Why become a member? ×

Elle Goulding

Linus27

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1042846' date='Nov 30 2010, 08:03 PM']I totally agree with sild too what a dumb statement from TNIT! Just because someone comes through a certain channel they have no talent then?[/quote]

I never mentioned talent because talent is irrelevant, I f***ing hate Elton John songs and I don't care who is performing them I'm not listening.

How about you read what you're responding to before you contribute any more "dumb" statements of your own.

[quote name='silddx' post='1040562' date='Nov 28 2010, 10:49 PM']That's such an unfair and ignorant statement my friend. And suggests to the suggestible reader, that maybe you are unable to distinguish between those with real musicality and those who simply have a singing voice exploited by TV moguls. I'm pretty sad about that because I like you, respect you, and know you are better than making deliberately provocative statements without sensible foundation.[/quote]

All of this is correct and possibly put nicer than my dumb? But Correct all the same TNIT.

Hey at the end of the day it's a free world and we have free speech and are all entitled to our opinion. My only problem is that I resurrected this thread cos as I said I thought it was a good version and I like her voice, I quite like EJ stuff and what I've heard of Ellie I like. Now my gripe, if you don't like Elton John why bother with this thread and the latest posts? There are certain bands I don't like but don't find it useful in any way to make negative posts when I see the name pop up in a forum. Surely it's better to start an "I hate (insert band/artist) what do you think?" thread than just bung an "I hate!" comment in the middle of what I thought was a fairly positive thread! I dunno, I just find it strange, I guess it's just one of those things about the internet, you can't in any way legislate against it but I just find it annoying. It's almost as if some people just look for threads with their pet hates in them just to make negative comments which will rile people who are just trying to be positive about something.
Like I said, strange!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1042935' date='Nov 30 2010, 08:53 PM']No on this one I stand by my original on this one! To not listen to a song because of who wrote the original is musically totally ignorant. End of Im not going get pulled in, Thats my stance on your post to me its still a dumb post.[/quote]

You'd imagine that I'm fairly unfamiliar with this famous piece of mawkish Elton John tripe, or that the covering singer has done something especially novel with it that I might change my long-established opinion of what an awful song it is?

I assert once more that it is in fact your posts that are dumb.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1042940' date='Nov 30 2010, 08:55 PM']All of this is correct and possibly put nicer than my dumb? But Correct all the same TNIT.[/quote]

I suppose Nigel didn't feel like expanding on what he has said but I am not going to worry about what my posts might "suggest to the suggestible", especially posts I make in very plain language, the thrust of which is frankly obvious and contain no hint of subtext whatsoever.

Edited by thisnameistaken

TNIT, you're pretty much coming off as repressed. Perhaps it might not be such a bad idea to open your mind a little.

I usually listen to Metal, but i pretty much like a little bit of everything. Elton John included, and i refuse to believe that someone can hate every song in a repetoire of an artist as diverse as he is, without there being some kind of prejudicial foundation. I depise Lady Gaga, i think shes everything i hate about celebrity tbh, but for me to say i will absoultely hate every song she's ever gonna write, would be childish, and i'd only be lying to myself and everyone else.

Ellie Goulding has a good voice, is a decent song writer, and as stated before, a multi instrumentalist, for which she has my respect. Im not gonna run out and buy her albums any time soon though.

[quote name='silddx' post='1040173' date='Nov 28 2010, 05:49 PM']She's great!

May I ask why you mention Gaga? Have you put them both in the same basket perhaps? They are like chalk and cheese, incomparable. You may as well say you prefer free range eggs to oak floorboards.

Gaga works extremely hard too you know, there is a human being under there, working just as hard as Ellie, and oak floorboards.

Just thought I would point that out :)[/quote]

Sorry but if you go back and read my statement I simply expressed my preference I didn't belate Gaga, even thought I believe that she is 40% talent and 60% PR. If that is the way she made it more power to her, but I find that Ellie doesn't rely on gimmicks or pandering to achieve what she has achieved, that's why made the "honest pop" reference.

