Why become a member? ×

FS Doug Wilkes Custom 4 string fretted (UK)

Lewibassist

Hello everyone

Here i have for sale my Doug Wilkes custom 4 string fretted bass guitar. Unfortunately i have this bass for sale as it is not getting the use and love it deserves. Doug himself made this bass from his home workshop approximately 6 years ago back in the summer of 2004. Since i received the guitar it has undergone at the most 3 gigs and very little practice time, thus meaning that this guitar is in exactly the same condition as the day i picked it up of Doug. The guitar has just undergone a full service by Doug himself, and is in excellent condition. This bass plays beautifully, the kent armstrong pickups offer great tone and versatility and the overall build quality is outstanding and must been seen to be fully appreciated.

I can appreciate that Doug Wilkes maybe unknown to a lot of people, in response I have attached a link to Doug's website so you can view and appreciate the quality in which he produces [url="http://www.wilkesguitars.co.uk/"]Doug Wilkes Guitars Website[/url]

Bass Guitar Spec:

Mahogany Body
Quilted maple top
7 piece through neck
Custom veneered headstock featuring Doug Wilkes decal
Active electronics
Kent armstrong pick-ups
Individual pick-up volume control knobs
Bass and treble control knobs
Strap locks
Jack input locking system

I will unfortunately limit the sale to the UK due to courier & shipping costs. If anyone has any questions please do not hesitate to pm me, i can supply more pictures if needed. I am based in the midlands (Shropshire/Cheshire).

SOLD!!!

Thank you for looking.

Lewis C

Edited by Lewibassist

[quote name='Lewibassist' post='881005' date='Jun 29 2010, 02:38 PM']Hello everyone

Here i have for sale my Doug Wilkes custom 4 string fretted bass guitar. Unfortunately i have this bass for sale as it is not getting the use and love it deserves. Doug himself made this bass from his home workshop approximately 6 years ago back in the summer of 2004. Since i received the guitar it has undergone at the most 3 gigs and very little practice time, thus meaning that this guitar is in exactly the same condition as the day i picked it up of Doug. The guitar has just undergone a full service by Doug himself, and is in excellent condition. This bass plays beautifully, the kent armstrong pickups offer great tone and versatility and the overall build quality is outstanding and must been seen to be fully appreciated.

I can appreciate that Doug Wilkes maybe unknown to a lot of people, in response I have attached a link to Doug's website so you can view and appreciate the quality in which he produces [url="http://www.wilkesguitars.co.uk/"]Doug Wilkes Guitars Website[/url]

Bass Guitar Spec:

Mahogany Body
Quilted maple top
7 piece through neck
Custom veneered headstock featuring Doug Wilkes decal
Active electronics
Kent armstrong pick-ups
Individual pick-up volume control knobs
Bass and treble control knobs
Strap locks
Jack input locking system

I will unfortunately limit the sale to the UK due to courier & shipping costs. If anyone has any questions please do not hesitate to pm me, i can supply more pictures if needed. I am based in the midlands (Shropshire/Cheshire). I am looking for £600 English pounds but will take sensible offers. Trades are possible depending on what is offered.

Thank you for looking.

Lewis C[/quote]
where are you located

Hello

To answer Tom1946 question there is no marks by the nut, i can see on the picture that it does appear to but i think may have just been a bit of dust and fabric, as i was in the process of dusting it due it collecting a lot of dust while it was at Doug's workshop.

I am currently located by Shrewsbury, but am moving to Chester very soon.

Thank you for your questions

Lewis C

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely looking bass - he has made some cracking stuff, I have an old fretless.

So, curiosity begs me to ask . . . Why?

Did he make it for you and then you didn't like it or was it something
you aquired but never got attached to?
What is it about the bass the doesn't light your fire?

Yours
Curious Eric, :)

Hello flateric

Good questions.

To answer them, i loved the bass when i had it made, and still do very much. But due to a change of circumstances and interests i gave bass up to follow my interests and study sports science at university, thus taking myself away from music altogether. During my time at university i kept the bass in great condition in the hope that one day i would pick it up again and give it the attention it deserves. However i feel this day will not come, and i want someone to give it use and attention it deserves. I hope this answers your questions.

Many thanks

Lewis

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Lewibassist' post='905168' date='Jul 25 2010, 08:10 PM']Bumppp

I am possibly contemplating ebay for this very soon, anyone interested? really want it to go to a good home.

Please mail me if you would like to view the bass is currently located in Chester.

Thanks everyone[/quote]

NOOOOO Don't evilbay it!!!

aa good question! i may not be able to give you a great answer, but i will try :)

From what i have experienced it produces a lovely rich punchy tone, however i have not played with it enough to enjoy its full range of tone.

In comparison to my warwick streamer, it blows it out of the water, from gigging experience it really cuts through well and retains that great tone, i may have failed to mention it has an active preamp.

My apologies for my poor attempt at describing the sound, but hope this helps :rolleyes:

Anyone is welcome to come and give it a try!