Why become a member? ×

Elle Goulding

Linus27

It strikes me as quite silly that on the one hand we have people slagging off X factor for some reason yet they are all in favour of Elle doing a cover version. Whats the difference?

And even on the FB page Michael posted its saying lets keep the reality stars off the number one spot....what, with another singer just doing a cover?

Im in no way criticising the music, just the attitude.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1051547' date='Dec 8 2010, 12:05 PM']And I'd really like to have explained to me exactly how the chart success of a department-store advert tune functions as an indicator of any kind of quality or talent. Or indeed why I should show "respect" - whatever that is - to those who purvey such things.

Jon.[/quote]

Me too....if she can't handle, or her brother can't handle her getting slagged off, then she and he are in the wrong business...i stand by my first opinion and not because i dislike Elton John, his early work is pretty damn good...this cover is not.

So where's the evidence "your song" was made for John lewis? I'd like to know. Could we forget about that for one minute and talk about the music, which is what matters? "your song" is featured on the re-release of Ellies album. Wether people like it or not is up to them, tbh I dont like any of my sisters stuff, pop music gets on my dairy pillows. Im trying defend music as a whole, as it is an art and a form of expression which is exploited by douchebags behind big desks and slugs hanging of their penises. Would you walk around an art studio or gallery saying "thats sh*t, thats sh*t"? Sure, i could post this on any forum debating about any artist, I would say the same without a doubt.
Apperently i cant take cricisim, how am i getting criticism? I dont think at anypoint I've said I'm going to find you all and beat you up because you've been nasty to my sister!
Who knows what the situation behind "your song" was/is (i suppose i could ask her but thats cheating), my opinion on it is, that it's a nice bloody song! 'bout time she left out some of that tedious synth wobble!

I think Ellie has done extremely well. I am not a fan of usual pop, but she does put a different slant on it, and its clear she is a good musician and vocalist.

Id quite happily play pop, and I think anyone who wouldnt if its their actual career (eg payment for enjoying yourself!) is probably jealous of her position.

I think we should all be polite and respect the fact her brother is a fellow bassist.

IMO, she is nothing like the X-Factor contestants.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='agoulding' post='1052486' date='Dec 9 2010, 10:13 AM']Wether people like it or not is up to them[/quote]

No, no, no,your forgetting the BC golden rule (only followed by some of course, although the numbers are growing) that states whatever you post is set in stone, and no one should even try to argue with you because they are obviously wrong.
It gets you nowhere talking about music on here.

:)

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='silddx' post='1051487' date='Dec 8 2010, 11:22 AM']Now she is quite famous and in the papers and the magazines, it seems people think it's acceptable for them to say unkind things about her. So bloody British, eh? God help us if any BCers make the big time.[/quote]

Its IS British, I agree.

My opinion on the cover? I dont like Elton John's music, and I never will. Something about it that just doesn't work for me. But thats fine, because I accept he is an incredibly talented artist!

I prefer Ellie's originals, but we can't like everything by every artist.

Even my guitarist who absolutely loves much heavier and faster music thinks Ellie's album is great.

[quote name='wesfinn' post='1051563' date='Dec 8 2010, 12:15 PM']I think Ellie's version is really nice. Embrace the pop![/quote]

+1
People tend to shoot-down what they perceive to be 'Sell-outs' without ever having been in a similar position nor knowing the intimate details.....oh well :).
Also, was Ellie's cover done FOR the supermarket, or simply covered by Ellie and licensed early by them?....does anyone know?, probably not :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='1052523' date='Dec 9 2010, 10:45 AM']+1
People tend to shoot-down what they perceive to be 'Sell-outs' without ever having been in a similar position nor knowing the intimate details.....oh well :).
Also, was Ellie's cover done FOR the supermarket, or simply covered by Ellie and licensed early by them?....does anyone know?, probably not :)

Si[/quote]
All I know is my boss got the album based on that one song.

I think she's cracking. And am listening to her lovely album right now. I may even listen to it twice.
Not entirely sure where some of the comparisons to X-Factor come in. Just because an artist does a cover version doesn't make them an X-Factro contestant, if that were the case then most of the bands we hail on here would be on the show, oh and a lot of us.

