Why become a member? ×

Elle Goulding

Linus27

[quote name='silddx' post='1043386' date='Dec 1 2010, 09:38 AM']TNiT

I actually think I misread your statement, ...[/quote]

Don't worry man, I have weathered the hoo-ha like always.

[quote name='silddx' post='1043386' date='Dec 1 2010, 09:38 AM']However, it does not diminish the negative or provocative nature of your post.[/quote]

I should sincerely hope not.

[quote name='silddx' post='1043386' date='Dec 1 2010, 09:38 AM']Personally, I can't stand that song either ... and Ellie has not done anything to change that for me, I don't think she sang it particularly well either. I can't see the point of her doing it other than as a marketing exercise.[/quote]

So we actually agree entirely about everything I said? I am now smiling at memories of the hoo-ha we've enjoyed from your one misplaced rebuttal on page one. :)

Just to say that when Gaga was as hot as anything last year and played many outdoor gigs, I never saw one..on the TV admittedly...where she was miming..and she gigged pretty much everything.
I wouldn't put her in the same league in that respect as Madonna, who is all production and has never been able to sing....or Kylie, who is even more that way inclined and is woeful vocally , but of course, is everyone's darling.

I think she ( Gaga ) can cut it live but is as mad as a box of frogs...but she sure knows how to work it.

I'd say her position in music now was valid based on talent, style and catalogue. Just my opinion

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1043583' date='Dec 1 2010, 11:40 AM']What's the problem? If someone doesn't like a certain type of music, that's up to them, you can't persuade someone to like something they don't.[/quote]
Who is trying to persaude anyone, mate?

Someone likes something, someone hates the same thing, viva la difference doesn't get us anywhere does it. It bloody boring, the debate is what is interesting.

Out of the recent flurry of female solo singers which have graced our charts and air waves, I think Ellie Goulding is indeed my favourite. Much respect for her, being a multi-instrumentalist and genuinely talented musician, and furthermore she comes across as a down-to-earth, "normal" character, where her success seems to come from her own talent and hard work; not just from a manufactured persona and reliance on sheer good looks alone, not that she lacks them of course.

I like Lady Ga-Ga, Ellie Goulding and metal.

Not ALL Lady Ga-Ga, not ALL Ellie Goulding and not ALL metal but generally I have time for all of it.

Not keen on EJ as a person cos I hear he's a bit of a jumped up nitwit but I can't deny he's got more than just a little bit of talent.

I've got a lot of respect for both the ladies I've mentioned (I don't include EJ in those two although I respect his music) as I've seen both do some great live stuff and both seem very genuine (if a little nuts in Lady G's case) when interviewed.

Ellie Goulding is also v - cute unlike Ga-Ga, EJ and 99.99999% of heavy metal (IMO)

[quote name='JTUK' post='1043658' date='Dec 1 2010, 12:17 PM']I think she ( Gaga ) ... is as mad as a box of frogs...but she sure knows how to work it.[/quote]

Well, she's clearly very talented and very intelligent...but the whole "zany" thing is just a well honed marketing ploy designed to look like it isn't a marketing ploy.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1044071' date='Dec 1 2010, 05:24 PM']Well, she's clearly very talented and very intelligent...but the whole "zany" thing is just a well honed marketing ploy designed to look like it isn't a marketing ploy.[/quote]

sure ...all publicity is good publicity etc etc ..just like all the judges rows and back-biting is dreamt up in the monday morning X factor strategy-for-the-week meeting. :)

Elton John's, Your Song is a classic IMO, it's from the 70's and takes me back to my first job, motorcycles and a generally great time of growing up.

This Ellie Goulding version is not good - what's the point? - why cover it?

Ellie sounds a lot like this new breed of female vocalists that sound breathy and voices like 4 year olds.

Kylie Minogue - 40 year old woman with a 4 year olds voice.

Duffy - sounds like she's on helium.

Proper voices like Annie Lennox, Chrissie Hind, Christine McVie, Alison Moyet, Dusty Springfield etc, take a lot of beating.

Annie Lennox lost her edge for me when she dropped the synthesizers and started using generic backing. You can go down the 'sophisticated middle aged performer' road without throwing away everything that made you unique.. plenty of people have a classically trained singing voice.

Edited by Oscar South

[quote name='steantval' post='1045412' date='Dec 2 2010, 06:07 PM']Elton John's, Your Song is a classic IMO, it's from the 70's and takes me back to my first job, motorcycles and a generally great time of growing up.

Ellie sounds a lot like this new breed of female vocalists that sound breathy and voices like 4 year olds.

Proper voices like Annie Lennox, Chrissie Hind, Christine McVie, Alison Moyet, Dusty Springfield etc, take a lot of beating.[/quote]
Couldn't agree more - my partner (a female singer with a very powerful set of pipes) calls them special needs/speech impediment singers.

And this song in question is, surprisingly enough, a Christmas advertisement for some department store. Bill Hicks was right.

J.

[quote name='steantval' post='1045412' date='Dec 2 2010, 06:07 PM']Elton John's, Your Song is a classic IMO, it's from the 70's and takes me back to my first job, motorcycles and a generally great time of growing up.

Proper voices like Annie Lennox, Chrissie Hind, Christine McVie, Alison Moyet, Dusty Springfield etc, take a lot of beating.[/quote]

+1 on that. I utterly can't stand that style of vocals at all. Give us a girl who can sing with a bit of power any day (a bit of screamo/hardcore vocal ability wouldn't go amiss either )

I've seen that advert actually. Yeah it's pretty dire. What's so great about it? I mean my sister can (and does) do just as good if not a better job of doing a cover version of it...

Edited by EdwardHimself

Just heard that version on the radio and have to say it is pretty poor.
Totally wrong vocal style, IMV.
I have heard her do stuff that is quite interesting but hardly likely to elevate her up the ladder too much and that is probably her problem... which way to go to improve on the groovy indie chick thing?

For the price of a few xmas sales, her credibility has probably taken a big hit.. tough call..!!

[quote name='JTUK' post='1046504' date='Dec 3 2010, 04:20 PM']and that is probably her problem...[/quote]

She seems to be doing alright from what I have seen, I know for a fact she is selling out on her live dates because the lad I work with wanted some with no luck. Certainly got a bigger fanbase than most of us thats for sure....