Why become a member? ×

Strings for extreme down tuning

onenation

Hi All,

I am tuning the 5 string down to A (A.D.G.C.F) and the strings that are on it are flapping round like crazy. I don't know what gauge they are, but they need replaced! In my experinece of guitar tunings, the lower you go, the thicker the strings, I take it this applies to basses too?

What I need to know is which make/gauge of strings would be most suited to this type of extreme downtuning. Also the best website/shop to buy 5 string sets. I can find heavy gauge sets for 4 strings, but nothing for 5's.

Thanks in advance,

A.

[quote name='onenation' post='878101' date='Jun 26 2010, 12:57 PM']Hi All,

I am tuning the 5 string down to A (A.D.G.C.F) and the strings that are on it are flapping round like crazy. I don't know what gauge they are, but they need replaced! In my experinece of guitar tunings, the lower you go, the thicker the strings, I take it this applies to basses too?

What I need to know is which make/gauge of strings would be most suited to this type of extreme downtuning. Also the best website/shop to buy 5 string sets. I can find heavy gauge sets for 4 strings, but nothing for 5's.

Thanks in advance,

A.[/quote]

Had a Hipshot on my old stage bass that was set to A, I used to run Elites in 125 or 130 depending on what the shop had, never had too many probs

Thanks for the replys, I appreciate the help.

So a set of 130's would do the job for A tuning? I was thinking it would require big thick strings like 175's, but wanted to be sure before ordering as I don't fancy chucking away £40 odd on the wrong thing.

I see that DDT do heavy gauge five string sets which are 55-75-95-115-135 I think thats what I'll go for. Thanks for putting me on to these retroman.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='878153' date='Jun 26 2010, 02:11 PM']That's not really extreme tbh. Extreme would be taking you E down to A and beyond.[/quote]

I'm playing Death Metal, in the vein of Entombed, Suffocation, Mortician, etc, the whole bass is tuned down 3 1/2 steps from E to A. (A,D,G,C,F). I thought that was pretty extreme! Do other bands go lower still? Damn!

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='878333' date='Jun 26 2010, 06:23 PM']Sepultura go to Ab and Deftones use 8 string guitars for some stupid low tunings (G#). I assume the bassist matches as he's only playing a 4 string in the Hexagram video![/quote]

Aye, the guitarists in this band* play seven and also (custom made) eight string guitars, for that super heavy vibe!

I used to be very into Sepultura, but I didn't really like Roots, or anything after Max left. But I'm picky!!

*I'm being deliberatly vague about the name of the band, as they are a signed band writing their third studio album, and the official announcement has not yet been made about the new lineup. Don't want to step on anyone's toes or piss off the record co.

[quote name='onenation' post='878317' date='Jun 26 2010, 06:03 PM']I'm playing Death Metal, in the vein of Entombed, Suffocation, Mortician, etc, the whole bass is tuned down 3 1/2 steps from E to A. (A,D,G,C,F). I thought that was pretty extreme! Do other bands go lower still? Damn![/quote]

They sure do, Death Metal is often tuned up to my ears now (usually around D-standard), take a look at these silly gauges:

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/2639-warwick_black_label_darklord_bass_strings"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/26...rd_bass_strings[/url]
Warwick Darklord set
F# B E A
.085 / .105 / .135 / .175

That's friggin armoured cable your playing!
And it's not just warwick, it's gettin to be popular enough for Rotosound to join in and a mega fraction of price:

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/5806-rotosound_drop_zone_plus_stainless_steel_rs66lh_85_175"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/58...l_rs66lh_85_175[/url]
Rotosound Drop zone +
85 / 105 / 135 / 175

I occationally de-tuned my B down to G# if I really need to, but with guitarists being in Drop-B as middle ground, I just use my 6-string in standard...I don't like detuning much, bass isn't built for it as well as guitar and not many amps can handle it.
I use 45 / 65 / 80 / 110 for 4-string standard tho and the same but with 30 high-C and 135-145 low-B also in standard so I guess detuning makes my bass feel alien as the guage is already the same as you would use to detune.

For A tho, which isn't very detuned (Korn used that tuning), you can get away with a 130 or 135 depending on your bass, scale length and playstyle.
For crazy tap solo's and the like many Death Metal bassists do, a little slack wont hurt ya. :)
The bassist from Meshuggah (STUPID 8-string detuning) actually tunes his bass UP a half step tho (Bb,F,A#,D#,G#), so if you ever get into the really detuned side to the point your amp can't do it, might as well be in the same octave haha!
Have fun.

Edited by Kongo

It still amazes me how many people lump ridiculous gauge strings onto their bass in order to droptune well.
All you need is higher tension strings!. I was using 45-105 strings in C Standard (C,F,Bb,Eb) with an action and tension similar to standard tuning, due to high tension strings*.
Give 'Newtone Strings' a call, tell them what tuning you're in, your preferred normal guage, and they'll try and work out the best avenue. Custom wound strings, usually the same price, sometimes cheaper, than off the shelf brands that are not wound for purpose.

Si

*Bear in mind that much higher tension strings often won't go up to standard tuning, they're wound for droptuning.

