Why become a member? ×

Chris Squire Electra Evolution

xilddx

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1001009' date='Oct 26 2010, 12:33 PM']Excellent![/quote]
The bass may be finished tonight!

I can't believe I started this nearly FOUR months ago. The project was ostensibly quite a simple one, but I really appreciate the effort that goes into a one-off build now.

[quote name='silddx' post='1001100' date='Oct 26 2010, 01:40 PM']The bass may be finished tonight!

I can't believe I started this nearly FOUR months ago. The project was ostensibly quite a simple one, but I really appreciate the effort that goes into a one-off build now.[/quote]

I know what you mean, I've been on my project bass for a couple of months and it's amazing how long it takes to get things moving!

[quote name='silddx' post='1001100' date='Oct 26 2010, 01:40 PM']The bass may be finished tonight!

I can't believe I started this nearly FOUR months ago. The project was ostensibly quite a simple one, but I really appreciate the effort that goes into a one-off build now.[/quote]

+1. It really makes you appreciate just how tough it is!

All assembled apart from connecting the electronics, I'm a little confused because I am not convinced the usual black and white, hot and cold wires (as in John East's diagrams) are the same in the MECs, could be red white and I have no way of testing them, although I could compare with the wiring in my other Warwicks.

Also, a real pisser is that the E string guide on the Hipshot has gone missing, I know how, but I've probably hoovered the bastard up a month ago. I am going to have to Pray Hipshot can sell me a replacement. Facking bummer. Nevermind, I had all sort of little problems with this build so one or two more ain't so bad. Anyway, you can see exactly what it looks like for real now in the pics below.

I have to say, I am absolutely delighted with how it looks, the proportions are right, sleek lines, love the pickup and controls layout, the pickguard (Jon's done a superb job!) and the balance is totally spot on! I am absolutely delighted!! Thanks for all your help and supp0rt everyone :)

Thanks for the very kind words everyone! I am so happy with it's looks :)

[quote name='FlatEric' post='1002019' date='Oct 27 2010, 08:41 AM']Top job!!!

I have been looking at this for some time and it was great watching it come together.

Looks terrific - Look forward to a full review on playability and sounds.

Cheers. :)[/quote]

Thank you!

I will do a YT vid and some proper sound clips and write an honest review of my own build as soon as I've got it all sorted :lol:

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1002045' date='Oct 27 2010, 09:11 AM']Looks better than the one it was based on too.[/quote]

Awwhh, not sure about that!

I'm sure no offence was intended but I am very fond of mine and is a truly great example
of Japanese craftsmanship. :)

I don't have any pics of it, at the mo' but will get some sorted, as a visual contrast.

I think The Tribute is a cracker but the original has a lot going for it.

Mr Squire must have thought so, at some point :lol:

Cheers. :)

[quote name='FlatEric' post='1002935' date='Oct 27 2010, 07:56 PM']Awwhh, not sure about that!

I'm sure no offence was intended but I am very fond of mine and is a truly great example
of Japanese craftsmanship. :lol:

I don't have any pics of it, at the mo' but will get some sorted, as a visual contrast.

[b]Mr Squire must have thought so, at some point :)[/b]

Until he chopped it up :)

Anyway, both look great, but I must admit, mine feels like an evolution from it in a few ways. But then again there is much beauty in the originals.

Cheers for all your lovely comments, I really am proud of this bass.

BTW, got the leccy sorted tonight, apart from the odd ground crackle which needs sorting, the bass pisses all over my Warwick in terms of tone, the East U-Retro is incredible!!

That actually looks way better than I thought it was going to!!
Top job!

As for the Hipshot part, they used* to be really good. They sent me a replacement D-Tuner lever for free as it has worn away, over the 15 years I'd had it.

* that was a couple of years back, so they might have changed.

EDIT: Just read the Hipshot email post. So they are still good!
:)

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='FlatEric' post='1002935' date='Oct 27 2010, 07:56 PM']Awwhh, not sure about that!

of Japanese craftsmanship. :)

Mr Squire must have thought so, at some point :lol:

To a heathen like me that is. I don't even know who this Squire bloke is. Was he in Buggles?

I had a a few requests for build costs so here they are. I'll post a review and sound cips / YT vid whe I have the missing Hipshot bridge part and I've fully set up the bass and balanced the preamp.

£35 : POSTAGE COSTS - for parts (I was not charged duty on anything from the USA! Lucky that :))
£100 : BODY - [i]Mahogany. Made by my mate Adam (Trebuchet on here). [/i]
£65 : BODY FINISHING : Tonetech Luthier Supplies Oly White pre-cat Nitro rattle cans x 3, sheets of wet and dry, milliput, tack rag.
£90 : NECK - [i]3-piece Maple/Rosewood. From a Warwick Rockbass Streamer Blackhawk B-stock starter kit for £260. I sold the amp and other hardware and kept the neck and the MEC pickups so I made about £130 back.[/i]
£26 : NECK INLAYS - Creative Cuts Roman Numeral Vinyl.
£40 : PICKUPS - MEC from the Rockbass Streamer Blackhawk.
£90 : TUNERS - x 4 Hipshot Ultralite GB7 Gold (from USA on Ebay).
£45 : D-TUNER - Hipshot GB7 Gold (from USA on Ebay).
£90 : BRIDGE - Hipshot Black Brass Rickenbacker Replacement (from USA on Ebay).
£73 : PICKGUARD - Mirror blank from WD (£28). Made by Jon Shuker (£45).
£89 : TOP NUT - Warwick Brass JAN-III
£8 : NECK SCREWS & BUSHINGS - Gold- From Warwick in Germany.
£9 : BARREL JACK - Gold- From Warwick in Germany.
£20 : STRAPLOCKS - Gold- From Warwick in Germany.
£215 : EAST PREAMP - U-Retro 4-knob Gold. This is a new product and not on his site yet. It's basically the 5 knob U-retro with the Blend and Volume as a stack.
£25 : STRINGS - DR Black Beauties 105 - 45 (from USA on Ebay).

£1,020 : TOTAL BUILD COST (A f*** of a lot more than I intended, but worth it!)

Initially, this build was going to be about £500, but as time went on I realised I wanted the best. Where I could have cut costs is using a cheaper bridge, used the existing Warwick tuners, top nut, straplocks, neck screws and bushings, and electronics.

Edited by silddx