Why become a member? ×

Help - need advice on sore fingers!

Belinda

I'm sure someone out there has some useful advice :rolleyes: I received my Aria EUB yesterday and took it to rehearsal - left hand is fine but, maybe because I was switching between bass guitar and eub, my fingers are very sore on the right (2 small cracks too!!).

Ordinarily I wouldn't be concerned except that I have a gig tomorrow afternoon :) Does anyone have any suggestions to tide me over, apart from not playing ?

Hopefully yours :lol:

Belinda

[quote name='thisnameistaken' date='Jun 26 2010, 11:16 AM' post='878042']
Cracks?!? Blisters I've heard of but cracks? How hard are your callouses?

I don't have callouses - and the skin has been fine for bass. I'm sure it's bad technique on a new instrument :) THe cracks are very small and not deep but I just know they will get worse!! As for playing with a pick - I've never used one and the band is a swing /40's /jazz and so the band leader wants a "soft" tone - if you know what I mean :rolleyes:

Belinda

I can't really imagine what your fingertips are doing, I've never had that. Is your gig tomorrow a bass guitar gig? If you're picking over the end of the neck the lower tension will be easier on your fingers and if give yourself plenty of headroom on the amp you shouldn't have to pick hard. Apart from that I don't think I have any advice for you.

Oh, and don't do any washing up today, or anything similar.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='878055' date='Jun 26 2010, 11:37 AM']I can't really imagine what your fingertips are doing, I've never had that. Is your gig tomorrow a bass guitar gig? If you're picking over the end of the neck the lower tension will be easier on your fingers and if give yourself plenty of headroom on the amp you shouldn't have to pick hard. Apart from that I don't think I have any advice for you.

Oh, and don't do any washing up today, or anything similar.[/quote]

Love the sound of that!!!! No washing up by order of Basschat.co.uk - fantastic :rolleyes:

The gig is mainly bass but after last night they at least want the eub on the slow walking bass lines - it does sound very nice :)

Belinda

Yeah best thing to do is make sure your amp is loud, then, so you'll pick softer. Can't guarantee it won't hurt at first though.

BTW (as was recommended to me only a short while ago) you really shouldn't be picking an upright the same way you pick bass guitar. You should be using the side of your fingers really, with your hand more parallel with the strings than perpendicular. Hold your hand like you're auditioning for a zombie movie, then butt it up to the side of the fingerboard and you should have it just right!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='878068' date='Jun 26 2010, 11:58 AM']Yeah best thing to do is make sure your amp is loud, then, so you'll pick softer. Can't guarantee it won't hurt at first though.

BTW (as was recommended to me only a short while ago) you really shouldn't be picking an upright the same way you pick bass guitar. You should be using the side of your fingers really, with your hand more parallel with the strings than perpendicular. Hold your hand like you're auditioning for a zombie movie, then butt it up to the side of the fingerboard and you should have it just right![/quote]

Try and find a Ray Brown YouTube and you will see his right hand technique. That's a great example to follow. Good advice to up the volume on your amp although, other things being OK, I generally like to pluck hard. When I first started there were no amps for DB and I had to work quite hard. I used to wrap Prestoband round my first and second RH fingers. I don't do it now and wouldn't normally recommend it any more, but if you have problems you could use it as a short term 'band aid'.

i've known a few people to have small cuts on their fingers before a gig (non instrument related) and use superglue to seal them up so it doesnt effect your playing. works well, sounds dodgy... but cyanoacrylate (superglue) was developed to seal wounds in vietnam originally.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='878068' date='Jun 26 2010, 11:58 AM']BTW (as was recommended to me only a short while ago) you really shouldn't be picking an upright the same way you pick bass guitar. You should be using the side of your fingers really, with your hand more parallel with the strings than perpendicular. Hold your hand like you're auditioning for a zombie movie, then butt it up to the side of the fingerboard and you should have it just right![/quote]

This could be the cause of the problem - your fingers have toughened up where you play bass guitar but you are using a slightly different area for EUB which hasn't toughened up yet. Plastic skin as a last resort. Need to re-apply during breaks but helped me out once.

If the calouses are not formed I found that softing the skin helps if you need to play.I would say, wash your hands in nice warm water, dry them , moisturise with your favourite "extra strong Norwegian Fisherman Hand-Cream" and rest - drink water, keep yourself hydrated.

