Why become a member? ×

Elle Goulding

Linus27

I cant beleive im having to defend x factor but how many people that slag it off actually watch it? I have made this point already but none of the contestants left in have been going for the Mariah thing this year most of the critisism comes from people who have a pole up their arse about pop music and simon cowell.

I still dont see the connection with Ellie either except they are all in the main stream arena. I like Ellie and some x factor contestants, I dont like simon cowell or jedward but I live with these things without worrying too much :)

[quote name='agoulding' post='1052486' date='Dec 9 2010, 10:13 AM']Would you walk around an art studio or gallery saying "thats sh*t, thats sh*t"?[/quote]
I might have that opinion if I walked into an art gallery & what I saw were ineptly-rendered copies of other artists' well-known work.

The cover of Your Song is my first - and so far only - exposure to any of Ellie's work. Because of the nature of the medium (background music for a shop's Xmas advert) an awful lot of people will be hearing Ellie for the first time, and making judgements about her & her music based solely upon her performance of that song. Many of them - like me - will feel no motivation to go out of their way to listen to anything else she's done.

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

BBC Radio one and two have played all her singles at peak times so for many people the EJ cover is far from their first exposure! How many million listeners is that alone without every other radio station/music channel possible too?

Here is some good advice, Ellie is in the Radio 1 live lounge tomorrow Im looking forward to it for a start and before anyone goes on about cover versions that has become a big part of that show to see who does what and how they make it different. Check out the Arctic monkeys cover of girls alouds love machine for genuine band meets cowell pop and just how good it can be!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1053207' date='Dec 9 2010, 06:54 PM']BBC Radio one and two have played all her singles at peak times so for many people the EJ cover is far from their first exposure! How many million listeners is that alone without every other radio station/music channel possible too?

Here is some good advice, Ellie is in the Radio 1 live lounge tomorrow Im looking forward to it for a start and before anyone goes on about cover versions that has become a big part of that show to see who does what and how they make it different. Check out the Arctic monkeys cover of girls alouds love machine for genuine band meets cowell pop and just how good it can be![/quote]
Are you suggesting that the majority of people likely to hear the commercial featuring her cover song will already be familiar with her music?

Forgive me if I choose to ignore your advice to seek out music I have no interest in by artists I already don't enjoy. :)

J.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1053101' date='Dec 9 2010, 05:34 PM']I cant beleive im having to defend x factor but how many people that slag it off actually watch it? I have made this point already but none of the contestants left in have been going for the Mariah thing this year most of the critisism comes from people who have a pole up their arse about pop music and simon cowell.

I still dont see the connection with Ellie either except they are all in the main stream arena. I like Ellie and some x factor contestants, I dont like simon cowell or jedward but I live with these things without worrying too much :)[/quote]

Well I guess if I'm going to judge X Factor by the few bits that have come out of it and onto general radio play then you are entitled to judge me as a person with a pole up my arse (not now Lech) about pop music.

OK if I've lumped all the shows together but we have Alexandra Burke, who in my opinion made one of the worst cover versions ever, SuBo with that warbling vibrato who was probably quite good when she belted out a song in her local but not much more, Girls Aloud, that second rate tenor, don't really make for a glowing report card for this unashamed pop music fan.

[quote name='Sibob' post='1053242' date='Dec 9 2010, 07:28 PM']"Always listen to music you don't like, you might learn something"........can't remember who said that, but quite true I think.

Si[/quote]
This is absolutely true; I have and I did.

I learned that I did not like it. :)

J.

[quote name='Sibob' post='1053242' date='Dec 9 2010, 07:28 PM']"Always listen to music you don't like, you might learn something"........can't remember who said that, but quite true I think.

Si[/quote]

Janek Gwizdala is a great believer in this.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1053276' date='Dec 9 2010, 07:59 PM']OK if I've lumped all the shows together but we have Alexandra Burke, who in my opinion made one of the worst cover versions ever, SuBo with that warbling vibrato who was probably quite good when she belted out a song in her local but not much more, Girls Aloud, that second rate tenor, don't really make for a glowing report card for this unashamed pop music fan.[/quote]

SuBo was the other show... Sorry.

