Why become a member? ×

digitech bass chorus - x-series multi voice

Al Heeley

Seen these in shops and ebay, anyone here have one or tried one?

[url="http://www.digitech.com/products/Pedals/BassChorus.php"]http://www.digitech.com/products/Pedals/BassChorus.php[/url]

Are they any good? I'm looking for a fuller, deeper sound than I can get from my Boss CEB3, without paying boutique prices for posh stuff (like EBS for example) £120 for a chorus is a bit too much for me, £50 - £60 is manageable.

I like the idea of the 1 -> 16 voice levels, but are they ok live for bass?

Edited by Al Heeley

I've had one of these for a couple of years. Picked it up 2nd hand for £35, looked completely unused.

Its been very reliable both at gigs and for studio use and the tone is constant. I've not noticed any degradation in my bass tone when it is bypassed.

Its very easy to use and dial in a useful sound, which can go from adding a subtle sheen to a quite over the top sound that is still usable in certain songs.

With my acoustic bass it sounds very lush and full and really thickens up the sound on my electric. I often use it in conjunction with my other pedals (ODB-3, FZ-2, SYB-5) which accentuates the harmonics.

The amp sim that you get with it is okay but not great. Though I have used it when I've gone direct to PA through a DI mainly with the acoustic and it does add a little something. I don't tend to use the emulator often though as it is no substitute for an amp and cab.

Of the few choruses that i have used it is my prefered pedal and would replace it with the same if it was to break. Its a sturdy pedal so as long as the electrics stay fine there should be no problem.

On the negative side it eats batteries so get a power supply (I use a Harley Benton Power Plant - works fine). It also has a digitally sound which is a bit crisper and cleaner than an analogue pedal, but I like this as as I mentioned before helps accentuate the harmonics especially when running though an overdrive before in the signal chain.

Thanks, I decided to get me one, its certainly a lot lusher, fuller than the CEB-3, gives me a much stronger chorus than the Boss pedal is capable of, if I want it, but also can be quite subtle. It has a sort of metallic tone to it - I guess being digital, the Boss is sort of warmer and rounder, but as you say it really does accentuate the harmonics and its done a much better job for what i want it for. I've got it mains-powered on my pedalboard, the only thing I'm not entierly clear about is how to activate the cab sim mode and how not to. Are yoou supposed to keep the footswitch held down when u plug in?

Glad you decided to get yourself one.

You're right about how to turn on the cab sim, just hold down the pedal as you plug it in. Its not an obvious effect and there are no controls other than on and off, but it is there and can be useful.

Hope you enjoy the pedal.
Matthew