Why become a member? ×

Elle Goulding

Linus27

[quote name='wizbat' post='1046668' date='Dec 3 2010, 06:41 PM']Check out Vonda Shepherd.[/quote]

If I recall that name..she is the woman who sang on that Ally Mcbeal show..??
Sometimes I liked her...but she did have some weird pitching issues... which struck me as odd,
for a supposed seasoned old-timer.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1046671' date='Dec 3 2010, 06:43 PM']The sad truth is to some she is. A beatles song was on the radio today and the lad (Same ellie fan as earlier post) had no idea who they were, He is 20 years old and thinks it because of our age difference. Im 33 not 63![/quote]

I'm 21, I know who the Beatles are and I know that the reason she's as big as she is is down to good PR and gimmickry. Ironically both terms can be applied to the Beatles' early career, but the one word that can only be applied to the latter is 'talent'. The point being that audience size is indicative of very little in this case. Ellie Goulding is good (she's a friend of a friend), but only comparatively to the rest of what Radio One are calling music nowadays.

opinions are like arseholes ladies and gentlemen, everyone has one. If you're enjoying it, carry on. If you aren't, carry on. People who are saying my sisters version is bad (which is fine) clearly aren't taking into account its chart position.
Saying something is crap is an awful lot different to "i don't like it" which imho is slightly more respectable, to the people who put in alot of hard graft to make things happen.

opinions are like arseholes ladies and gentlemen, everyone has one. If you're enjoying it, carry on. If you aren't, carry on. People who are saying my sisters version is bad (which is fine) clearly aren't taking into account its chart position.
Saying something is crap is an awful lot different to "i don't like it" which imho is slightly more respectable, to the people who put in alot of hard graft to make things happen.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1051416' date='Dec 8 2010, 10:27 AM']I don't think I've heard Ellies track so I don't have an opinion on it but Mr Blobby's single spent three weeks at no 1 in 1993 & that was crap.[/quote]

yeah probobally for other reasons. the hamster song comes to mind also.

edit: you edited that nice and fast :). im not saying chart position makes a song good, im saying shes obviously doing something right! i think the song is, alright! better than her other stuff :)

Edited by agoulding

[quote name='agoulding' post='1051402' date='Dec 8 2010, 10:16 AM']opinions are like arseholes ladies and gentlemen, everyone has one. If you're enjoying it, carry on. If you aren't, carry on. People who are saying my sisters version is bad (which is fine) clearly aren't taking into account its chart position.
Saying something is crap is an awful lot different to "i don't like it" which imho is slightly more respectable, to the people who put in alot of hard graft to make things happen.[/quote]

This is a very good post, why rip someone to pieces just because your not a fan or dont like their style? like agoulding says, just say "i dont like it" and show a bit of respect. She gigs, plays and instrument and sings live which I have the upmost respect for.

Most of the bass players and bands mentioned on this forum are not my cup of tea, but I don't go into every thread and say so, why be negative? No one has been into the "show me your band" thread and ripped fellow bass chatters bands apart have they? I have seen constructive criticism on there but no horrible unjustified comments. Is it because they are around to defend themselves? If Ellie took up bass and started coming on here and asking for guidance and information would everyone be so quick to say unconstructive things about her in threads? who knows.

I for one think Ellie is really good, beautiful songs on the album, and a gentle and beautiful voice. Not every female singer has to belt it out like the big Diva's. Debbie Harry had a weak voice in my opinion but still good.

[quote name='NJE' post='1051438' date='Dec 8 2010, 10:45 AM']This is a very good post, why rip someone to pieces just because your not a fan or dont like their style? like agoulding says, just say "i dont like it" and show a bit of respect. She gigs, plays and instrument and sings live which I have the upmost respect for.

Most of the bass players and bands mentioned on this forum are not my cup of tea, but I don't go into every thread and say so, why be negative? No one has been into the "show me your band" thread and ripped fellow bass chatters bands apart have they? I have seen constructive criticism on there but no horrible unjustified comments. Is it because they are around to defend themselves? If Ellie took up bass and started coming on here and asking for guidance and information would everyone be so quick to say unconstructive things about her in threads? who knows.

I for one think Ellie is really good, beautiful songs on the album, and a gentle and beautiful voice. Not every female singer has to belt it out like the big Diva's. Debbie Harry had a weak voice in my opinion but still good.[/quote]
That's cool. Ellie can certainly belt it out though, I don't why people think she can't.

I'm still loving the album. There's real depth to it.

And what is weird, from hearing the fist video that agoulding posted about a year or so ago, and no-one I know having heard of Ellie, so many people I know have now heard of her, and quite a few have her album. Even my boss got it the other day!