Although I hold the same opinions.
I do enjoy a bit if JLS while at work and I am known to have downloaded a few Leona Lewis tracks. This yeah I don't think there is anyone quite as good as Leona Lewis.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1053101' date='Dec 9 2010, 05:34 PM']I still dont see the connection with Ellie...[/quote]

Ellie is going to be/has writing songs for Cheryl Cole according to the internet bumpf. There's my connection with Ellie to X Factor.

Have to say, went to Ellie's concert in Brum and thoroughly enjoyed it :)

[quote name='Sibob' post='1053242' date='Dec 9 2010, 07:28 PM']"Always listen to music you don't like, you might learn something"........can't remember who said that, but quite true I think.[/quote]

[quote name='Mike' post='1053299' date='Dec 9 2010, 08:12 PM']Janek Gwizdala is a great believer in this.[/quote]

Maybe its the only reason people buy his albums?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1053441' date='Dec 9 2010, 10:11 PM']I suppose Im flogging a dead horse here then?, I will direct those who dont like her to sibobs post earlier about those who dont like it being free to leave........

Im looking forward to Ellie tomorrow in the live lounge :)[/quote]
I detect a catastrophic failure of communication happening here. Well, whatever.

J.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1053446' date='Dec 9 2010, 10:17 PM']Ellie is going to be/has writing songs for Cheryl Cole according to the internet bumpf. There's my connection with Ellie to X Factor.[/quote]

Thats going to be a interesting thread. Seeing as how the whole X factor/judges etc are all hated by many on here.

All a bit of a storm in a tea cup really.

Lets face it Ellie Goulding even wouldn't be on most of BassChat's members' radar, and this thread wouldn't even exist, if it wasn't for the fact that her brother is member here.

She's a pleasant enough singer/songwriter - there are plenty better IMO, and also plenty worse.

I thinks it's unfortunate for her that her record company have decided to release her rather uninspiring cover of "Your Song" as a single and it's gone on to do better than any of her original compositions. It probably works quite well in the context of the John Lewis ad, but as a single it simply highlights the superiority of the original, and I don't think that having your biggest hit with a cover is a smart move when you're trying to make a name for yourself as a songwriter.

Still I hope she makes some money from it (although it won't be as much as Elton John and Bernie Taupin) and can go on a produce something a bit more original...

And I wouldn't get all worked up about those of us here who aren't impressed by what we've heard from her. If one person here has bought one of her CDs or downloads as a result of reading of reading this thread then it's a result. I wouldn't say no to this kind of publicity for any of my musical ventures!

FWIW when I listened to Ellie a while back I could hear the auto-tuning a mile away - at least with the X Factor they haven't used that on any of the bits I've watched recently - which I'm really pleased about as it let's the truly good performances stand out - and if anything adds a little humanity to the whole sorry farce that show really is - I like a few out of tune notes as it goes - if they're performed well :)

M

Well I listened in on Ellie in the live lounge and thought it was pretty good. Its not going to set the world on fire but I dont think she is intending too. Theres lots of dull bands out there that people rave about ie Cold play,snow patrol,keane etc etc etc, So im not sure why she has to be trying to be the next massive artist plus whats all this making it big about, Who else here has been on the live lounge twice?

You can give her a thumbs up from me agoulding and my mate says can you give her his phone number? (I wouldnt though he is a right ugly bastard! :))

I must say I quite liked her earlier stuff but the cover of Your song doesnt do anything for me at all.I think its because I really like the Moulan Rouge version with Ewen and t'other bird which is really powerful and full of performance, whilst Ellie's is pretty laid back.
I just think that song needs more pomp, and she just kinda whispers her way through it. That said, she can obviously sing and has worked hard to get where she is, so good luck to her.