I don't know why all of you got so worked out about that!

[quote]I don't know her personally but to be honest I prefer her music to Lady Gaga's. She looks like a young lass working her butt off to make it.

I like "Guns & Horses" it sounds like good honest pop.[/quote]

[quote name='TomTom' post='1042975' date='Nov 30 2010, 09:16 PM']TNIT, you're pretty much coming off as repressed. Perhaps it might not be such a bad idea to open your mind a little.

I usually listen to Metal, but i pretty much like a little bit of everything. Elton John included, and i refuse to believe that someone can hate every song in a repetoire of an artist as diverse as he is, without there being some kind of prejudicial foundation.[/quote]

Yeah I hate metal as well, can't stand most of it. Maybe metal and Elton John have more musically in common than you realise.

Off the top of my head I can't think of an Elton John song I like and I am not going to go through the frustration of trying to think of one, because it will mean thinking of all the ones that are infuriatingly awful.

Anyway why can't people just accept that I hate Elton John records and have done with it? Some of you are reacting like I just bummed your mum or something.

TNIT I cant see any evidence of my posts in this thread being dumb? You are coming across as a closed minded person although as I have seen in other threads its not unlike you just to ruffle a few feathers just for the sake of it. :)

Hating any kind of music is never good for us as musicians, Can anyone think of a type of music that does not have elements that are enjoyable to someone? Or has no styles or transferable techniques that can become the next new sound? I wonder what people thought the first time someone distorted a guitar? I bet some people maybe like TNIT would not of listened to anything that had even a hint of a raunchy Gibson lurking.

I dont like Elton John records either FWIW but I 100% wouldnt blankly shut out a new version just because he wrote it. (Lion king soundtrack rocks though!) Im not keen on classical music but to use words like "hate" just sounds like something a 13 year old would say.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1042960' date='Nov 30 2010, 09:04 PM']I assert once more that it is in fact your posts that are dumb.

very plain language, the thrust of which is frankly obvious and contain no hint of subtext whatsoever.[/quote]

Yep you sure have, Would you accept an appology for dumb and swap it for a plain old Ignorant?

If we could all CTFO that'd be lovely!

Perhaps it would be prudent for those who don't have an appreciation for Ellie to leave (seeing as it was started with love and not hate), and start a positive thread about an artist they enjoy.....much more fun than arguing the toss and being negative!

Si

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1043057' date='Nov 30 2010, 10:16 PM']You are coming across as a closed minded person[/quote]

You seem to be determined to make some point or other but you haven't figured out what it is yet. I might just leave you to it.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1043057' date='Nov 30 2010, 10:16 PM']although as I have seen in other threads its not unlike you just to ruffle a few feathers just for the sake of it. :)[/quote]

I genuinely don't do that. I know it looks like that but I don't. I just often have a different opinion about stuff. I don't expect anyone will believe me or give a toss but that's the truth. Some people just assume that if someone disagrees with them, then that person must be trying to wind them up. I suppose those people must be quite conceited.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1043057' date='Nov 30 2010, 10:16 PM']Hating any kind of music is never good for us as musicians, Can anyone think of a type of music that does not have elements that are enjoyable to someone?[/quote]

I've never denied that Elton John's songs have elements which are enjoyable to "some people". All I said was that I hate them. And I don't think it can be bad for me as a musician to experience strong emotions about something; if Elton John had felt anything other than indulgently sentimental about everything he ever encountered in his life then maybe he wouldn't have ended up with a catalogue of such thoroughly sh*t songs.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1043057' date='Nov 30 2010, 10:16 PM']I wonder what people thought the first time someone distorted a guitar? I bet some people maybe like TNIT would not of listened to anything that had even a hint of a raunchy Gibson lurking.[/quote]

Yeah. Because Elton John is a pioneer isn't he. He's famous for constantly pushing the boundaries of pop music, but people like me just aren't switched on enough to appreciate it.

Look up 'straw man'.