On the day, grease your playing fingers by rubbing them on your nose (if you have a oily one) or by eating a bit of chicken " a la Jaco" (yes laugh now but you all will be trying that later on).

If you have irregular calouses then just rub your fingers lightly on smooth side of a fingernail file or other fine grain surface to smooth down the skin (Ron Carter...enough said)

If this advice does not work on you, them take two panadol based tablets and just bleed for your music....is just the way it goes...

ps:...avoid spicy chicken, although it tastes better,it tends to burn on blisters and unprotected flesh. :)

Edited by CoolCat

+1 for playing on the side of your finger instead of the tips. I literally have a callous on the side of my finger from my fingernail to my last knuckle.

Another tip would be to lower the action (if possible) so you have less tension to work with. Superglue has gotten me through a few tough gigs, but so has some electrical tape. Not ideal by any means, but it worked.

And good luck!!!

[quote name='CoolCat' post='880073' date='Jun 28 2010, 04:58 PM']On the day, grease your playing fingers by rubbing them on your nose (if you have a oily one) or by eating a bit of chicken " a la Jaco" (yes laugh now but you all will be trying that later on).[/quote]
[quote name='bob_pickard' post='880275' date='Jun 28 2010, 08:28 PM']eeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

If you think that's 'ewww' check the TB stickied thread on [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72489"]making new strings sound dead[/url] ... goes way beyond nose grease and fried chicken into NSFW territory.

My favourite link from the thread ... anyone want to [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNJ1g18fmwg"]try this on upright[/url] ?

If you want to speed the healing process, get yourself an Aloe Vera plant. Cut an end off the spikey fleshy leaves and squeeze the gunk out onto your wounds. Works a treat, might sting a bit at first if it's really deep but it'll help the wound to heal quicker than any chemicals.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='880522' date='Jun 28 2010, 11:39 PM']If you think that's 'ewww' check the TB stickied thread on [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72489"]making new strings sound dead[/url] ... goes way beyond nose grease and fried chicken into NSFW territory.

My favourite link from the thread ... anyone want to [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNJ1g18fmwg"]try this on upright[/url] ?[/quote]

My previous post was just for comical effect (I think you gathered that), however BigBeatNut, thanks for the link above, all looks delicious....and the chicken is probably not bad either !! :)

Belinda I am not being very constructive towards your question however hand cream works for me on healing dry skin on sore fingers.

Good luck. Let us know how it went.

Edited by CoolCat

[quote name='CoolCat' post='880073' date='Jun 28 2010, 04:58 PM']On the day, grease your playing fingers by rubbing them on your nose (if you have a oily one) or by eating a bit of chicken " a la Jaco" (yes laugh now but you all will be trying that later on).[/quote]

This works... I put a new set of Thomastik flatwounds on my Musicman just before rehearsal on Thursday and struggled all evening with a nasaly, twangy sound. On Friday I had the obligatory KFC on the way home from the pub and then had a good old noodle into the wee small hours. Did a gig on Saturday night and the strings sounded lovely and warm and mellow and yes, funky.

I'm stil not going to rub my bass with a chicken though, It's just wrong.

[quote name='TheRev' post='881657' date='Jun 30 2010, 10:05 AM']This works... I put a new set of Thomastik flatwounds on my Musicman just before rehearsal on Thursday and struggled all evening with a nasaly, twangy sound. On Friday I had the obligatory KFC on the way home from the pub and then had a good old noodle into the wee small hours. Did a gig on Saturday night and the strings sounded lovely and warm and mellow and yes, funky.

I'm stil not going to rub my bass with a chicken though, It's just wrong.[/quote]

Could you recommend a vegetarian/vegan option please....?

[quote name='Colledge' post='878285' date='Jun 26 2010, 05:23 PM']i've known a few people to have small cuts on their fingers before a gig (non instrument related) and use superglue to seal them up so it doesnt effect your playing. works well, sounds dodgy... but cyanoacrylate (superglue) was developed to seal wounds in vietnam originally.[/quote]

Exactly! I used to be a machine operator and sliced my fingertips on a regular ba(s)sis. A tube of Loctite saved me many times over and the real beauty of it is that it grows out of the wound like a scab and prevents infection. Apply with a pin though, otherwise you'll be even less able to play...

• 3 weeks later...