Edited by silddx

I also find it quite funny that a very common British trait is clearly evidenced on BC in her rise to fame. About a year or so ago, when a respected BCer posts her sister's first music video, and a thread about her being in NME, all the comments in those threads were were kind and positive. She was relatively unknown.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58079&hl"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58079&hl[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=64426&hl"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=64426&hl[/url]

Now she is quite famous and in the papers and the magazines, it seems people think it's acceptable for them to say unkind things about her. So bloody British, eh? God help us if any BCers make the big time.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='1051487' date='Dec 8 2010, 11:22 AM']I also find it quite funny that a very common British trait is clearly evidenced on BC in her rise to fame. About a year or so ago, when a respected BCer posts her sister's first music video, and a thread about her being in NME, all the comments in those threads were were kind and positive. She was realively unknown.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58079&hl"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58079&hl[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=64426&hl"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=64426&hl[/url]

Now she is quite famous and in the papers and the magazines, it seems people think it's acceptable for them to say unkind things about her. So bloody British, eh? God help us if any BCers make the big time.[/quote]

It's always the same on this bloody forum...... anything popular is utter sh*te.....

[quote name='silddx' post='1051487' date='Dec 8 2010, 11:22 AM']I also find it quite funny that a very common British trait is clearly evidenced on BC in her rise to fame. About a year or so ago, when a respected BCer posts her sister's first music video, and a thread about her being in NME, all the comments in those threads were were kind and positive. She was realively unknown.[/quote]
I don't really know that much about her, but maybe back then she wasn't covering Elton John songs for Supermarkets?

Just a thought.. I've got nowt against the lass TBH. Her job is far more interesting than mine.

This is just the problem that always bugs me about the internet. If I see a post about a band/artist or genre that I don't like I can see no worth in just barrelling in and slagging them off for the sake of it, if I don't like it it's not worth my time commenting on it. If someone said "I like (insert band/artist)" what's your opinion then fine it's open house. What pissed me off was someone using this thread just to say they hate Elton John, well if you hate him why bother reading or watching a clip of someone doing one of his songs (that's if you actually bothered to look and didn't just see Your Song mentioned and thought I'll just go in and slag Elton off). Like I've said in a previous post the internet is a strange thing!

Oh yeah, Ellie is on Loose Women today 12.30pm. I'll be watching, I like her.............and Elton John :)

Edited by barneyg42

[quote name='crez5150' post='1051489' date='Dec 8 2010, 11:24 AM']It's always the same on this bloody forum...... anything popular is utter sh*te.....[/quote]
Weeeell now, "pop" music has no musical integrity, does it. Isn't it all done on computers and auto tune, miming and backing tracks, pretty people with no talent? What happened to people who could actually PLAY their instruments? Eh?

[color="#FF0000"][size=5][b]IT'S ALL SIMON COWELL'S FAULT I TELL THEE!![/b][/size][/color]

:) :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1051523' date='Dec 8 2010, 11:48 AM']Weeeell now, "pop" music has no musical integrity, does it. Isn't it all done on computers and auto tune, miming and backing tracks, pretty people with no talent? What happened to people who could actually PLAY their instruments? Eh?

[color="#FF0000"][size=5][b]IT'S ALL SIMON COWELL'S FAULT I TELL THEE!![/b][/size][/color]

:) :)[/quote]

:lol: :D

Its banter and opinions on the i-net

It would be pretty dull..or duller, if everyone said the same thing about everything but even worse if people didn't post at all
for risk of upsetting anyone.

I don't like the version but maybe her advisors think it is a good career move. we can pontificate about this and that but her actions now determine whether she has a career in 2 years time.
The idea is for the long haul and to get as big a catalogue behind you so you can trade on that and nostalgia 15 or 20 years down the line. It may be the pension fund or not..!!
Doing the odd show in a club is ok but it isn't a career and anything other than a bit of spare cash for most of us and I always say it is pretty hard work earning £30k from music, year in year out.

If this raises her profile to such an extent that she gets to career stage, then fine..if it stalls her rise and she bombs in a few years, there is noone else that has to live with that but that organisation.

Hence my comment about it being a tough call.

[quote name='silddx' post='1051453' date='Dec 8 2010, 10:51 AM']That's cool. Ellie can certainly belt it out though, I don't why people think she can't.[/quote]
In my case, it's purely because the only example of her music I have heard is a mumbling, whimpering cover of an already cheesy old song. It's unfortunate that this presumably gives an entirely wrong impression of what she's actually about as an artist, but on the whole, being the soundtrack to an ad campaign will tend to be detrimental to integrity & being taken seriously.

And I'd really like to have explained to me exactly how the chart success of a department-store advert tune functions as an indicator of any kind of quality or talent. Or indeed why I should show "respect" - whatever that is - to those who purvey such things.

Jon.

I like Elton and his music (Tiny Dancer is one of my favourite songs by anyone ever). I like a lot of what Ellie's done too. But this Your Song of hers just doesn't float my boat at all. Not saying it's crap. It's just really not my cup of leaf-infusion.