[quote name='Sibob' post='879543' date='Jun 28 2010, 09:11 AM']It still amazes me how many people lump ridiculous gauge strings onto their bass in order to droptune well.
All you need is higher tension strings!. I was using 45-105 strings in C Standard (C,F,Bb,Eb) with an action and tension similar to standard tuning, due to high tension strings*.
Give 'Newtone Strings' a call, tell them what tuning you're in, your preferred normal guage, and they'll try and work out the best avenue. Custom wound strings, usually the same price, sometimes cheaper, than off the shelf brands that are not wound for purpose.

Si

*Bear in mind that much higher tension strings often won't go up to standard tuning, they're wound for droptuning.[/quote]

Are Newtone any good? I've been hearing a LOT of hype from players about these and am VERY interested.
I ADORE D'addario don't get me wrong but when it comes to custom gauge u can forget it...at least to somebody like me anyways.
I'm open to options here if they are that good.

[quote name='Sibob' post='880566' date='Jun 29 2010, 01:13 AM']Yup, I think they're that good! :)

Si[/quote]

I'll take the dive and have a look see. But my usual string stockist is out of stock of em and on top of that, the site says theres a *shock* 28 day delivery time!
That being said, with a backlog like that, they ain't going out of business soon. And if they can cater for your needs as a player, instead of just "selling strings", then they sound like my kinda people.
Ain't used nickel in ages tho...gonna be an odd transition.

Malcolm really takes the time to figure out what you need, although sometimes he'll put you onto his bass guy for more in-depth bass chats

There's a long turn around because:
1) They're in demand
2) Your strings are custom wound, not picked off the shelf packs

The best thing to do is order a few packs at a time, I think they have now introduced a minimum order. I don't know for sure because I always order a few sets to make the most of the long wait time.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='880573' date='Jun 29 2010, 01:33 AM']Malcolm really takes the time to figure out what you need, although sometimes he'll put you onto his bass guy for more in-depth bass chats

There's a long turn around because:
1) They're in demand
2) Your strings are custom wound, not picked off the shelf packs

The best thing to do is order a few packs at a time, I think they have now introduced a minimum order. I don't know for sure because I always order a few sets to make the most of the long wait time.

Si[/quote]

Indeed.
Minimum order is 2 sets, I'm gonna test drive em on my 4-string before going for a 6-string set to get a feel for em.

Are the DDTs new, I've not seen these before? Usually people recommend DR Lo-Riders for drop tuning since they are hex core and stiffer.

I have DR Sunbeams 45-130 on my BB415, I can drop a whole step to A tuning just fine. I don't think you need much higher guages unless you're going down even further - I'd love to try out F#BEAD tuning myself!

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='880577' date='Jun 29 2010, 01:53 AM']Are the DDTs new, I've not seen these before? Usually people recommend DR Lo-Riders for drop tuning since they are hex core and stiffer.

I have DR Sunbeams 45-130 on my BB415, I can drop a whole step to A tuning just fine. I don't think you need much higher guages unless you're going down even further - I'd love to try out F#BEAD tuning myself![/quote]

Switched my high-C for a low-F# on my 6-string once with a .145 at the time (was the thickest I could find), it didn't flop too much but the sound was...great but a tad low for both the bass and the amp at the time.
Prob work with my Yamaha TRB6 and TE combination tho.
with a .175 I imagine the sound could be HUGE! If I didn't use my high-C as much as I do I'd get a .175 and go for it again.

Have a go.

wow. what a complex web!! :)

I too have an issue with my E string flapping (it's C#). One band I play with tunes to C# F# B E. The other band further drops the C# to B. I hit a lot of open C#s and on some riffs I can catch the string wrong, and if I'm being excitable I might even miss the bloody thing altogether!! I want to rock, not stand there!! grr :rolleyes:

I have a set of Rotosound Swing Bass Stainless 45-65-80-105's (Standard - Long) from Stringbusters.com, as suggested by a 5 String Ibanez Death Metal playing friend.

It seems that a lot of you are saying those gauges should be fine, but Im still having this flapping issue. We do tune low and we do play slow Sabbathy type stuff so there's a lot of open string every now and then. I know Im really going to have to practice and hone my style to stop missing notes and stuff, but there's a thick line between perfection and Rock. I use a Geddy Lee Jazz, I love the neck and I'm not about to solve this by buying a 5 string. I take note of the suggestions on plucking across rather than into the strings!

[size=3]So, I'm wondering about 50 70 85 110 (Heavy - Long) or 65 80 105 130 (Drop Tuning - Long) ?[/size] any thoughts on that? would the tension help?

I see mention of Newtone Taylor and DR DDT's but if these are expensive and the cheaper Rotosound ones do the trick, that'd save a few quid?

Edited by Chest Rockwell

[quote name='Chest Rockwell' post='882822' date='Jul 1 2010, 11:20 AM'][size=3]So, I'm wondering about 50 70 85 110 (Heavy - Long) or 65 80 105 130 (Drop Tuning - Long) ?[/size] any thoughts on that? would the tension help?[/quote]

In my main band we tune DGCF as standard and CGCF for quite a few songs. I use normal 50-110 strings which are perfect for DGCF but the low C is a little floppy (but perfectly playable) for CGCF tuning.

• 3 months later...