[quote name='Sibob' post='1043081' date='Nov 30 2010, 10:39 PM']Perhaps it would be prudent for those who don't have an appreciation for Ellie to leave[/quote]

The argument is about Elton John. I haven't expressed an opinion about Ellie Goulding. I suppose you could call it thread drift, but don't blame me - it would be over if anyone still had anything to say about Ellie Goulding.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='Sibob' post='1043081' date='Nov 30 2010, 10:39 PM']If we could all CTFO that'd be lovely!

Perhaps it would be prudent for those who don't have an appreciation for Ellie to leave (seeing as it was started with love and not hate), and start a positive thread about an artist they enjoy.....much more fun than arguing the toss and being negative!

Si[/quote]
Not going to start a new thread but here is an artist I enjoy.

[quote name='Musky' post='1042916' date='Nov 30 2010, 08:42 PM']Err... If Lady GaGa is manufactured, she's manufactured herself.[/quote]

Lawsuits, both settled and pending, would suggest otherwise - including, but not limited to, the authorship of the moniker Lady GaGa. Interesting, if all claims against Ms Stefani Germanotta were found to be substantiated, there would be very little about the construct Lady GaGa that was Germanotta's original creation. It might go some way to explaining the somewhat schizophrenic nature of the album, The Fame, and why Germanotta is spending so much money, via private bargain and at public auction, buying up copies of her privately pressed prior commercial releases.

Edited by noelk27

I've come to the conclusion that there are some things I like and some things I don't like and some things I'm ambivalent towards. And that others take a contrary view in some instances from me, which I don't mind, I'm not one to force people to listen to what I like if they don't like it.
I've also found that if I hold my breath and then build up a lot of pressure in my head my ears make a squeaking noise and I get a nose bleed.
Carry on!

I'm not an Elton John fan, but for what it's worth I think some of the Elton John/Bernie Taupin compositions from the 70s (including Your Song) are rightly considered among the classics of the era.

Ms Goulding's interpretation of this song, to my ears, is wretched.

Jon.

[quote name='noelk27' post='1043109' date='Nov 30 2010, 11:01 PM']Lawsuits, both settled and pending, would suggest otherwise - including, but not limited to, the authorship of the moniker Lady GaGa. Interesting, if all claims against Ms Stefani Germanotta were found to be substantiated, there would be very little about the construct Lady GaGa that was Germanotta's original creation. It might go some way to explaining the somewhat schizophrenic nature of the album, The Fame, and why Germanotta is spending so much money, via private bargain and at public auction, buying up copies of her privately pressed prior commercial releases.[/quote]
I never knew that. But I'm not much of a fan of either Lady GaGa or Ellie Goulding. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1040712' date='Nov 29 2010, 07:22 AM']What were you drinking last night? It's as straightforward a statement as it's possible to make: I wouldn't choose to listen to either an X Factor song or an Elton John song, they would each hurt my ears and make me homicidal.

I don't really care how real someone's musicality is if they're doing Elton John covers. I wouldn't listen to Dead Milkmen do Candle In The Wind either. Would you?[/quote]
TNiT

I actually think I misread your statement, I thought you were insinuating that Ellie Goulding is an X-Factor wannabe. I apologise and retract my own statement.

However, it does not diminish the negative or provocative nature of your post. And I doubt the songs make you homicidal :)

Personally, I can't stand that song either, (or many of Elton's songs for that matter, but he is undeniably a great artist) and Ellie has not done anything to change that for me, I don't think she sang it particularly well either. I can't see the point of her doing it other than as a marketing exercise.

The whole notion of pimping songs to topple the X-Factor No1 is risible, stupid, pathetic, and the people signing up for it are exhibiting the exact same sheep-like characteristics as those buying into the X-Factor. It was a good idea last year, although I detest that horrible RATM number, but now the marketing guys have got hold of it.

Edited by silddx

I actually quite like Ellie's 'Your Song', only heard it on the tv (an advert is it?), but it's nice to hear a female voice doing the song....from that perspective, I don't think you can compare it to the male-sung original.

Si