To write her off as crap is quite frankly juvenile and ridiculous. I don't much like a lot of what Elton John ever did but I wouldn't be so stupid to describe him as rubbish.

A lot of the criticism specifically on here sounds like the sour grapes of weekend wannabes who are still riled they never made it.

I point you to Scroobius Pip

"Thou shalt not take the names of Johnny Cash, Joe Strummer, Johnny Hartman, Desmond Decker, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix or Syd Barret in vain.
Thou shalt not think that any male over the age of 30 that plays with a child that is not their own is a peadophile... Some people are just nice.
Thou shalt not read NME.
[b]Thou shalt not stop liking a band just because they've become popular.[/b]
Thou shalt not question Stephen Fry."

[quote name='JTUK' post='1052678' date='Dec 9 2010, 01:11 PM']I can certainly watch EJ's live shows..his band is normally more than decent and mostly been with him for years. I think the arrangments can be a bit..well...chummy.. but the sheer back catologue is there and he is a very good performer, IMV.[/quote]

I watched my first EJ show a few weeks ago on TV (live from St Lukes, literally at the top of my road ) and found it pretty good. I'm not a great lover of EJ but his band were spot on and the bass player had a lovely SR5 with a very nice tone.

I do like Your song (and have played it as a first dance twice) but didnt think Ellie's version was particularly inspiring.

Edited by dave_bass5

Wasn't going to get sucked in here, but these comparisons to X Factor have tipped the balance. I like Elton, I like Ellie, don't like this version of this song, but to compare it to X Factor contestants from what I've heard of them is frankly deranged. All the female singers off there seem to be programmed to overblow everything - straight out of the Mariah (but with less talent) Carey Diva Finishing School. Remember Hallelujah? That most sensitive, wrought ballad turned into a lung function test? Now that's a cover to which Ellie would do justice.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1052700' date='Dec 9 2010, 01:27 PM']All the female singers off there seem to be programmed to overblow everything -[/quote]

Exactly, they are told how and what to sing by the Judges. This doesn't mean they cant sing or dont have talent IMO.

I thought Ellie's timing and some notes were off but people will forgive that because she hasnt been on X Factor.

Its all nonsense.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1052720' date='Dec 9 2010, 01:35 PM']Exactly, they are told how and what to sing by the Judges. This doesn't mean they cant sing or dont have talent IMO.

I thought Ellie's timing and some notes were off but people will forgive that because she hasnt been on X Factor.

Its all nonsense.[/quote]

Sorry, don't agree, I think this is what the average karaoke wannabe on X-Factor and all the punters buying into it think is what passes for good singing.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1052744' date='Dec 9 2010, 01:50 PM']Sorry, don't agree, I think this is what the average karaoke wannabe on X-Factor and all the punters buying into it think is what passes for good singing.[/quote]

Maybe but i would rather listen to that drivel than any of those Thrash/death/Speed etc metal bands people rave over and whose singer just seem to shout in a very deep gruff voice with as much distortion as possible. I cant beleive how that can be called talent either but no one dares put that garbage down on here.

It takes all sorts.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1052770' date='Dec 9 2010, 02:04 PM']Maybe but i would rather listen to that drivel than any of those Thrash/death/Speed etc metal bands people rave over and whose singer just seem to shout in a very deep gruff voice with as much distortion as possible. I cant beleive how that can be called talent either but no one dares put that garbage down on here.

It takes all sorts.[/quote]

Now I will agree with you on that one! Plus the fact that some of that type of music is as equally manufactured as any of Simon Cowell's stable.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1052784' date='Dec 9 2010, 02:13 PM']Now I will agree with you on that one! Plus the fact that some of that type of music is as equally manufactured as any of Simon Cowell's stable.[/quote]

Agree, its all formula music IMO.

My first point was really more about some of the people that go on those sort of shows are already gigging, singer songwriters etc so until they get caught up in the whole media thing they might be just as good as people liek Ellie, but they take the easy route and become part of the machine, in the name of fame and fortune etc.