Muse is a fan of them; the body wood, IIRC, will be either poplar or basswood, hence the light weight.

There's precious little about these on t'interweb, but someone here (I'll look it up and edit again in a minute) managed to identify mine after I'd totally forgotten the model number so there's some expertise 'round this very forum!

Edited by Ian Savage

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='886497' date='Jul 5 2010, 05:30 PM']The SGC Nanyo stuff goes for absolute peanuts on eBay considering how good they are - I think any of their basses for less than a ton is money very well spent. They're lightweight, balance well and have very slim, comfortable necks - they'll do any kind of music with ease, although IMO the look of them doesn't fit some genres.

I bought my SC441 in the late-90s for about four hundred quid, and the 301 was the 'budget' model at the time - that one definitely looks like it's got the slightly more steamlined body contours of the late-90s models as opposed to the oh-so-slightly more chunky-looking curves that came a few years after. I'm only guessing, but I think it's probably about ten years old, and for that price it'll do you great as long as you get on with the skinny neck! Certainly pisses all over anything you'd buy new for a hundred notes...[/quote]

I have one of these basses, i think the exact same model as yours (mine is passive) and although i only play five strings now i won't be letting mine go anywhere as they come fitted with reasonable quality hardwear and are light and comfortable to play. I'm thinking about upgrading the preamp to an active one to improve it more. I seem to remember there being a thread on here somewhere about these basses.

[quote name='TheRev' post='886794' date='Jul 5 2010, 10:47 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=697&hl=Nanyo"]Basschat official SGC Nanyo Bass Collection discussion thread.[/url]

These are great basses and very under priced at the moment.[/quote]

Hey thanks for the link. Some interesting reading and facts.
Bass arrives tomorrow. In one piece hopefully. :)

Edited by blunderthumbs